ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Using storage on linked site

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/30/11 03:54 AM Views: 2038 Replies: 18
Friday, December 30, 2011 at 3:54 AM

I have a domain that used to house the content for our class site. I found CC and am migrating over. I see how to link the site domain I own to CC so our name will be the same as the old one - but the content and flexibility of CC. However I have at least 1GB of space I pay for on my old site and want to use it as the limit for CC is 200MB. How is this done. I have downloaded all the content to my HD, as I thought I saw that once the sites are linked I can't use the old site for files - where do I find information on this topic. I've not been able to create the correct search terms to find it. Existing site is hhs63.com and when linked to CC, it will remain hhs63.com but will i lose all access to my storage on hhs63.com

Friday, December 30, 2011 at 10:19 AM - Response #1

Hi Dick,

There are a few possible options here.

1. Keep the old site, but find out another way than http://hhs63.com/myfile to link to myfile (it might be http://www.wildwestdomains.com/users/[your account here]/myfile)
2. Classcreator offers additional storage blocks of 50MB at $3/month per block.
3. If you subscribe to ClassCreator at the Platinum level, your subscription includes 1GB of storage instead of 200MB. (5 times more!)
4. Use a third-party content hosting site for your images (imgur, imageshack, picasa, etc), videos (youtube, vimeo, etc.) and other documents (scribd, etc.).

Friday, December 30, 2011 at 12:47 PM - Response #2

What Eric is talking about is to buy another domain name for your OLD site. For example: hhs63old.com

www.hhs63old.com would then point to your existing site. The existing hhs63.com name would point to classcreator (after all the changes).

Then all you do is link to files on your EXISTING old site. For example: http://www.hhs63old.com/some.jpg (where some.jpg is an image or some other file you have - add directory as requred).

That should be the cheapest solution. You can buy domain names at namecheap.com for $10

There's also another way to do this without any name changes - make index.htm on your existing site forward to the classcreator site using the "meta" forwarding "url" method.

The name in the browser tab changes to CC, but you have complete access to all your old info. You can test this now without any other changes.

Here's LINK to meta

Edited 12/30/11 2:57 PM
Friday, December 30, 2011 at 2:41 PM - Response #3

Wow - I'm getting a little confused here. I read about using classnames.net to get an appropriate more personalized domain for your CC domain. Now I don't need to do that, because prior to learning about CC, I had one HHS63.com And I see the instructions using the registrar key to transfer to classnames.net if I want to move the registration. I am Ok with whoever presently hosts my HHS63.com, but I want to do two things (OK more than 2): 1. Have our class use HHS63.com as they did 2. Have the CC site appear instead of our old site 3. take advantage of the 10GB (not the 1 GB I said before) that I already own and pay for on HHS63.com.
Anticipating that there may be some difficulty, I have downloaded all the photos and other content from the public_html and other folders I can see in my control panel. I still have the 10GB to use, but am now confused as to - as said A. how to link the two sites to accomplish 1 & 2 above and B. use some of the storage I presently pay for on HHS63.com - I am sure this is already answered elsewhere and somewhat above, but didn't understand the /myfiles reference and don't want to pay for a third domain. If answered please just point me there or copy/paste below - thanks for your tolerance. Should I simply use an alias on HHS63.com to the CC site - this is a discussion i found about that: http://support.olympus.net/services/hosting-services/website-aliases-redirects-and-seo

Edited 12/30/11 3:39 PM
Friday, December 30, 2011 at 3:02 PM - Response #4

Two things: One, I removed the example code that Jack put into the response because it was being treated as literal code by our task tracker and I had to edit it out in order to actually be able to respond to the thread.

Two, I was not suggesting that you buy another domain name. In my experience, when you have web hosting, you have the option of accessing your content through a url that uses the doamin name of the hosting service in addition to using your own custom domain name. This means that you could repurpose the domain name for your Classcreator site and still access the content on your existing site without having to either register a new domain or resort to coding tricks like Jack is suggesting.

Friday, December 30, 2011 at 3:33 PM - Response #5

Eric - I realize the value of doing all by email and the forum, and I appreciate this, but I'm just not understanding. if linking my domain to appear to be the CC site has been addressed (w/o classnames.net) please provide link to that FAQ area. If using that registration key and EPP doesn't work or it is far too complex, I can move my hosting to classnames.net - although I have paid for 3 years. Might it be easier to chat via phone or skype "dickrubinstein" and summarize here for others. And either way can I use my 10GB somehow for storage of photos videos etc. Should I simply use an alias on my HHS63.com site to CC site - if so then embed URL on CC site to point to HHS63.com (or youtube or flicker etc) for my videos photos etc - but then I'm off the site for users to move around

Edited 12/30/11 3:43 PM
Friday, December 30, 2011 at 6:15 PM - Response #6

Eric - saying thanks is simply not enough. I truly appreciate all the help you've been. A great deal has been "behind the scenes" but you're terrific - please tell your bosses I said so - unless, of course you're the boss - then pat yourself on the back !!

Friday, August 23, 2013 at 4:45 PM - Response #7

I'm back to being confused about outside linked storage - and almost two years since i was asking originally. I know that my other website can be reached as storage.hhs63.com from what I remember, but now I'm trying to add a 1 GB video that I can store there easily enough, but want it to show up on HHS63.com under one of the links or galleries. I thought I would see storage location when looking further into the edit site pages, but i don't. Please advise how or where i link storage on storage.hhs63.com to the places CC has on hhs63.com e.g. galleries or other spots

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 9:05 AM - Response #8

If you upload your video to your HHS63.com website, then insert a link to it on your HHS63.com website, you should be able to copy that link to your other website and it will work. If it doesn't work immediately, you might need to change the link from a relative link (no domain name listed) to a link that includes the domain name. For example, if the link URL looks like "/000/2/2/9/17922/userfiles/file/*.jpg", it doesn't have a domain name at the first part of the URL. If you add "http://www.classcreator.com" or "http://www.HHS63.com" before the URL, so it looks like "http://www.HHS63.com/000/2/2/9/17922/userfiles/file/*.jpg" then it should work on your other website, too.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 11:36 AM - Response #9

Gosh, Dick... it is really windy on your site! The flag looks as if your site is in the Windy City and I know that is not right!

