ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Quick instructions on new threaded forum

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/09/09 04:02 PM Views: 3297 Replies: 17
Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM

You guys wouldn't happen to have some quick instructions on the new threaded froum, that I could copy to my site for my fellow classmates.

Thanks for your help, again!

Yvette
PHS Class of "87"

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 4:52 PM - Response #1

Yvette,

Here is a copy/paste of my instructions, minus my illustrations and descriptions of my specific forum categories. You are welcome to use it. Here's my paypal acct info...just kidding, LOL. Very Happy

The Forum is a 3 tiered system consisting of:

1) Categories pre-set by the site administrator. Suggestions and/or requests for new categories are welcome (email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx).

2) Topics. There can be an infinite number of topics under each category. To start a new topic: choose a category, then click on "New Topic". Enter a title for your topic, type your message and click "Save". (Just FYI: A "sticky" topic is one that is tacked to the top of the page.)

3) Messages. To add to a topic already started, click on "Reply". Type your message and click "Save" Once saved, you can edit or delete your own message.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When first coming into the Forum, click on a Category title to see all the Topics under it. Click on a Topic to see all the messages posted there.

*Note: The first time you want to post on the Forum, you will be asked to set up a forum profile. This only consists of 3 short items, all optional. 1) a signature, if you desire one; 2) your location; and 3) setting your time zone. You will be able to edit your settings later in "My Settings", at the top of the Forum page.
"My Signature" (optional) is anything you may want to appear at the bottom of each of your messages. For instance, your name, a short proverb or witty saying, etc.

You can Subscribe to receive new forum posts by email. Look for this feature at the bottom of your "My Settings" page, on every message you post, and at the bottom of every Forum page. (You can later Unsubscribe from your "My Settings" page.)

Master Photo

If you would like to have a photo of yourself appear to the left of your messages (and later on your threaded emails), click on "Forum Photo" at the top of the Forum page (or on "Edit/Upload Photos" on the left navigation panel).

If the picture that you want to use is already uploaded to your profile page, just click "Make This My Master Photo". If your photo is not already there, you will need to upload it (see "Upload Photos to Profile" under the "Using Our Site" category).

If you want to use your senior grad picture, but you don't have one to upload, email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and it will be uploaded for you. (Later this year, members will be able to check a box to use their designated profile picture as their Master Photo, but an estimated time of arrival for that feature is unknown.)

How to put photos in your messages

Posting pictures in the Forum is easy! See the attached pix at the top of the page for illustration of the following steps:

1) Click on the Image icon (the little yellow square in the editor, at the top left, to the right of the word 'source').

2) In the Image Button popup, click "Browse".

3) Find your picture in your files and click (or double-click) on the picture.

4) Click on "Upload Now"

5) Click "OK" when it tells you it's uploaded. You can now see your image in the preview box.

6) Click on "OK" at the bottom of the Image Button box, and your picture will appear in your message box.

7) Complete your message (any text you want to add), then click on "Save". You can also preview your message if you desire, before clicking Save.

Using the text editor:

Experiment, if you want, with the editing tools. Changing the size and color of your font is fairly easy. Use the Preview button to see how your message looks before saving it. After saving your post, you will still be able to edit or delete it.

You can also attach files to your message.

Click on "Browse" at the bottom of the message box.

Locate and click on the file you want to attach.

After you save your message, your file will appear as a link at the top of the message (see attached pic of attached file at the top of this message).

(Note: Do not click on Preview after attaching your file because your attachment will be lost and you will have to attach it again.)

Edited 04/09/09 5:01 PM
Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 5:19 PM - Response #2

This is really great! Thank you! Where did you put this information? Did you put it as an announcement that only people signed in could see?Very Happy

Yvette

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM - Response #3

Yvette,

I put it in the forum, topic: USING THUNDERBIRD FORUM, category: USING OUR SITE.

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM - Response #4

Thank you again!

O.K. so I have another question...Embarassed

I have asked this befor and someone gave me instructions on how to do it, but I didn't understand. I am not a computer programer or anything, I am self taught, so I sometimes don't understand somethings but I am a fast learner. I need child like instructions on this one.

You know your background with your school logo....how did you do that. I have seen several sites with that and I think it makes your site look nice. Would you be willing to help me. Remember...baby like instructions.Very Happy

Yvette

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 7:30 PM - Response #5

Yvette,

First, I modified my school logo by giving it a colored background (in my Windows Paint program). Then I uploaded the logo to an image host (I used photobucket.com).

Here is the code for the background:

Put the url for your own image between the parenthesis, where it says "Your image url goes here".

Paste the code into an announcement, save, and activate.

Hope it works for you!

Edited 04/09/09 7:33 PM
Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 10:10 PM - Response #6

First of all I want to tell you how much I appreciate your time and your instructions were easy to follow and I did them, this is what my code looks like after getting my url code off of photobucket:

I coppied into an announcement and it did nothing. When I am in my announcement I am suppose to push the source key first right. It's weird...I activated it after adding the code and it doesn't post any where on the site. Maybe I am just hopeless. Very Happy

Yvette

Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 10:46 PM - Response #7

Yvette,

Photobucket snuck in a whole bunch of extra code on you. Try this:

Click on source, paste the code, close source (you should see your pirates), Save the page and then hopefully you will have your background.

Edited 04/09/09 10:49 PM
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 12:35 AM - Response #8

You are so awesome, if you were here I would kiss ya! Very Happy

Thank you!
Yvette

Edited 04/10/09 2:42 PM
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 1:46 AM - Response #9

I'm going to kiss you both. Great help, dead on.

Edited 04/10/09 1:47 AM
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 2:45 PM - Response #10

No kidding...my site looks awesome, thanks again Marian! Very Happy

Yvette

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM - Response #11

Many thanks to all. This was a major assistance.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM - Response #12

Hello Marian,
Thanks for sharing this. I was just starting to write down instructions when I read yours. It's perfect.

Thursday, April 16, 2009 at 8:16 PM - Response #13

Marian, Thanks for this great tip. I had been wondering how I could do something like that. It works great. Take a look.
Thanks and good luck with your site.

Sunday, October 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM - Response #14

Thank you so much for this instruction. You are an angel and a blessing.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 1:39 PM - Response #15

Is this old thread referring to 'User Forums'?
If so, where do you put the instructions?

Thanks,
Tom

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:29 PM - Response #16

04/09/09 5:32 PM
Marian

Yvette,

I put it in the forum, topic: USING THUNDERBIRD FORUM, category: USING OUR SITE.

YES, it is referring to USER FORUMS.

She created a new forum for it called "USING OUR SITE" and put it in a new topic under that forum called "Using the Forums"

Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 5:44 PM - Response #17

Thanks I figured it out

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.