ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Duplicate Emails

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/09/09 11:42 AM Views: 1540 Replies: 12
Thursday, April 9, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Happy Easter Everyone.

Since launching 9 dyas ago, I as the root administrator get every email in duplicate. At first I thought I was unique and shrugged it off. But today I was notified by an alumni that he too is getting doubles. Where should I start looking for the reason?

Site Background Information:
I'm a multi year and multi school site. That is to say a high school and college site, where alumni who went to both may have 2 names and 2 profiles. I am one of those with 2 profiles, but I used 2 different names with the same email address. Only one of my names has administrator rights.

The alumni in question receiving doubles, I beleive is single, that is to say he is not sharing his computer with a spouse, who may also be a graduate and are using the same email address.

Question #2. For Brad. Will you look at my "Root Administrator" preferences please. How do I delete the 2 entries for R.S.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 2:09 AM - Response #1

Ok, let's start with just you, and just one instance of a double email. If we can figure out one, I suspect it will figure out all of them. Are you possibly doing something that would trigger an email to you as a Classmate, and also a copy of the email to you as the Administrator. For instance, let's say you go in and register for your own reunion. One email is going to come to you because you're a regular Classmate too, not just the Admin. You're registering just like anybody else so you're getting your Classmate confirmation email. But you're also the Admin, so the system is sending you your Admin copy too. There are several other similar scenarios where it's completley normal for an Admin to get both the Clasmate copy of the email, and the Admin copy of the email.

Regarding Question #2, I have no idea what R.S. means. Even after looking at your Preferences page I still have no idea what R.S. means, so you've got me stumped.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 6:45 AM - Response #2

I too get 2 emails but always figured it was because I use an email address forward from my domain ie sheree@crhs1975.com and also get one directly to my main email address. Could this be the reason?

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 8:57 AM - Response #3

I also get two emails, but I think I only have one eamil address listed. This just started happening in the last month or so.

Diana

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 11:40 AM - Response #4

First I need to make a correction to my initial post. When I went back to check my second name, it it is a different name, different year, different email and different password. A totally different person.

The duplicates I get have subject lines like

New Classmate Notification
New Classmate Notification

Name Change
Name Change

In Memory
In Memory

You have a New Message at St. Mary of the Plains
You have a New Message at St. Mary of the Plains

All the emails arrive in the "box" with the picture of the school logo and School name. In short, any email I get that is sent through the site I receive twice.

Other then that I'm just an adnistrator/classmate.

The only other instance reported is by one out of 150 almni who have logged on so far. He reports he received duplicate emails for, filling out his profile and later, for adding a profile photo. I offered to delete his name from the list and have him start from scratch, and he agreed, but I have not done that yet in case you want to look at his profile. I can send you (Brad) the email he sent me if that would help.

Footnote: When I built this site, at one time I gave both my names "administrative" rights, by checking the little box in my profile edit. But when I started receiving duplicates, I took "admin" rights away from my second name. But that didn't stop the duplicates from coming.

Addressing my second question from above Brad.

I got the idea for building this site from Rick, He is the other name listed in the "Root Administrator" box on the "Preferences" page. He has admin rights, granted when I was just getting started and had questions, does his name show up there becasue he has these rights?

I was wondering if: for some reason, in that giant database of emails stored on the classcreator servers, my email is listed twice? Just a thought.

Larry

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 2:57 PM - Response #5

Yes all Admins are listed in Preferences in case you want to make any non admin the root admin.

All of you in this post, please forward BOTH of your duplicate emails to emailsupport@classcreator.com and Jessica will investigate and explain why you are receiving duplicates. Sometimes it's as simple as somebody as an email address listed in both the primary and alternate email address fields. Email copies are sent to all addresses listed.

In other cases you could be recieving both a Classmate copy of an email and an admin copy. E.G. like cases where you register for your own reunion, and get your Classmate receipt and your Admin receipt. There are other cases where both an Admin and a Classmate email are also sent.

