ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Linking

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/18/10 06:12 PM Views: 2151 Replies: 14
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 6:12 PM

OK, I have apparently gone brain dead again. I entered some glitter text from PagePluggins on my Home Page with the idea in mind of making it a link to a powerpoint file that is in my File Vault. So, I go to Edit Site Pages, then click on Edit Home Page, scroll to the glitter text (box with Flash inside), highlight the box, click on "insert/edit Link", it shows that I have what I believe is the URL for the Powerpoint file in this box, so I click on save, go back and Save the changes to the Home Page.

However, when I go directly to the Home Page and click on the glitter text, it takes me to the PagePluggins page. Got any idea what I am doing wrong? Edd

Edited 08/18/10 6:13 PM
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 6:34 PM - Response #1

Edd,

Your LINK is right, but since the object is embedded, they control what happens when you click on it.

If you view the SOURCE, you will see that there is a "clickURL=" and a website following it.... (here is a section).
&clickURL=http://www.pageplugins.com/generators/flash_glitter_text/&

I haven't tried it, but if you change everything from the "=" to the "&" (leaving those things still there) and replace "http://www.pageplugins.com/generators/flash_glitter_text/" with your URL, it might work how you want without using the LINK function.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 7:11 PM - Response #2

Well, I guess it's plan B. I tried your suggestion and it gives me an error page. Kind of interesting, this is the first time I have had an issue with PagePluggins, but there you are. Any other suggestions?

You can see that the URL I have entered is Zene15Szerelmesdal.pps. Edd

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 7:33 PM - Response #3

Try this site: http://www.things4myspace.com/glitter/

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM - Response #4

I noticed on your site you have a link to http://www.marshallmavs.com/class_admin_statistics.cfm - "Fun Stats". Nobody will see this but YOU. Unless you make them all admins, they won't be able to see any admin pages.

I fixed the Zene15Szerelmesdal.pps for you. You needed to include the FULL path name, including the "hhttp://marshallmavs.com/" to make the URL work.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 10:26 PM - Response #5

Thank you very much. I will give it a shot. Edd

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 10:29 PM - Response #6

Kyle, you da' man. Of course you know you da' man, because you fix so many of us that are broken. Thank you, again.

Where on my site did you see the "Fun Stats"? I would really like to have a place on the site for our Stats, but do not remember making one (it will not be the only thing I have forgotten lately). I am sure you have better things to do, so I'll go shop it out. Edd

Edited 08/18/10 10:42 PM
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 10:44 PM - Response #7

You're welcome.

Search for this:

Click Here For Fun Website Statistics

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM - Response #8

Brad, Brad, Brad, emergency...I had a page entitled 50th Reunion, and this had some stuff on it, but when I would go to "Edit" this page, that was where all of the Attendance data was located, and now the whole page is gone. Panic time. I will go back and look for it.

Ok, panic time is over. I don't know how it got checked to be inactive, or how a bunch of other pages suddenly got checked for password protect. Anyway, all is well again. I hope you are returning to read this stuff slow enough that me and others like me aren't making you crazy. Edd

Edited 08/18/10 10:54 PM
Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 11:08 PM - Response #9

That was the right path, but it turns out that the .pps comes up as a read only file. Since it was intended to play Platters music, I guess I will try something different. It came to me as an attachment to an email. Oh well...Thanks for you help anyway. Maybe I will shop for a way to convert it to a Flash. I think that was something you mentioned to someone else that was looking to enter a PowerPoint slide/music file. Edd

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 11:14 PM - Response #10

Is there any way to open up the Admin Statistics page to the rest of the class? You know, a way that it will continue to update without my going in and doing it daily or weekly?

Sorry to bug you so much, but when I realized that I had your attention for a moment, I wanted to be sure and take full advantage. Edd

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM - Response #11

NOPE - One of the statistics is already available on your home page. You can have the "Active Classmates" statistics as a right-side module on your home page. Go to Edit Site Pages, Edit Home Page, then activate the right-side module. But you already knew that because you have it activated already.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 12:40 AM - Response #12

As you know, I got the .pps file into my File Vault and then when I (I mean you) created a link to it, it came in as a "read only" file, which of course, defeats the purpose. I will still try and figure out a way to get that one, but in the meantime, I have received a .wmv music video file that of course, is not accepted in the File Vault. So, can you suggest a way that I can get it on my site. Do I maybe need to see if both files can somehow be converted to YouTube files? Edd

Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 10:58 AM - Response #13

Edd - You have to use the right file vault access to upload this file. If you use the image file vault, it will not work. Look for the Insert/Edit Link (icon with globe and chain) icon and that will open a window from which you can open that file fault that accepts non image files. You can link to to your file from there.

Thursday, August 19, 2010 at 1:41 PM - Response #14

Thanks Scott. I got the .WMA file uploaded. Now, to figure out how to deal with the .pps file. It seems that the only way to get these things onto the website is to change them to Flash files, which of course I know nothing about, but I will shop it out. Edd

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.