ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Practice site

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 02/19/09 11:38 AM Views: 1174 Replies: 7
Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Good morning!

I was wondering if you have thought about providing a "practice" site where administrators could try out their changes before applying them to their own site?

Thanks!

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 12:02 PM - Response #1

We have a preview feature on the task list, so you can test things before they go live, but for now you can always practice on a non live customizable links page. The procedure would work like this:

1) Click Edit Site Pages
2) Activate one of your Customizable Links pages
3) Save the page and immediately click up in your address bar and copy the location of the page. Or bookmark it.
4) Now go back into the page and deactivate it.
5) Practice all you want. Try various plugins, features, etc.
6) Save your page. It's saved but your Classmates cannot see it because you have it deactivated.
7) Paste the address into your browser's address bar, or use your bookmark, to preview your test page.

In this way you can try all kinds of things without anybody else being able to see what you're doing.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 12:33 PM - Response #2

That's great, thanks Brad!

Exactly how many pixels wide is the announcements area?

thanks again!

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 1:40 PM - Response #3

Keep objects in the Announcements area to 395 pixels wide or less.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 1:45 PM - Response #4

If you use an HTML editor like CoffeeCup http://www.coffeecup.com/free-editor/ it will let you see and use what you've designed on a live web page. It obviously doesn't have the ClassCreator background, but I've found it very useful for playing around with my editing before I plug it into my website.

Good Luck,
Steve

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 1:52 PM - Response #5

Thanks again, Brad and Steve, very helpful!

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM - Response #6

Great question and great information from Brad. I had been wondering too. Everytime I log onto my home page it puts another hit on my counter. I have over 500 hits but I would bet 200 of them are my own done while editing my home page. Is there any way to count only the first hit on the home page if someone is clicking on it while checking out other pages?

Tuesday, February 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM - Response #7

Hi Sheree,

Our stats include a 24 hour cookie meaning that the user is not counted a second, third, etc. time if they are returning during the same 24 hour period.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.