Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

# (of) Members Online box

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/04/13 06:14 PM Views: 1454 Replies: 23
Monday, February 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Now you see it.
Now you don't.

That has been my experience with the # (of) Members Online box moving from the top of the window to the bottom. It had a move to top/move to bottom option, too!

I like it! I miss seeing it! (Dare I ask...) Where is it?Question

Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7:38 PM - Response #1

Do you mean the Who is online box on the right hand side of your site or the Instant Messaging box?

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Monday, February 4, 2013 at 7:50 PM - Response #2

I guess that would be the Instant Messaging box. It is the one that is in the bottom right corner and at times top right.

Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM - Response #3

The IM panel is the one that is *always* and only at the bottom right of your screen and tells you how many members are logged in.
The "Who's Online Now" box is in the right modules of the Home Page and has arrows to move it up or down in relative position on the page, and tells you the names of logged in members.

Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 12:40 PM - Response #4

I see it right there. Are you not seeing it consistently still?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM - Response #5

Brad Switzer wrote:

I see it right there. Are you not seeing it consistently still?

It is there on TAP's site and I see Marla and myself. However on my alumni site, the box is there but my name does not appear nor does the option to "Show my name". Hope this helps as I am actually going to be away from the computer for a bit! Hark! Wink

AND I ADD: The same problem is on mchs1970.com. Now why is TAP special and the others are not working right? That is not fair. Wink

Edited 02/07/13 1:14 PM
Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 2:43 PM - Response #6

I agree. I wonder if this has anything to do with the template that is being used for the site?

Thursday, February 7, 2013 at 6:25 PM - Response #7

Well the two with the problem have not been changed. The only design I changed was TAP.

Next wonder... Wink

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM - Response #8

We will update when we hear back from the programmer.

Friday, February 8, 2013 at 3:10 PM - Response #9

Thanks, Scott!

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM - Response #10

Has there been an update to this problem? The box at the bottom has been working for me, until the last few days. Another class member has also reported to me that the online box at the bottom is no longer there. If there is a setting that got changed, please advise as to what it might be.

Thanks,

Dale

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 4:17 PM - Response #11

Nothing that I know of has changed and I just tested my test site and all seemed to work okay here. I would be interested to see if I receive any other reports of this happening.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 5:44 PM - Response #12

Someone had suggested in the past, that maybe it was the template. I am using Professional #7, however I think it was working after I had changed to that template. I did not knowingly make any changes, other than to center the page. I just changed it back to Left, but it did not help. I returned the pagees to Center, which I like much better. If you could give me some things to check, I would most appreciate it.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM - Response #13

Not sure how I can help as I see your list of Who's Online Now when I log into your site.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 5:55 PM - Response #14

It's not the 'Who's Online' location that's missing. It is the box that was at the bottom right of the screen, that showed the number of logged in members. Clicking on the up arrow in that box expanded it to show the names. It could also be used to send instant messages to any of those listed.

Thursday, August 29, 2013 at 6:22 PM - Response #15

I think this is what is called the 'IM Panel', that has gone away.

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 1:05 AM - Response #16

Dale,

A simple cause of this problem is accidentally clicking on the "X" at the right end of the red box. That causes the box to disappear, but it also causes a "Turn on IM" link to appear under "Member Functions". Clicking on that link will bring back the red box.

It that doesn't fix the problem, then I don't have a solution for you.

Jim

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 2:21 AM - Response #17

Unfortunately, I do not have the 'Turn on IM' link under any of the Member or Admin functions. Others are not seeing the IM box, either.
It was nice to have. I hope someone can help figure it out. Our site is only a little over 2 weeks old, and has very few joined members. It helped to be able to communicate with others online to evaluate what they are seeing.

Thanks,

Dale

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 2:38 AM - Response #18

Dale,

If it were just you having this problem, I would have two more suggestions for you, but if others are having the same problem, then that is beyond me. Even so, you might try the following just to make sure.

First, just hit your F5 key. After I wrote my reply above (#16), I tried my solution to make sure it worked and afterwards, my red box disappeared and no link under MEMBER FUNCTIONS. Hitting F5 brought it back.

Second, go to the bottom of your Edit Profile page and make sure there is a check in the Instant Messages box.

These suggestions may not fix your problem, but they are worth a try.

Jim

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 3:03 AM - Response #19

Hi Jim,

F5 does not do anything for me. Also, there is no Instant Messages box on my profile page. Is there a way to turn Instant Messaging on and off? I thought I saw it once, but now I can't find it.

Thanks,

Dale

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM - Response #20

Dale,

It’s not on your profile page, it’s on your Edit Profile page. Click on the Edit Profile link under MEMBER FUNCTIONS from the left column. Also, IM is only available if you have a Platinum account. Since you once had IM, I assume you have a Platinum account.

If that doesn't fix it, I'm out of ideas.

Jim

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 10:28 AM - Response #21

You hit upon it, Jim. Sometimes the obvious is too easily overlooked. The IM function was there during our free trial period. Once we subscribed at the Premium rate, IM went away. That would have happened at the time IM disappeared.

Sorry for all the false trouble, and thanks to all who tried to solve the issue.

Dale

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM - Response #22

You figured it out before I had a chance to reply. That was exactly what I just came up with. I did not realize that you were just recently in trial mode. Thanks.

Friday, August 30, 2013 at 11:49 AM - Response #23

When I posted this in February I wrote it as if I was talking to someone at CC who knew what they were experimenting with behind the scenes. I was able to move it from the bottom corner to the upper corner and back down whenever I liked! I LIKED that feature Smile Wish I had taken a screen shot. I did not. Sad

I know better than to click the X on that box. Wink

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.