ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home Page changed on its own

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 05/10/10 02:38 AM Views: 1546 Replies: 5
Monday, May 10, 2010 at 2:38 AM

I haven't changed a thing on announcements and when I visited my home page everything is waaaaaaaaay down at the bottom! What happened?

If I had added new announcements I would have thought it was too wide, but I haven't done anything.

Kyle, Brad, can you please take a look?

Cheryl

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 3:52 AM - Response #1

Sorry I'm not seeing anything wrong. Are you still seeing it that way now?

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 11:33 AM - Response #2

Brad Switzer wrote:

Sorry I'm not seeing anything wrong. Are you still seeing it that way now?

Yes, all announcements are still at the bottom of the page with just a white space from the top to where they start.

I use IE8, Windows 7. I just found that if I increase the size on screen it views OK. No, wait . .

For the first time it looks like it depends on at what percentage I'm viewing. That's never affected my site before. Now I cannot freely reduce or enlarge the viewing in IE8 and have it appear correctly.

Is this something that changed on my computer?

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 1:01 PM - Response #3

Are you increasing your font size or increasing your browser magnification?

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 1:34 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

Are you increasing your font size or increasing your browser magnification?

Both. I didn't realize changing font size in IE would do that. And, depending on which font size I choose, the magnifying is limited. I experimented and don't know exactly what the magic combiniations are, but I see how my page is affected.

Yep, learn something new every day. Thanks for teaching us. Glad to know my members aren't having problems, too.

Monday, May 10, 2010 at 4:40 PM - Response #5

Browser magnification only usually isn't so important when it comes to page formatting. But changing your font size is. If you increase font size you'll change the formatting of most pages on the web at least in some fashion or another.

Take really long hyperlinks for example, like this one:

http://www.myspace.com/dividedbysix

That might fit at a normal size font, but if you blow that up to a really large font it can no longer fit in the space intended, and thus it's going to push down the entire document until the next area it can actually fit into. You can minimize the changes of this happening by not including long hyperlinks like this at all. Rather than displaying them like you're doing currently, instead make a simple word or phrase clickable and bury the long hyperlink underneath it. Not only will this lessen the odds of somebody turning on oversized fonts and messing up the formatting of your page, it's really more clean and usable for your readers anyway.

So rather than doing this:

Divided by Six (http://www.myspace.com/dividedbysix) will be providing music.

I would do this instead:

Divided by Six will be providing music.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.