ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Links before Domain Link

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/10/09 11:53 AM Views: 1284 Replies: 6
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 11:53 AM

I have not yet linked my domain name. I am waiting until I am ready to release to the public. QUESTION: I have a lot of links I have built on my pages, linking to other pages on my site. Once I attach and activate my domain name, will I need to change all of the links I've built? Pleeeease, pleease tell me No.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 2:05 PM - Response #1

It depends on whether you've used absolute links, or relative links. An absolute link contains the entire link path (i.e. you've included the classcreator.com) portion of the link. A relative link means you've only linked to the page name itself. If you've used absolute links, you will need to manually change every one of them after registering a domain name if you want your members to always stay at your domain name and never see classcreator.com in their browser's address bar.

Let's take your "Getting Started" page for example:

An absolute link to that page would look like this: http://www.classcreator.com/Phillipsburg-Netherlands-Antilles-Pelican-Resort-2009/class_custom1.cfm

A relative link to that page would look like this: class_custom1.cfm

Both work equally well. For this reason it's usually best to use relative links. Relative links are shorter and you can change domain names, etc. without having to redo your links.

Edited 04/10/09 2:06 PM
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 2:08 PM - Response #2

Barbara,
From what I can see in your home page, you've done it the best way *(with relative links).
It might not have been clear, but either way the link will still work and not become a dead-end or anything once you have the domain name.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 2:39 PM - Response #3

All absolute links will still work after getting your domain name, they just won't keep your site at the domain name. I.E. your owners will see classcreator.com in your address bar.

Edited 04/10/09 2:40 PM
Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 12:30 PM - Response #4

OK. Thanks much. I changed some of them (I think!) but I'll wait and see. If I do need to change them later, I will. As long as they all work. I am still learning every day.

Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 2:53 PM - Response #5

Something else just popped up. Several of the links on my homepage go to password protected pages. If I click the pages from the left column without being logged in, I get the password protected message re login. However, if I click my links from the Home Page without being logged in, it allows me to open those same pages. I want them to be able to link later - after logged in - from the homepage but not if not logged in.

Is this just because I need to clear my cache? Once I did that, they were blocked OK. Just not sure why they work from one place and not from the other.

Edited 04/11/09 2:54 PM
Saturday, April 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM - Response #6

Hi Barbara,

It must be the caching issue. I went to the site as a non-logged in user in several browsers and I can get to the Getting started pages on the nav and/or home page link -- and I can not get to the Using the Site or FAQs from either location. Once logged in I can get to all of them. Looks like you have everything set up correctly.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.