Finally, it could be that something changed recently that really is sending two copies of the same email, and if that's the case Jessica will identify and solve the issue for you. Due to responses in this post I'm thinking that in at least some cases two emails are being issued when only 1 should be, so if you'll get both of your email examples over to emailsupport@classcreator.com, we'll look into this and resolve any issues found that would be causing this.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM - Response #6

Brad, if it's any help. The email I get from you when you reply to my question on this forum, only comes in once.

Subject Line: Subscription Notification. Duplicate Emails

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM - Response #7

I really believe I was getting 2 emails because I had a main email and an alternate. I just deleted the alternate email and will keep an eye out to see if I get 2 emails when I am contacted through the website.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 6:33 PM - Response #8

I was playing detective and this seems odd to me.

I got the idea to build my multi year site for St. Mary's from another classmate who has a single year site (St. Mary of the Plains Class of 1969). In the very early stages when I was learning the ropes, I joined his site and he made me a "guest" administrator, so I could see what goes on "behind the scenes" and how classcreator works. I'm stll a "guest" administrator on his site.

Out of curiosity, When I get duplicate emails on my site, at the bottom of the email, I "clicked on" "To unsubscribe from email notifications click here" I did.

The message I got was "You are about to remove this email address from the St Mary Of The Plains High School Class Of 1969 mailing list: rellon@rurallink.net.

I clicked on both of the duplicate emails that I have been receiving from the very beggining,to unsubscribe, and they both had the same message.
i.e. from the class of 1969 mailing list.

I would have thought (hoped) one of the messages would have referred to (been coming from) my own school site, which is totally different, i.e. multi year 1953-1993.

Sould I remove my name and guest admin. priviledges from the class of 1969 site and see what happens?

Hope this helps.

I'm Still wondering why none of the messages show my site as "The Originator", when they show up in a "Box" with my school logo and multi years 53 to 93." But I guess the email searches for my email address, finds it on the class of 1969 site, sends me the email, then end of story. But why twice, why not get one email from each site?????

This might be a potential problem for those sites that build several single year sites under a single banner, and classmates want to join more then one year. Say their class, plus the ones in front and back of them. They may get 3 emails,or triplicates
if they use the same log on email address.

Edited 04/10/09 6:48 PM
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 6:49 PM - Response #9

Yes give it a try.

I first thought maybe there was an actual issue here, but the more I thought about this, I realized we'd be getting complaints in droves if people were getting double emails when they shouldn't be. Thus I'm back to thinking this and any other reports above are being caused by something specific.

In any case, the only real was to investigate is to actually posess the duplicate emails, look at the header info behind the scenes in those emails, etc. Jess will figure it out. If you haven't already done so, please forward any dual emails to emailsupport@classcreator.com and we'll get to the bottom of this.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 6:55 PM - Response #10

Brad, I sent Jessica about 7 examples early this afternoon.

This might solve my problem, and I hope it solves the other alumni's problem as well. Thanks

I'll delete my info from the other site and see what happens and let you know if the duplicates stop.

Friday, April 10, 2009 at 8:59 PM - Response #11

Problem Solved!

ClassCreator lesson #105467.

If you have administrative rights on two totally seperate classcreator sites, and use the same email to log on both sites, you can probably expect to receive duplicate emails.

I am the Root Admin. on my site, and was granted admin. rights on another site. I received everything in duplicate. After having admin. rights removed from the "other" site,(but keeping my profile) I only receive one email from classcreator. Walla!

I did not experiment with using two different emails for the two different sites. Doing that might get you by the duplicate email business.

I still have to resolve why one of my alumni got duplicate emails from Classcreator. Hopefully it was just a fluke!

Thanks Brad for your time and effort. You can have Jessica move on to more important issues.

Edited 04/10/09 9:05 PM
Friday, April 10, 2009 at 10:29 PM - Response #12

Ok. Smile Have the alum forward and duplicate emails though. It won't take Jessica too long to figure out what's happening.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.