ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Scanning Yearbooks

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 07/16/14 04:31 PM Views: 1306 Replies: 14
Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Has anyone scanned yearbooks to the website I know it has been done on facebook If so, can anyone tell me how to do this?

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 at 11:35 PM - Response #1

Go to Ray Guim's site: www.bensalemowls.org

He has an open page titled YEARBOOK PROJECT.. wait til you see that. Then use Contact Us to ask Ray what they do.

I believe they use ISSUU as do many others.

Keep us posted. Cool

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 5:59 PM - Response #2

Does it cost money to use ISSU???

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM - Response #3

Well... I can search the forums to find the answer for you but I believe there is no charge. Several members use it.

They do not need our $$$ as many media publications use it and one would think they pay. I read my hometown newspaper on it daily. Smile

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM - Response #4

No you can use issuu for free, scan each page of the year book at 100 dpi and then turn all the pages into a PDF file and upload to issuu.

I have uploaded 22 year books to my websites. Take a look a www.seahawkluncheon.org under MBHS Year Books.

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 6:09 PM - Response #5

Issuu is free (at least some of it) as I scanned and uploaded our yearbook using it a few years ago. I had to separate the yearbook into Part I and Part II. Due to the size, there would have been a charge had I uploaded it as one.

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 6:15 PM - Response #6

If you use Acrobat Writer, you can reduce the size of your your file. I have uploaded as many as 189 pages. Scan at 100 dpi and the files are smaller.

Edited 07/18/14 6:16 PM
Friday, July 18, 2014 at 6:30 PM - Response #7

I scanned 525 yearbook pictures to put up onto the site, and while it was time consuming, it was pretty easy. I scanned a full page from the year book into Windows Live Photo Gallery, then cropped individual photos, named them and saved a copy. This last meant I have a picture on my hard drive if I need to replace one for some unknown reason. After I had all of them loaded on my computer, I went to each person's profile and followed the directions on the page to upload each photo. Very easy and every one looks great! Gloria Moreau

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM - Response #8

It's so time consuming..I just scanned a few pages from each of our yearbooks..I need to do the same for the '67 class that joined us 2 yrs ago. I feel bad I haven't done it yet. I am so busy packing and purging and doing our unfinished projects in the money pit. We want to get it listed soon. We are so far behind.
I wish there was a place that did it for you..I know it would cost some $$ willing to pay for it. We have quite a bit a money in our kitty for the website. I would use those funds. Anyone have a nice place that does that???

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 7:27 PM - Response #9

Dar,
I would check each office store (Depot, Max & Staples) as well as printer(s) you have near you. Don't stop at price, ask how much it will entail... will they need to separate the pages, quality of the scans and so on.

Before you do, check out Ray Guim's alumni site - Yearbook Project. His site deserves the top award for 'time consuming' projects. Cool

(Sorry, Randy. Wink )

Edited 07/18/14 7:28 PM
Friday, July 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM - Response #10

I will check him out after the maint is done..the sites are way to slow...got a few emails I need to get to the class..but don't want them all trying to log on..and get slow service. I will wait til tomorrow. Thanx for the info.

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM - Response #11

Because I have already done this project and know how to do it a lot faster than I did when I started, I would love to help you! If you want to send me your yearbook, I will do the scanning and send the files back to you. I am not sure how I could do the next step of uploading the photos for you, I would need access to your site and I don't know how you feel about that. As far as payment is concerned, I don't need the money, but maybe we could find a mutually acceptable charity that could use a donation! Let me know what you think. Honestly, a project like this makes me very happy! Gloria Williamson Moreau PS I live in New York.

Friday, July 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM - Response #12

For our Class Creator website, I scanned each yearbook page onto an external hard drive. People need to be aware that it won't happen over night but when done a little but at a time, it is possible and worth the time and required effort.

As far as the software used, it was the one then available for free by class Creator. It was very easy and convenient to upload each picture, add the music and then save the results to the allotted Class Creator web server space for our class account.

I also took the same now saved scanned yearbook pages that have multiple pictures of our classmates and further cropped each person's picture and saved it as an individual image file. Then when I uploaded each classmate's senior picture to display on their account page, I had these pre cropped and pre saved conveniently available to use.

Though time consuming, we didn't need to go outside of Class Creator and we still use the software and the images are fine. Our classmate site members now appreciate the convenience of being able to see the entire yearbook instead of only some selected pages. It just didn't make sense, to our committee, not to post the entire yearbook onto our Class Creator website.

Edited 07/18/14 8:53 PM
Friday, July 18, 2014 at 7:57 PM - Response #13

Thanx for the offer, Gloria. I don't scan the whole book just the highlights of each year and the grads. I was thinking about something like this in the future. Our Memorabilia Committee has a lot of old yrbooks from the 20's 30's & 40's. and of course from the 60's not sure about the 50's.

Saturday, July 19, 2014 at 2:53 PM - Response #14

Thanks for the award Gwen!

We have all but 5 years done from 1925 to present. Over 28,000 yearbook pictures plus 1,000+ Teacher pictures. This is a joint project with our local Historical Society. Since they have all the Yearbooks we provided them with a "book" Scanner and they are scanning all the books for us. After we get the books we then have some Members who cut, paste and upload to site. If pictures are worth a thousand words then what are 29,000 pictures worth?

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.