ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Class Connection - Guests

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 09/16/13 10:50 AM Views: 1033 Replies: 6
Monday, September 16, 2013 at 10:50 AM

"When Class Connection becomes live for all, will there be an easy way for folks from other schools to access out site via Class Connection on a limited basic, i.e., much like the System Password does now?"

Monday, September 16, 2013 at 7:41 PM - Response #1

Oooo, good question, Steve!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 3:47 PM - Response #2

I'm not certain if I totally understand the question, so I will answer the best I can. No one can access the password protected pages unless they are registered or receive the site password from you. Since I want the general public to visit many of our site pages, I only password protect those pages that are for our class's eyes only. Some of our guests are family members of our classmates who are deceased or people who have permission from our Committee to be guests. This way we protect the privacy of our classmates but leave the website available for all who are interested. If I have only stated the obvious and not answered your question, please forgive my intrusion to the conversation.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 4:03 PM - Response #3

The answer is it's not only much like the System Password, it's exactly the same as the system password. Class Connection is just the same data running inside the Facebook shell. It looks a little different here and there and functions a little different here and there due to necessity, but largely what you have is your Class Creator site running inside Facebook in the form of an app. Thus if somebody hits a password protected page, and they have your System Password, then yes they will be able to enter it and then see that page, just like they can now.

FYI we are adding one additional permission to the app: In addition to being able to make a page restricted to classmates only you'll be able to make it restricted to anyone from your high school only. E.G. your page permissions options will be:

1) Restrict page to viewing by my classmates only
2) Restrict page to viewing by anyone from my high schoo.
3) Allow anyone on Class Connection to view page

If you do 1 or 2 above and the viewer is not from your high school then your System Password is the only way to view the page.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 6:58 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

The answer is it's not only much like the System Password, it's exactly the same as the system password. Class Connection is just the same data running inside the Facebook shell. It looks a little different here and there and functions a little different here and there due to necessity, but largely what you have is your Class Creator site running inside Facebook in the form of an app. Thus if somebody hits a password protected page, and they have your System Password, then yes they will be able to enter it and then see that page, just like they can now.

FYI we are adding one additional permission to the app: In addition to being able to make a page restricted to classmates only you'll be able to make it restricted to anyone from your high school only. E.G. your page permissions options will be:

1) Restrict page to viewing by my classmates only
2) Restrict page to viewing by anyone from my high schoo.
3) Allow anyone on Class Connection to view page

If you do 1 or 2 above and the viewer is not from your high school then your System Password is the only way to view the page.

Brad, that brings up a question.

My class is older in their late 60s and up. Some of them have VERY Strong objections to Facebook (one said he will remove things from his Profile if I go Facebook). Others have no problem at all. Some just won't understand/believe that they are not going to populate the Facebook all over the world. Smile

I fully understand that we have the option to OPEN the Door, or CLOSE the Door with Class Connections. I also understand that with the door open that I have tremendous opportunity to find some classmates I have never found, using Facebook.

Would it be feasible to have just a bit more of Door Open or Closed only? I am thinking an Individual PREFERENCE that they could say "Don't Include My Profile on Facebook" defaulting of course to Include. Then I would not have to fuss with the crockety old guys. Door Open, but he/she could close their Personal Door.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 at 11:09 PM - Response #5

Well, no. Because this setting already exists. I.E. a classmate can simply restrict his or her profile to viewing by fellow classmates only. This would then also apply to the app... A classmate on the app is the same as a classmate on your Class Creator site. There's really no difference. So, that information is NOT shared with Facebook. In fact, nothing is shared with Facebook.

This is the single largest question we get. Let me go post a new forum topic just on this alone. It's probably good to answer this several times over the coming months. It'll be the first thing we address when we have our Google Hangouts about this. It's very important people understand just what "sharing with Facebook" means and doesn't mean.

Thursday, September 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM - Response #6

To read Brad's new topic click on this link Privacy regarding upcoming Class Connection Facebook app

Brad Switzer wrote:

Well, no. Because this setting already exists. I.E. a classmate can simply restrict his or her profile to viewing by fellow classmates only. This would then also apply to the app... A classmate on the app is the same as a classmate on your Class Creator site. There's really no difference. So, that information is NOT shared with Facebook. In fact, nothing is shared with Facebook.

This is the single largest question we get. Let me go post a new forum topic just on this alone. It's probably good to answer this several times over the coming months. It'll be the first thing we address when we have our Google Hangouts about this. It's very important people understand just what "sharing with Facebook" means and doesn't mean.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.