ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Wild Cards

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/11/13 12:51 PM Views: 1046 Replies: 6
Monday, March 11, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I have some pictures for a class. They are named by first names then last name. I am having a problem because names like John are sometimes Jack for example or I am even getting nicknames. Is there a way to use a wild card when doing a search for pictures?

Monday, March 11, 2013 at 1:25 PM - Response #1

When doing a search where?

Monday, March 11, 2013 at 2:32 PM - Response #2

"add yearbook photo" then "browse", this is where I need wildcard.

Monday, March 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM - Response #3

The file browse function is a built-in part of the web browser. There is nothing we can do to change it.

Monday, March 11, 2013 at 4:54 PM - Response #4

It's actually the open dialog for Windows hook and not part of browser code per se. Therefore you can use standard wildcards of * and ? (Mac should have similar options if that is what you are using).

So *.jpg gets all jpg files. Or somename*.jpg gets everything that has somename + anything else and is a jpg

*somename.jpg gets everything that has anything+somename this is jpg.

And somename.* gets anything with somename and any extension.

The ? is similar but different. It limits the number of wild characters.

some????.jpg gets all files that start with some + exactly 4 more characters and end in jpg.

These options can be combined in many ways.

-----------
Edit: For Windows after you enter the characters, press enter and then scroll down to see the results of the search.

Edited 03/11/13 5:13 PM
Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 8:12 PM - Response #5

Jack,
This does not seem to work for me. I am done the project now the old fashioned way.
Thanks for the effort.

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 8:50 PM - Response #6

I think maybe you didn't scroll the results window or I did a bad job describing?

If you had a specific result in mind I could show you the exact characters to enter.

Wildcard use is a very handy thing to learn since that works for all Window programs where you "open" a file. IOW, this works beyond just the CC browse use.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.