ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

How to use a brick?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/10/12 07:22 PM Views: 1544 Replies: 11
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 7:22 PM

They are tearing down and rebuilding 3 elementary schools and the high school and replacing them with new ones. We can get the bricks that are still in one piece for keep sake. 2013 will be our 40th any ideas on things we could do with the bricks for the reunion? Thinking of things like place settings or something to take home. Or a decoration on the brick type things? Any creative minds out there?

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 7:44 PM - Response #1

If you are using 40 year anniversary ballons - use the bricks as your weights. Depending on your class size - maybe have some for your classmates to use as a keepsake in their home gardens. Just a thought.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 7:51 PM - Response #2

Here's a suggestion: Set a tealight candle on the brick at each place setting with a small note for the attendee to take it home and use the brick as a bookend. Maybe you could get a rubber stamp made with "40th Reunion" and your school logo and stamp the brick. In the center of the table you could stack the bricks (maybe 3 or 4 high) in a triangular formation with a large candle lit inside.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 7:57 PM - Response #3

Donate them to your local Habitat for Humanity ReStore. They can sell them to raise funds for another home.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 8:19 PM - Response #4

I have several bricks from old buildings in St. Louis that I use as bookends. I also have commemorative bricks that represent a brick I purchased to put in the walkway of The History Museum and Busch Stadium. They all have a brass plate with my name and whatever else I might have requested.

Your school district should use the as a fundraiser to help build the new schools. Your class could start the tradition!

Edited 07/10/12 8:21 PM
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 8:42 PM - Response #5

You could sell the bricks to classmates and either use the money to defray costs OR donate the money to a mutual cause.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM - Response #6

Being able to get the bricks is neat.... I'd ask for some artistic help, and put the school logo on each one, and the name of the attendee. Heavy 'place cards', but memorial ones!

Barbara Ritter Paris

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM - Response #7

1st 0f all I would get as many bricks as possible. The ideas are endless but the bricks are not. Solicit anyone with a truck to help you. just get as many as possible.

Edited 07/10/12 10:05 PM
Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM - Response #8

All wonderful ideas, to which I would like to add raising funds for your class by having the smaller pieces of brick made into desk paper wieghts with either carved wording or a plaque attatched.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM - Response #9

I have had three boxes of bricks I picked up from the demolishion of our old high school 20+yrs ago. I have been trying to come up with ideas of what to do with them to raise money for the class. These ideas are helpful. Originally, I was thinking of bookends, doorstops or paper weights with some kind of an emblem showing the old school and the date of existence. I was going to glue of bolt them to a wood base so they wouldn't scratch a bookshelf or other surface. Problem is I'm not very crafty so the follow through has been poor.
Keep the ideas coming. This is great!

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 at 12:28 PM - Response #10

I agree keep the ideas coming. There are some great ones here. I have the truck, all I need is a vision. I love the idea of stamping them with a logo or something.
Here is a cute idea It's a candle in one hole and a small plant in the other

Edited 07/11/12 1:00 PM
Thursday, July 12, 2012 at 5:20 AM - Response #11

All great ideas!
A piece of felt glued to the bottom for use as a paperweight maybe instead of on a block of wood.
Perhaps at the new high school, they would allow you to have built a small garden or setting area with a bench. The old bricks could be made into the base or walkway, wall for a raised planter, etc. Depending on the number of classmates you have [and maybe get other classes to participate], everyone could 'buy' a brick to fund the project. Maybe make it a memorial to classmates who have passed on.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.