ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Limited access to a survey

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/24/11 02:23 AM Views: 1108 Replies: 6
Sunday, July 24, 2011 at 2:23 AM

I have set up a tentative page for review by our committee members and I activated it, copied the web address, and then de-activated it. I can then send out an email with that link in it and they can open the page. This worked with a test message sent to myself.

I tried to the same thing with a survey that I wanted them to respond to regarding this tentative page -- activated, copied the address, de-activated it and put it in a link but when I click on the link in the email it asks me to log in on an internet page but then it won't go to the survey -- the page stays blank.

Am I trying to do something that just plain won't work or is there some other way to do it?

Thanks,
Jim

Sunday, July 24, 2011 at 2:56 AM - Response #1

Correct, Surveys "disappear" when they are deactivated. Hence they are a poor method to create extra pages. Use a new Gallery instead. Don't put any photos or content in the first section and then create another gallery within that one (again no photos) and create your content there. It's something that CC should have better instructions for since I found this out by experimenting.Idea (It's pretty easy once you get the first one done.)

As before, you activate the gallery to get the URL, deactivate and it all stays around. Caution: There is NO backup ATM (CC forgot to do this) but will be added in the next release (3.0)

The other method that works to test out ideas is to use one of your "custom" pages and never use it for "live" content. Since most of our pages are gallery pages, we have 3 pages I can use for testing. Plus a test gallery page. So all the admins that create content have a place to play around as much as they like and only when it's done, we transfer it to a "live" page.

Sunday, July 24, 2011 at 12:24 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Jack! This is the best explanation and set of instructions on how CC works, doesn't work, ways to take advantage of and to work around its nature that I've seen. I look forward to your on-going analyses after CC 3.0 is implemented.

Edited 07/24/11 12:24 PM
Monday, July 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM - Response #3

Thanks, Jack. But I guess I will have to forget the survey part -- question, responses, results, etc. if I use a Gallery created page?

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 12:13 PM - Response #4

For a real survey, yes. Maybe this behavior will change in the future with 3.0?

I wonder what would happen if you copied and pasted the code of a survey page into a test page (just the section with the survey source). This could give your admins a chance to see what you are thinking about. For a preview, that might work out ok.

Or maybe you could copy the whole page, create an independent html file that you upload to your file vault and then reference that. That is easier since you don't have to parse the source. Make sense?

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 4:14 PM - Response #5

I finally decided that I would make an "executive" decision and do what I think is best without the committee input and just post the page Smile

Monday, July 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM - Response #6

Jim Persing wrote:

I would make an "executive" decision

LOL - Most things I just do and then ask them if they have any more inputVery Happy Goes a lot faster. Plus they help me fix errata or motivates them to help with (sometimes) missing information.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.