ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

unwanted email contact

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 04/30/11 01:49 PM Views: 1553 Replies: 13
Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 1:49 PM

Hi Kyle,

I received this message--not a registered classmate but our school logo appears (didn't copy here) in the message box right after the address information. Did it come from the "Contact Us" button on the home page? How can you tell the source? Could an outsider send a message to registered classmates without being an admin? These intrusions (this is the 4th one in less than a month) are annoying, but can be ignored as long as we are confident that we've secured the site to non-registrants. Just want to make sure.

Thanks,
Donna

Subject:    Reunion
   Date:    April 29, 2011 11:50:08 PM CDT
   To:    Donna Ewoldt
   Reply-To:    ClassCreator Admin Forums

Email:    thebookman43@yahoo.com

I am alive and well though out of the country. Anyone wishing to contact me may do so by using my email address which is thebookman43@yahoo.com. I do miss you all so very much.

Sender's IP Address: 203.177.237.175

View the geographic location of this IP Address

Click here to report this as spam

This message has been sent to you from thebookman43@yahoo.com. You can not reply directly. Click here if you wish to start a new email to thebookman43@yahoo.com.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 2:20 PM - Response #1

yes, it came from the CONTACT US form. I checked and that e-mail address isn't in the system. You cannot verify the source (and neither can we).

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 4:49 PM - Response #2

When you SEE THIS inside the email, it's coming from your Contact Us page. Other emails from the site don't have those features. Anyone on the Internet can access your "Contact Us" page.

You CAN set the "Contact Us" page to be viewable to only registered members, but then people who are missing or off the list, etc. won't be able to contact you.

These outsiders have no access to profiles UNLESS the member has failed to check the privacy box. I saw at least one such member on your list. That allows non-registered visitors to send these people a private message (email) through your CC site, Donna.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 9:12 PM - Response #3

Do we have the capability of producing a report of classmates who have not checked the privacy box?

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 9:18 PM - Response #4

The only "Report" is to log out of your website, then click the Classmate Profiles link, then filter on classmates who have profile information. All of the classmates with a PADLOCK Icon have protected their information. The ones without a padlock have not protected their information.

Brad has mentioned it here in these forums, but there is a switch we can turn on to force all of the profiles to be private - even the classmate cannot unlock them. We like to call it "SUPER-DUPER PRIVACY" mode.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 9:31 PM - Response #5

DONNA EWOLDT wrote:

How can you tell the source?

Donna, you can click on the link "View the geographic location of this IP Address" that traces the sender's IP address to get an idea of where he's located. He's definitely out of the country in the Philippines.

View the geographic location of this IP Address by clicking here.

It's hard to say who the person is at the other end of the email, but you'll get some idea of where it came from.

Edited 04/30/11 9:34 PM
Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 9:44 PM - Response #6

By "We", do you mean CC staff or "We" the site admins?

If CC staff, how do we request the super-duper privacy mode switch be thrown for our site(s).

Privacy is a real hot button issue for me on both my sites.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 9:55 PM - Response #7

The IP Address is from the Philippines.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 10:34 PM - Response #8

We have the Super-Duper Privacy in place and it's been great! I no longer have to warn classmates to click the box and we haven't had any unwanted intruders. Very Happy

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 10:40 PM - Response #9

Woody -- email CC through the "Contact Us" box at the top of this page and ask them to 'throw the privacy switch'.

As Ann indicates, you can breathe easier with that switch thrown. Very HappyVery HappyVery Happy

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 11:30 PM - Response #10

I too have received several similar emails in the last 4 weeks. At this point I have just deleted the emails

Classmate Jimmy Z

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 11:42 PM - Response #11

I made a habit quite some time ago, whenever a classmate newly joins the website, the first thing I do is check that Privacy question. If they did not check it, I check it for them, and let them know why. I have never had an issue with doing that, nor have we received any unwanted emails as mentioned.

I hadn't heard before of the Super-Duper privacy switch, but I did at one time ask that question default as checked. I have not seen any recently "unchecked" for quite some time.

So! CC do I have Super-Duper privacy already? If not, click it on to me please. both my sites:

www.AnadarkoHS60.com
www.AnadarkoHS1961.com

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 11:44 PM - Response #12

If you are suspicious of the sender, click on the "Report Spam" link. This alerts Brad and CC.

CC has automatic monitoring in place that watches for repeats of the same messages hitting multiple CC sites in a short period of time.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 at 11:53 PM - Response #13

Wow, good suggestion Kyle. On my 1960 website, I logged out and went to the site, clicking those with Profile. I DID STILL HAVE one that did NOT have the padlock. Obviously, I missed one some time ago. It is checked and secured now!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.