ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Create seamless backgrounds w/own photo or just one large background photo

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/31/11 03:44 PM Views: 1359 Replies: 4
Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 3:44 PM

For my business site on CC, I want to use one of my own images to avoid copyright problems. I find that I can get the image nice and wide, so it is spread fully across my large screen, but I can't get it longer. Ideally, I'd like it to work like selecting a solid color background would. Is this possible? I know I could find a different picture of mine where all the edges look the same and create a seamless look, but was trying to avoid that. Any ideas?

My business site which is just under construction is
http://www.classcreator.com/Brookfield-WI-Central-1928/class_index.cfm

Edited 03/31/11 3:49 PM
Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 9:21 PM - Response #1

I think I understand.

If your page gets longer you might want the little "fix" that stops the scrolling (when not logged in) and avoids the other tiling problem. Repeat can also be stopped.

Look at my background - I turned off the scroll and made a black edge on the left (not visible except for large screens and non IE). Could have filled that in, but I didn't think it needed more.

In IE that's full screen and the other browsers "shrink" it a tiny bit, but with the black it looks OK.

It's as wide as possible, 1920 x 1200, yours is only 1600 x 1050. IOW, it takes a 1920 x 1200 screen to get to the limits.

Image download size is identical to yours - just play with jpg compression setting, but up to 200KB works pretty much the same.

===============

There's also a scaling option that's wonderful for your solution, unfortunately it only works on the latest browsers. Maybe in another year.

Edited 03/31/11 9:29 PM
Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 9:34 PM - Response #2

Thanks, Jack. Yes, you do understand...better than I! I looked at yours and it seems you've done it. I'll play with that tomorrow and try to make it work on mine. I'll have to see how to turn off the scroll feature. I'll also increase the size of my image to what you suggest. I like the tulip you've got on yours...great color!

By the way, I never can figure out the picture you have to identify yourself....

Thursday, March 31, 2011 at 9:47 PM - Response #3

It's my Newfoundland. He was laying under a tree, a branch with snow fell on top of his head and he had no idea. That sort of sums me upWink

--------------------
To get the background fixed (not scroll), you need to put this inside the google analytics section of your site so it propagates to all your pages auto-magically:

You can "test" it first by inserting this on your home page to see how it looks.

Edited 03/31/11 9:48 PM
Friday, April 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM - Response #4

Wow! It worked! Color me amazed! Thanks so much! Now I think I'll switch to a different picture.

Have a great day!

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.