ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Embedding Third Party Objects

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 09/16/11 05:51 PM Views: 1210 Replies: 8
Friday, September 16, 2011 at 5:51 PM

I want to make a video using the "One True Media" website and embed it into my Home Page. To test the procedure for this, I quickly made a mock video and copied the code using "One True Media's" instructions. Then, I followed the instructions provided by Class Creator to embed the video. However, when I viewed my Home Page, the only thing there was the code, not the video. Also, as I toggled from page to page, it took a very long time for each one to open.

I've tried embedding other third party objects, and I get the same result every time--just the code itself appears but not the object. Note: These smaller files didn't cause the delay in pages opening.

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 6:45 PM - Response #1

Sandi,

Before you paste the code, click the SOURCE button. It doesn't look like a button, but it is. It is on the top row of icons, all the way to the left.

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:37 PM - Response #2

Hi Sandy - Welcome to the Help Forums, from one admin to another.

I see your home page is password protected. Which means only your REGISTERED class members will be able to log in and see that page.

You might be doing this while you are building the site -- which is understandable.

Generally you want the home page to be visible to all -- but you can control the content on that home page so that some is viewable only by registered users while other content is seen by all. (Use Announcements for each piece of content. You can choose who can view each announcement individually.)

i.e. one "Welcome" announcement for non-registered members, a different "Welcome" message for those who are already registered.

The "Classmate Profiles" page will need to be viewable by all so new members will be able to find their name and register -- but the members' individual profiles should be viewable only by other registered users.

Ask other admins here which pages they restrict and which they open up to all -- you'll get lots of great advice.

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:39 PM - Response #3

Thanks, Kyle.
According to Brad Switzer's instructions, I clicked the Source button both before and after pasting the code. Have any other ideas?

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM - Response #4

Thanks, John. You're right about my being in the process of building my site and not ready for anyone to see it yet. You made some excellent suggestions. Now I just need to figure out how to do what you've suggested.

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:47 PM - Response #5

If you are seeing the codes, you didn't click the SOURCE button before you pasted the codes. If you are seeing the codes, you must have pasted the codes into the text of your home page, so that is why the codes don't do anything.

Friday, September 16, 2011 at 7:55 PM - Response #6

This is what I did:
I clicked on Edit Site pages, then Edit Home Page. I clicked on Make New Announcement. A text box popped up. I clicked on Source. I pasted the code in the text box. Then I clicked on Source again.
What should I have done?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 9:39 AM - Response #7

I don't understand this part: I clicked on Make New Announcement. A text box popped up.

If you want to add an announcement, just click the left-side link called "POST ANNOUNCEMENT".

If you want the embedded object in your home page content, then Edit Site Pages, Edit Home Page, then scroll down the page to the editor window (it doesn't pop up).

I am not aware of any editor that pops up in the ClassCreator code.

It sounds like you did it right by clicking the SOURCE button first. Did you remember to click the SAVE CHANGES button so that your changes get saved?

Saturday, September 17, 2011 at 10:06 AM - Response #8

Thank you so much! I get it! It worked this time.

Rather than just scrolling down on the Edit Homepage page to the editor window, I was going to Edit Announcements and making a new Announcement for my video. Who knows why??? I guess I wanted to make it harder than it really is. Anyway, thanks!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.