ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Privacy statement

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/12/18 09:54 AM Views: 655 Replies: 5
Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 9:54 AM

As social media sites have sent us updated privacy statements via email, have you updated yours further than the fact that all email and physical addresses, as well as phone numbers, have been hidden from site members since 2013; only site administrators can see this information? I usually add that site administrators are aware they are not to give anyone's information to anyone including family and best friends. If someone wishes to contact another member, we can send that person's contact info to the member they wish to connect with, which allows the receiving member the option to accept, decline or say nothing. I note, the latter has happened a few times.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:23 AM - Response #1

In 2013, when Class Creator, citing privacy concerns, stopped displaying personal information (like address and phone number) in a profile view, we responded to the backlash from concerned classmates by creating a profile Q/A box where members were given the option to duplicate "Viewable Contact Information" if they wished to do so.

After announcing the new Q/A box, and emphasizing that profiles could be set to be only viewable by logged in and verified members, many added their address, phone number - and often their email address - for others to see. Traveling members took advantage of that to call or contact others as they passed through their cities. And some have created private email groups to include their choice of friends. In short, it has worked as we hoped it would.

That said, our sites were designed as an "all or nothing" experience. Any member (or guest) can see and do everything every other member can see or do. We've advocated in the past for a "Configurable Member Profile" with check box options granting or limiting a member's access. We asked for admin entered options for each member - somewhat similar to the co-admin options, such as "View Only", "View Profiles", "Allow Posts" - and even "Allow Login", to place limits and control what each member is allowed to do. That would be a major project, but in the current environment it may be worth discussing again.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 at 11:51 AM - Response #2

I will check into the updates question. I can say that they are always accessible by going to the Edit Contact Info page under the Member Functions (by all members) ... the link is in the upper right corner of the page.

Monday, June 18, 2018 at 4:25 PM - Response #3

Hi, John. I remember the day CC hid contact info. I believe we both were here in the discussion. It was an excellent move. That said, I was not asking if CC had updated info though it does make sense after receiving such from Facebook, Google, Twitter, LinkedIn, and others. I do see how my post could be taken as such.

I wanted to know if administrators have updated information to their members as to how contact information is handled as well as any information they share on their profiles. I am sure we all have members who received a number of updated privacy emails from the above-mentioned sites. The next thing they and new members may wonder about is the privacy of our sites - whether is posted or not. I believe it is best for us to follow the lead of social media sites rather than giving our members something to ponder. Adding that I've had two or three new members only add an email address, which is the opposite members previously.

I have all profiles locked from public view on all CC sites and have noticed a few added their phone number or other contact info in the profile section. My next email to members should include a reminder that checking their profiles (EDIT PROFILE) as that info may have changed and others may wish to add info to be contacted directly by site members. I think the best way to offer that is by adding a profile question. Hm, I think I may do that!

Monday, June 18, 2018 at 6:17 PM - Response #4

Gwen Corey wrote:

I wanted to know if administrators have updated information to their members as to how contact information is handled as well as any information they share on their profiles.

Hi Gwen!
For our site, we handled that with an updated "Privacy Statement" at the bottom of our home page, describing how we handle contact information - shortly after we implemented the "Viewable Contact Information" Q/A box. That statement is just as valid (and timely) now as it was then.

We also took administrative action where we could, locking all profiles from public access when we found members posting personal contact information in messages or comments in their own - or other - profiles, and making sure that home page boxes such as "Where We Live" were only shown to logged in members. In addition, we posted a more detailed description of profile visibility and how we handle personal contact information as a topic in our "Updates and Changes" page at that time too.

Saturday, June 30, 2018 at 11:51 AM - Response #5

Gwen,
We have let our members know in the past that only ONE person can see their addresses and other hidden information, and that is me, the root administrator.
If any of that information gets out en mass, there is only one person to blame.
With that said, there will be another site-wide survey about usage of our site will going out in mid July, I believe, that will not only reemphasize this point, but will see if members want their information 'published' on a members only page [thought I doubt any will}.
We will further add, that 'if Mary wants Sally's information, Mary can send Sally a private message asking for such.'

(The CC policy change in 2013 was done after a TAP Chat that Brad was involved in, correct?
There were some admin's who reported 'stalking and harassment' issues.)

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.