ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Survey Maker (Different Uses)

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/16/13 10:20 AM Views: 1102 Replies: 18
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM

HELP....Our club is having it's annual election and several members are not going to be in town that week. Can anyone provide information, tips, experiences, etc on how to use the Survey Maker to cast absentee votes. I am sure it can be done I am just drawing blanks and need CC & admin input. Thanks in advance.

Edited 10/16/13 10:22 AM
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM - Response #1
Survey.jpg

A picture may be worth a thousand words. In the top portion of the attached photo is the question as it appears in the Survey Maker. The lower portion is how it appears in the survey as seen by classmates when participating. I would think this structure would work quite well for an election where there may be multiple candidates for each position.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM - Response #2

There are 18 candidates for 10 spots. Good visual. Too bad I can't put photos in the survey.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 12:56 PM - Response #3

You can include photos but only at the top of the survey not with individual questions.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 1:03 PM - Response #4

I just discovered that which is OK on the top as those can see who is running. But, when using questions with checkboxes the system asks for an answer. Am I missing something?

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM - Response #5

I would think an answer would be one of the candidates running for the position that is in the question.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 6:23 PM - Response #6

It seems to me that a survey is not able to do everything you need. If you create a question with 18 possible check boxes (and mark it as mandatory answer) at least one (or more) check box must be checked.
Same if you create 18 questions with a check box (or radio button or yes/no option). If you make each one as 'must be answered' then they have to be.

The problem I see is that you only want a total of 10 out of 18 check boxes marked, (or 10 Yes answers and 8 No answers). A survey isn't capable of enforcing that.

But by taking off the 'must be answered' option and reminding people that only 10 check boxes of the 18 available can be checked, you should get close to what you need - if they follow directions.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 6:46 PM - Response #7

If I understand Bob correctly he has 10 positions (questions) and 18 candidates (answers) for those 10 positions. It would seem to me the survey will give him exactly what he's looking for. It is not necessary to mark any answer as mandatory. One always should be able to not vote for a candidate for a position. Having said that if you add "none of the above" as an answer (candidate) for each question (position)you could make a response mandatory.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM - Response #8

Good Point, FC. Or maybe one question with 10 checkboxes, each with a fill-out option? They'd have to check the box and enter a name in each, but at least you'd have 10 choices. And if you only liked 9 of the candidates, that's all you'd have to fill in.
But that won't graphicly display the answers, and your suggestion or mine doesn't stop someone from entering the same name 10 times.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 11:01 PM - Response #9

John & F C,
Thank you for your input. I was able to build a Table for the top of the Survey and add photos & names under each. The survey was quite simple. I put the Candidates name in the Question Box and chose Yes or No and added "Choose Yes or No" in the Hint Box.
Moving forward, I had to try it out and only chose 8 to see the results. I think this will fit my needs and I have Instructions to only choose a maximum of 10 or their vote will be null & void. I can count their names to verify they did this.
Only problem now is my results are in the survey. **Is their a way to clear my results without tearing down and starting over???

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 at 11:39 PM - Response #10

Just go in to the active survey and uncheck everything you chose.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 12:53 AM - Response #11

Thanks F C,
I ended up doing it over (survey part) because I am using yes / no choices.

Is it possible someone could do this more than one time. As admin it appears I could do it twice.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 12:57 AM - Response #12

Everyone can go in and modify their answers. I don't think there is a limit as to how many times. My experience has been that, even though it's possible, few individuals change their initial responses.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM - Response #13

Thank You For all your help. This has been a GREAT Learn for me.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 12:26 PM - Response #14

Robert Cullen wrote:

John & F C,
Thank you for your input. I was able to build a Table for the top of the Survey and add photos & names under each. The survey was quite simple. I put the Candidates name in the Question Box and chose Yes or No and added "Choose Yes or No" in the Hint Box.
Moving forward, I had to try it out and only chose 8 to see the results. I think this will fit my needs and I have Instructions to only choose a maximum of 10 or their vote will be null & void. I can count their names to verify they did this.
Only problem now is my results are in the survey. **Is their a way to clear my results without tearing down and starting over???

Sorry to be jumping in late on this, but it seems to me the simplest way to do this would be to have one question (Please choose up to 10 from the following list of candidates... or something similar) with 18 checkboxes, one for each candidate. As you noted, you would need to include a caution that choosing more than 10 would invalidate the ballot. I think this would make the job of compiling the results much simpler.

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 1:09 PM - Response #15

I really appreciate all the help on this. I have the Survey/Ballot on the home page and if anyone cares to view how it came out they may go to the site and press the Link "BOD Absentee Ballot" on the left.
I am very pleased. Very HappyVery Happy

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 8:13 PM - Response #16

Thanks to FC, John and Dick for helping Bob with his question. I've said it at least a hundred times... teamwork works! Admins coming together prove that! Smile

Thursday, October 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM - Response #17

Thanks Gwen!!!
By the way, do you know why the list of choices in the survey are not uniformly listed? Example (left justified)

Friday, October 18, 2013 at 12:06 AM - Response #18

Gwen, That's called "Paying it Forward". Those of us who've received needed advice and help are more than glad to return the favor when we've 'been-there-done-that' and can chip in to help.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.