ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How does one utilize Anchors?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/23/08 11:49 PM Views: 1926 Replies: 5
Tuesday, September 23, 2008 at 11:49 PM

I'm ok with links, but cannot figure how to use anchors. Our Home Page is very "vertical" and I thought an anchor at top that would bring readers to the bottom would help, but cannot figure out how to identify the item I'm anchoring to...for that matter, actually, I'm just stumped on anchors. Maybe I think they should do something they're not meant to do.

Barbara LaPointe

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 12:21 AM - Response #1

I'll copy a snipped from an html tutorial explaining named anchors below. This shows you the code, but you can accomplish the same thing using the icons on your menu.

------------------------
Although this is a very elementary feature of HTML, most of use tend to forget how it is done...

First of all we must mark the "Named Anchor". At the target location we enter:

In order to jump to this target location (the named anchor) we can use the tag. For example:

This is my target

Note the "#"-symbol in front of the name of the anchor. This is done to avoid confusion for your websbrowser. Normally (without the "#"-symbol) the browser would start looking for a file named "MyTarget".

Named anchors can be placed on one page as many as you like.

The tag does not need to be in a particular position related to the Anchor, eithr above or below will work. Your browser will simply start at the top of the HTML-file (page) looking for the first occurance of the named anchor that matches the name it is looking for.

Note: A second named anchor with the same name is useless, since your browser always starts at the top of a webpage. This way it will never reach the second named anchor.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 11:21 AM - Response #2

Suggestion: Have different "Standard" elements named by an Anchor Name. For example, name the "Missing Classmates" section (in the right-hand column) by an anchor. Since the "Missing Classmates" is always at the bottom of the screen and needs to be scrolled down to, I am not sure anyone has seen it.

If "Missing Classmates" had an anchor, I could put on my home page at the top "Why don't you invite a missing classmate? Click Here." and make it a link to the "Missing Classmates" anchor, which would then allow an e-mail address to send an invite.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 11:45 AM - Response #3

You could always move your This Day In History box to your content column -- that would move our Missing Classmates box up quite a bit. Just a thought.

Tell me any other elements site wide you'd like to have default anchor tags placed at. Then I'll place them and give you a list of anchor names. Only people on the web savvy end of things are going to use this, but for those people who would like to, we can easily pop in the anchor names.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 12:01 PM - Response #4

Class Creator wrote:

You could always move your This Day In History box to your content column -- that would move our Missing Classmates box up quite a bit. Just a thought.

I instead did a "View Source" and looked at the "Missing Classmates" section to see if there was an anchor. When there wasn't, I copied the FORM and Input fields so that I could place the "Send Invite" button at the top of my home page and added some custom text.

As to which elements should have anchors, I haven't thought about that

Thursday, September 25, 2008 at 8:30 PM - Response #5

Well that was pretty darned creative of you! Smile

Soon you'll be able to specify the sort order of all right hand modules. Thus you can actually move that entire box up to the top of the page, if you wish.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.