ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Question for Brad Photo/text distortion

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/10/09 08:04 PM Views: 1255 Replies: 6
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Maybe I should explain my issue another way. I have numerous photos with text that I upload to one of the customizable site pages. I had all photos/text aligned the way I wanted. I logged off, got back on and this time photos/text are not as I left them. In fact, part of the line on the left side of the page which looks like part of a picture frame (part of the template I chose) has moved out farther to the right! However, on a different site page all photos/text are still aligned. What did I do wrong??? And how can I stableize the photos from being/looking distorted?

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 8:12 PM - Response #1

Please give me an example page you're having trouble with and I'll take a look.

Also, try putting in the nohardspace tag at the very top of your page. That tells our system to not "mess with" your stuff at all after you save your page. See:

1) FAQs link above
2) Click Questions About Maintaining Your Site
3) Read Question #18

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM - Response #2

Please check out the site page titled Arcola Reunion Album and see how wide part of the page has become. It can be compared with More Reunion Photos.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 8:28 PM - Response #3

For whatever the reason that line I referred to on the right side of the template is now where it should be again. Not sure why, because for the last hour it has been misaligned with itself.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM - Response #4

You had 4 photos in a row horizontally near the bottom of your page that were causing the blowout. It's a little hard to see this in your editor -- the window is smaller so the extra two photos looked like they were wrapping onto the next line. But in reality all 4 were side by side, blowing out the page.

Let me tell you a much, much better way to do this type of layout: First, don't press the space bar numerous times in a row to attempt to format your page. Your lucky this hasn't caused an issue yet, but sooner or later you'll press space one too many times and blow out your page. Click here to learn why this will happen.

Next, when you're creating a two column photo layout like this, simply insert a 2 column table with however many rows you need. Put each photo in its own table cell. And immediately after your photo hold down the shift key while pressing the Enter key to advance down only 1 line, and then type your caption. Center all cells within the table. This will hold your layout together a hundred times better than trying to format it with your space bar. Honestly though I have to commenend you, considering the way you're attempting to do this, it's absolutely amazing you got it to look this good. Give my table suggestion a whirl though, you won't believe how much easier this is with a table than trying to eye everything like you're doing in your little editor window.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 9:45 PM - Response #5

Brad, thank you very much for your help! I was pulling my hair out, but I took your suggestion and reworked that site page with tables. It isn't perfect but so much better! Thank you again! Now there is just one teensy little issue remaining with that page.

When you enter that page at the top right - the line is 'blown out' as you and your support staff put it and I haven't been able to fix it. It does not show up when in edit mode. Could you or someone on the support staff go in and see why the top of the page is 'blown out?' I am working on getting the hang of this.

Thanks! Virginia

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 10:26 PM - Response #6

You might want to consider setting your table borders to 0 so you cannot see them on the page. You'll still see the borders in the editor as you work, but setting the border to 0 will hade the borders on your live page.

In this case you have one or more cases of two photos being side by side that have a combined width that is wider than the room you have available within your design. The simple solution for this is to:

1) Delete the wide photos and upload slighly smaller photos instead
2) Grab the image handles and resize the photos just a tad until the design no longer blows out.

I'm not sure exactly why photos are the cause here, but a good place to begin is by scanning the page and see which photos on the page stick out the most to the right. It's a good bet that it's that pair that is too wide. Resize any wide photo pairs down until the design no longer blows out.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.