ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Page Updates Index

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/17/09 03:11 PM Views: 1467 Replies: 5
Friday, July 17, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Hi everyone.

I'm looking for fresh ideas as to how I can present a piece on the Home Page that tells everyone what new items have been added, when and on what page.
I thought about using the Announcements and set up a table that would give me what I wanted - three columns for Page Name, Date and Title of new entry -but it spoils the effect if you position it above the text (it's not what you really want visitors to see first) and positioning it after the text makes it the last thing people will see and that's not what you want.

Another thought was to add a date to the page title in the left-hand column, but there's not enough space for that and just a date still means the viewer has to try to work out what the new piece is.

Has anyone done something similar or got any suggestions for me?
Thanks
Mark

Friday, July 17, 2009 at 6:29 PM - Response #1

You could use a "NEW" gif and link it to the page you want.. The classmate will click on the NEW and be taken to that page...

Friday, July 17, 2009 at 6:32 PM - Response #2

Hi Mark,
I use a forum on my User Forums for Site Updates.

One could use a customizable link or survey page and list dated updates with the most recent at the top, separated by a line (horizontal rod/hr) or anything else you want to use. Name the page something like Site Updates, and either leave it active on the left menu, or not active and just linked from anywhere on the homepage?

Edit: Yeah, what Lynda said :O)

Edited 07/17/09 6:33 PM
Friday, July 17, 2009 at 10:03 PM - Response #3

Hello Mark,
What usually works for me is sending a class/group/friendly email telling them something new and exciting has just been added to one of the custom links. One is titled Travelogue. Like when someone took the QE2 on its farewell trip to the British Isles, I try to build interest like saying,I heard this is the Rolls Royce of cruises, check it out. Another e.g. is titled Generations. I try to put a book review in there on most recent popular books and the other links are on food, pets, grandkids.
I noticed the best log ins occur on or after I send out these emails. The title of the custom links stay, what changes from time to time are the contents. If you want to check out my site,I have lifted the password for a few days, it being our 1-year anniversary. Hope this helps.
Thelma

Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 6:05 AM - Response #4

Thanks, Lynda, Marian, Thelma. Your thoughts are much appreciated. I'll consider them all.

Saturday, July 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM - Response #5

Hi Mark,

I added a page called "LP Class Updates." I try to add something every day and if not, several times a week. The most recent posts are at the top, and I always date them, centered. I alternate the text for each message between the two school colors, which also differentiates them. If something really exciting is happening, I send out a group email, giving everyone a hint, and telling them to read all about it on the Updates page. A lot of them weren't even checking that page when they signed in, now I notice a lot more people do that automatically to see what's new.

I tell the folks Happy Birthday there and whenever anyone has updated their page with new photos, I mention it there, telling people to check them out. I use the smileys a lot and graphics that are appropriate at the top of the messages to make them more interesting looking. I think you're right to want to update a lot. If not, people sign in and think nothing is happening, especially if the Message Forum has been slow.

We also have a Thunderation News page (the name of our high school newspaper) where I invite members to post stories and memories. We have poems, area history stories and even someone's cancer journal. We also have a member with a band, so we post his schedule there. I announce additions to that page on the Class Updates page. People start getting addicted to checking pages so that they don't miss anything, but it sure keeps me busy, trying to keep fresh new material on them!

Have fun with it!
Retha

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.