ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Guests

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/28/10 11:14 AM Views: 1968 Replies: 9
Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 11:14 AM

Sorry if this was covered already or is on the way.
Can we get a tab for "Guest" like the Classmates and Teachers?

Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 3:10 PM - Response #1

Not at the moment no. It's something we could consider in 2011 though. We could build in a "Guests" link that when activated would display your Guests on a separate page instead of your Classmate Profiles page like the system does currently.

Monday, November 29, 2010 at 10:28 AM - Response #2

I guess this will take a little thought because on second thought I am not sure if I care if Guests are listed seperatly. It sort of makes sense but not sure if needed.
Maybe a poll?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 3:36 AM - Response #3

Sure we can make it an informal poll here. I suspect most Admins will want to continue showing guests where they are as it's easier to find them on the Profiles page not to mention one less thing to click. Could be wrong though so let's see if anyone would like to weigh in here. Should we allow Guests to be displayed separately from Classmates on their own "Guests" tab? Or should we continue displaying them on the Profiles page below the actual Classmates? If we allow it the Guests tab would be optional, so really the question is should we even offer the option at all? Would anyone prefer a Guests tab?

Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 8:12 AM - Response #4

On the topic of Guests and their placements. I like the guests on the main page under the profiles. My Classmates call just scroll down to see who in other classes have joined the site. We can't find any teachers so I don't use that option, but I have lots of guests on my site. I think it is visually more user friendly.
Connie Hope

Edited 11/30/10 8:13 AM
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 8:20 AM - Response #5

I wouldn't be interested in a Guest tab, but I would like it if there could be a way to notate "guest" on profile updates on the homepage and whenever they post.

Here's a partial fix that might work for Ray too. Would it be possible to get a "Guest" notation at the top of a guest's profile? It is kind of confusing to see a name you don't recognize on the homepage updates and then when you click on the name, there is no mention of the fact that they are are guest on their profile. If you follow them from the homepage, the only way you would know they are a guest is to know to go back to the "Classmate Profiles" list.

I tried resolving this on my own by adding a notation (I see Connie did this too) to my guest, Cheryl Wegrzyn Ford. With her married name, it comes out like this: Cheryl Wegrzyn (Ford - Class of 1969 - Guest) I would have liked to leave Ford in parenthesis and then add the guest info, but how? Hoping Brad has a better idea!Idea

Edited 11/30/10 12:03 PM
Tuesday, November 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM - Response #6

I'm happy with the Guests listed where they are.

Looking forward to the day when a single-year site such as ours can have a third category on that page... Teachers. As it is right now in our Guest list we have 7 bona fide guests interspersed between 54 deceased teachers (with obituaries) and 1 living teacher. Our living guests have to search through a lot of roses to find their names.

Friday, January 28, 2011 at 2:57 AM - Response #7

I'm with Jim Minor - We have over 30 Teacher obituaries and it seems very odd to call someone that has been dead for 30 or 40 years as a guest on our website. That and it does take some searching to find a real guest. Even being able to change it to "Others" would be an improvement.

Friday, January 28, 2011 at 11:35 AM - Response #8

We'll definitely denote "Guest Member" on the Profile itself. A very good idea, thank you.

We can't add a Teachers option directly to single year sites and that would cause teachers to have to join and maintain numerous accounts on different web sites, but after the Class Creator 3.0 upgrades coming this year we'll be working on a single year site shared teacher repository system that was discussed here last year.

Friday, January 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM - Response #9

I'd like to add our opinion that it would be a good idea to denote "Guest Member" on the guest's profile. We're a single year site, so have to co-mingle teachers among guests. In the long run, we'd also prefer a separate place to show the teachers.

We decided that we would only allow guests on our site who were sponsored by a classmate, and that guests had to have either a connection to our school (e.g. from another year class) or a connection to a classmate (e.g., sister, brother, daughter, etc.). We also agreed to show that connection after the guest's name.

I also struggled with how to show a married name and the guest's connection, and ended up putting both the married name (in parentheses) and the connection in the last/maiden name field, e.g. "maiden name (married name) - connection," then leaving the married name field blank. We also changed the link title from Classmates Profiles to Classmates & Guests. We just decided this last week and only have one guest like this so far, she is shown as Libet Lingley (Gardner) - sister.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.