ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

determining new uploads to the website

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/20/10 07:32 AM Views: 1334 Replies: 5
Friday, August 20, 2010 at 7:32 AM

I've just prepared a mailing list of over 14,400 records from an Excel download of our database. I know there are about a half dozen people from different years working to put together their class lists. I hope to get them in a few weeks. Unfortunately, some of those classes are older and many don't have email addresses. Is there any way after a time to be able to easily segment out those records that are entered or updated by admins after today so that we can send them a mailing using their street address? Thanks

Edited 08/20/10 7:56 AM
Friday, August 20, 2010 at 4:39 PM - Response #1

After checking with the programmers, they said, "unfortunately, there's no "admin save date" anywhere. there's a last modification date for each member, but it's only updated when an admin clicks the "Show this change as a profile update in the Profile Updates box on the home page" checkbox, which it's unlikely you would have done if only updating their address. "

One thing you might consider is to EXPORT the class list (Manage Classmates, Download Classlist, Export), then sort by e-mail address. Those without e-mail addresses, include in your mailing because they would never get an e-mail.

I don't know if this solution works for you, but it is my best shot.

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 5:57 PM - Response #2

Thanks for checking. So a proposal for a future enhancement might go something like this: have a a couple of one-character fields that the admin could set (sorta like using a * in a name field for someone who's deceased); that field or fields would be downloaded on subseaquent downloads so that you could filter those out and send to all of the new ones. Although this would have great use for large, multi-class dbs, I can also see where this would be useful for even a smaller db. Anyway, please add it to your future enhancements list - if you need a clearer explanation, I could come up with it - just didn't want to make this any longer than it already is.

Friday, August 20, 2010 at 9:58 PM - Response #3

Thanks, probably something for the Advanced Options later that will be created sometime after the system overhaul currently in progress. It would be better if this was automated so Admins didn't have to do anything other than run the report. Any thoughts there?

Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 6:29 PM - Response #4

Not sure how to automate a process like this. Basically there needs to be a feedback loop created. I download the entire database, I grab whom I want to send regular mail to (essentially eliminating those who are registered, then those who have no addresses, then in our case those who are in a foreign country other than Canada). If this revised list could be re-uploaded and cause a "mark" to be registered by each of these, then in the next download, this mark could be sorted for and those records eliminated from the next mailing. So, this approach would require an extra column, a way of uploading the file to identify those who were sent a notice; also a way to reset that character. If this is the approach you might want to set up a couple of these "custom" characters for use with perhaps multiple mailings or some other thing neither of us has thought of at this point.

Doing it this way probably is better than relying on sorting by a date and hoping this are updated in some way. Anyway, that's my idea. Thanks for asking.

Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 8:02 PM - Response #5

Ok thank you. I've logged this for things to discuss after the conclusion of the system upgrade currently underway.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.