ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

System Password

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/10/15 12:13 PM Views: 1077 Replies: 10
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Is there a way in Statistics or somewhere else to see when someone logs in with your System Password?

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 1:57 PM - Response #1

I do not believe so. But admins, please correct me if I am wrong.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 3:30 PM - Response #2

Nope. That's been a concern since we have no way of knowing or tracking who (or if) it's being used. And unfortunately, we still have no way to limit what a guest can see and do other than using the system password.

There were some great discussions and suggestions about adding some options to guest member accounts to allow or limit what they can do or see, but those never went any farther than the discussion as far as I know.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 5:28 PM - Response #3

Yikes, I would never give out my system password.
Is there a way for someone to find that out??
I opened up an email account for the classmate profile name of SHS Guest, and give that out to a person I've approved who wants to see our website. And I change the password for each new individual's visit.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 5:32 PM - Response #4

I think it would be a nice feature for admins to see how often the system password was used.
[Maybe this could be put on the marker board for future consideration?]
{what do you think, fellow admin's?}
But when the system password is used, site members profiles cannot be accessed, can they? [that was always my impression]
I try to remember to change our system password periodically as well.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 5:37 PM - Response #5

Speaking for our website...I never understood the option (or rationale) of offering the system password to anyone. That's always a "never" for our class. Maybe it has some merit but it escapes me.

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 6:10 PM - Response #6

Here is a little rationale for using a system password. I have helped develop several Class Creators in our school system. Each time I do, I become a guest member. I don't really need to be seen. One class gave me their system password so I could work with their list of missing classmates and In Memory people. I do research for our local museum and I am pretty good at finding people. But I don't belong on your website. Smile

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 8:21 PM - Response #7

Never considered that but it's got some validity.

Maybe we could use you to find our MIA's. Wink or...would you share your detective methods?

Tuesday, February 10, 2015 at 10:27 PM - Response #8

milan52@yahoo.com

Wednesday, February 11, 2015 at 8:51 PM - Response #9

John Ludovico wrote:

Speaking for our website...I never understood the option (or rationale) of offering the system password to anyone. That's always a "never" for our class. Maybe it has some merit but it escapes me.

Several examples of how we used the system password to allow people access to our site - and locked pages - but not profiles and personal information: The school Alumni Association who likes to keep track of new members and In Memory moves, and other admins who we are happy to share locked pages with. And of course, system password access is 'view only' and does not allow any posts or page updating.

Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 8:39 AM - Response #10

Thanks for the info, John.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.