ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Multi-year vs. Single Year sites

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/28/10 06:27 PM Views: 1621 Replies: 4
Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:27 PM

There is a box that I can check that will switch my site from a single year site to multi-year site. Is there a similar box that allows me to put it back to a single year--for whatever reason?

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:30 PM - Response #1

Nope, Changing to Multi-year is a permanent function. You cannot switch back.

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 6:53 PM - Response #2

I have a multi-years site, from '62-'69 but don't have any names listed for '65, that year does not show up on "classmates profile" selection. I put a fictious name on some years so that year will show up on the list, then when someone joins the site for that year I can remove the non-name. The site is www.marshallmavs67.com

Edited 06/28/10 6:55 PM
Monday, June 28, 2010 at 7:28 PM - Response #3

John Christman wrote:

There is a box that I can check that will switch my site from a single year site to multi-year site. Is there a similar box that allows me to put it back to a single year--for whatever reason?

When you change from single to multi, the whole structure of the underlying database changes. Several new tables for data structure are added, classifying Classmates by year, etc. are added. Once in this structure there would be no way to put the data back into a simpler structure. Not without creating a huge mess, anyway. Potentially programming could be added to take a multi year site and split it apart into multiple single year sites, although I've never heard of anybody actually wanting to do that.

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 7:30 PM - Response #4

Donald Carter wrote:

I have a multi-years site, from '62-'69 but don't have any names listed for '65, that year does not show up on "classmates profile" selection. I put a fictious name on some years so that year will show up on the list, then when someone joins the site for that year I can remove the non-name. The site is www.marshallmavs67.com

That's correct. If you show a year with no Classmates, and a viewer clicks on that Year, what would they see? At best we could only show a message that there are no Classmates here. On larger multi year sites the game of cat and mouse hunting for Classmates, especially when a site is new and just starting to attract members, is very cumbersome for people. It's for this reason that we don't show a Year on the master list at all if there's nothing behind that year to be seen.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.