Just havin' fun! Cool

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 12:13 PM - Response #10

Yes, we have it linked up to weather channel's site, near the fires in Northern CA.... no as a friend says 'just havin funWink

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 12:18 PM - Response #11

OK Kyle...I understand what you are saying, but what I'm looking to do (which is not in your benefit, but is in mine) is to store that video or a bunch of larger pictures on my own site that is linked to the CC site, and only have the link on the CC site, so that as I'm already paying for 10GB of storage on the "original" HHS63.com I can use it for the CC's version of HHS63.com. Your comments indicated that it might be just the reverse. As I am using the CC site, I only have access to the other site storage.hhs63.com for Control Panel stuff and to store stuff there and Can't actually get to it (Or if I can I don't know how and don't want to anyway). So does your answer still apply? so that if i upload it to HHS63.com and provide whichever linkage works, that I am NOT paying for the 1GB storage on the CC site, but rather using 1 GB on my own, original site? In a similar way, that I'd send someone a link to video instead of attaching the video to the email. The recipient still sees it, but as the sender, I'm not clogging up the bandwidth or my own storage, by sending a huge file

Edited 08/27/13 12:20 PM
Tuesday, August 27, 2013 at 4:11 PM - Response #12

If you can access the image/mp3, etc by putting the URL in the address window of a browser, you can link to it. So if there is some "storage.hhs63.com/myPhoto.jpg" and you can paste that into the browser Address/URL window and it shows the jpg (or PDF, or MP3, etc.) you can link to it. Just go to the editor on the website where you want the link and click the LINK icon (3rd from the right, 2nd row of buttons) and then paste the URL you already tested in the browser URL window.

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM - Response #13
cpanel example.jpg

OK - I have uploaded a test file IMG_1063.mov and it is in the public_html folder - and tried the link of:
http://storage.hhs63.com/public_html/IMG_1063.mov
have also tried storage.hhs63.com/IMG_1063.mov - neither worked. I get "not Found" and also: The requested URL /public_html/IMG_1063.mov was not found on this server.

On my Cpanel I have http://storage.hhs63.com:2082/cpsess3363572939/frontend/x3/index.html after I log in

Attached my cpanel view of the file or folder - but I can't click and get the specific file to show up on the address bar and don't know how to reference it in a URL - Everything I want to view is in the public_html folder - but I can put them anywhere...Advise on how to formulate this URL???

Edited 08/30/13 5:27 PM
Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 2:19 PM - Response #14

I think I solved it - the URL is not intuitive to be sure, and found it IS case sensitive. So I have a photo for testing on the storage.hhs63.com - and I used: http://storage.hhs63.com:2082/cpsess5098361520/frontend/x3/files/showfile.html?dir=%2fhome%2frlr95%2fpublic_html&file=HHS63-40-35.JPG as my link in the CC site and it showed up...so I'm guessing that all files in that public_html folder must have the URL entirely - all that precedes the =HHS63-40-35.JPG for all URL's - - Correct? Butnot all worked; I tried uploading a video and two more photos - you can see them all and the URLs at the bottom of http://www.hhs63.com/class_custom2.cfm listed as testing - the video doesn't work...any thoughts?

Edited 08/31/13 2:35 PM
Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 4:19 PM - Response #15

Log out of your Cpanel and see what happensIdea

Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 5:40 PM - Response #16

Interesting thought...Not sure why...but I tried that, and what happened was when i was strictly in my CC website and went to the links, i couldn't even get to the photos...I got an Http Error 401 and listed a bunch of stuff and required me to log in to my cpanel with my PW - the ID was already filled in - see text below:
nvalid security token

The requested URL does not contain your session’s correct security token.

You may have reached this error by copying and pasting a URL from a different cPanel, WHM, or Webmail session into your browser’s address bar. To resolve this situation, please take one of the following steps:

Go back one page and reload the URL, making sure that the /cpsess.../ section of the URL remains the same.
Re-enter your account’s password below. This will assign your session a new security token. This new token will prevent you from using other pages of this application that may be open in other tabs.
Request information

Requested page: frontend/x3/files/showfile.html

Parameter name   Parameter value
dir   /home/rlr95/public_html
file   WHHS0003.pdf
Username: rlr95

Password:

Saturday, August 31, 2013 at 5:52 PM - Response #17

Cpanel access via port 2082 is just a login to manage your site - you could also use filezilla for the same purpose.

You'd have to find the IP of the server (from your host) and then your username and all that (or see next para). But, as I said in the start, it's much much simpler to spend $10 get another domain name and you are done.

The others comments assumed you are/can be hosted like CC classes without dedicated domain names. You can do that too if your host provides such a thing?

Edited 08/31/13 5:53 PM
Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 9:48 AM - Response #18

I don't quite understand all this, Jack. Here's what we have. CC usually recommends that folks get a website of their own choosing for their HS site, and then link that to the CC site - you know all this. In our case, we already had a site that we had previously used and before knowing about CC, i cobbled together a website 10 years ago, that sorta worked. Then comes a few years ago and we get CC, and the old website name is the perfect one and we use it to link to the CC site. The old site is renamed storage.hhs63.com It has 10GB of space I'm paying for and want to use it for photos, videos etc - and I'm trying to link the stuff that is there to the CC site... Dick - and don't know filezilla

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.