ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Center Image

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/19/13 10:26 AM Views: 1241 Replies: 12
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I have always relied on "Image Properties" and "Alignment" to center images on my page. In the last year or so it seems the option to click "Center" is missing from the editor a good deal of the time (not always). Instead, I'm finding only "Left" or "Right" options available. I've tried editing with both Firefox and IE with the same results.

A refresher on how to center items the correct way would be much appreciated. Very Happy

Edited 02/20/13 5:02 PM
Tuesday, February 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM - Response #1

Please provide the URL (complete web address) of a page on which you are not seeing the Center option in the editor so we take a look.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 2:43 PM - Response #2

I've activated the page I'm working on now:

http://www.battlecreekcentral68.com/class_admin_pages_form.cfm?page_id=224571

The rose, the sailboat and the baby images are all giving me the option of "right" or "left" alignment only. I can only seem to get them close to where I want by "cheating" them into place by adding a lot of spaces.

Edited 02/20/13 5:00 PM
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 2:55 PM - Response #3

On examining the problem, I can see that it is just that the editor can't do what you want exactly how you want to do it. You'll have to modify the Source view to achieve the exact look you want.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:37 PM - Response #4

source view?

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:46 PM - Response #5

The HTML Source code for your page. Click the Source button in the upper left corner of the editor toolbar.

Here's a resource to get you started: http://w3schools.com">http://w3schools.com

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM - Response #6

I used HTML briefly, but I just don't need it often enough to remember it. I was simply hoping to understand why the "center" option is in the editor sometimes and not others.

I'll just use the workaround via tables I found earlier. Thanks anyway.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 6:37 PM - Response #7

I can't see your page, but don't feel alone. Images are a PIA to work with - if you have text. The only reliable method is CSS but that's another jump to learn.

Tables are a quick and effective method most of the time. Only problem is that browsers like Safari, mess up spacing. Using spaces should be minimized if possible, although I still use them a tiny bit at times Embarassed

I put tables inside of tables to fix the common issues - like centering. You can center the table and along with it the image. Images don't have 'center', just the align options, so that's why it's not there.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 7:23 PM - Response #8

Jack,

Thank you so much for helping me try to understand this! I opened up my homepage so you can see the whole thing. I also opened my "Classmate News", found under the "Sharing" tab. That's the page I am having trouble with.

I was certain the issue about IMAGES you mentioned must be my problem, but then I got to thinking about my homepage. It's almost all images! Every image I've added there centers automatically. To test this I added the sailboat I was having trouble with on "Classmate News" to my homepage. There it is...Centered! No boxes checked. No cheating spaces! But without a major "cheat" on "Classmate News" the exact same image just won't center unless I put it in a table!

I've been checking out lots of CC websites lately looking for new content for my page. I've seen several homepages that appear to be having problems with the centering issue too. Some items look like the admin intended them to be centered, but they are hanging on the left margin.

So, I guess the question now is...What did I do differently on my homepage that makes everything automatically center for me when the exact same images can't be centered unless I put them in a table on my "Classmate News" pageQuestion

Edited 02/20/13 8:19 PM
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM - Response #9

The answer is both simple and mysterious. Although you can't center images, you can center 'selected objects'.

First make sure the image does not have any alignment. Image alignment properties should be 'not set'.

So what you do is get the image selected by left click and drag across the image from top to bottom of the image. Hopefully it 'lights up' showing it's been selected. Now the centering option appears. Click it and image is centered. Sort of meant for text I think.

If you have trouble getting the mouse to select, put a single character on top of the image and a single character below. Now left click drag from the top char to the bottom char. Click center tool as the image lights up. Carefully backspace the dummy characters to remove them. You can tell if you went too far since the image will jump back.

One note to remember: You can't put text on the sides of an image centered that way. That's what the image options are for. Or you can use tables. Or you can use CSS.

Hope that helps solve a mystery. That's how your other images got centered.

If you ever get into source mode, you just need to put this around an image

Edited 02/20/13 8:19 PM
Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 8:27 PM - Response #10

Your grandparents section reminded me of a saying:

There is only one prettiest baby and every mother has one.

That should also be:

There is only one prettiest grandchild and every grandparent has one.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 8:48 PM - Response #11

Jack, LOL...are you ready for this ridiculously easy fix for all of this? I went to try your solution,(thank you again!) I added the sailboat to the bottom of my "Classmate News" page. (I saved it so you can see) It popped up...CENTERED!!! But! when I added the sailboat to the top of the page, it went back to the left. It appears that the trick for us non-HTML writers is to put a centered TABLE at the top of the page. The images that appear after the table will center automatically! Now, heaven help the soul who doesn't want the next image to be centered! Laughing

Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 9:26 PM - Response #12

The align center stuff is there. It propagated without your knowledgeConfused The editor has a mind of it's own or should I say it thinks it knows what you want.

That's why source mode is a handy thing to figure this stuff out. Sometimes it's the only way to fix things.

In the case of someone working with a centered image, all they have to do is apply the align property and it will override. That's pretty common when text wraps around an image. You wouldn't want the text to control the image alignment in that case. I still use tables since it's so quick and dirtySmile

In the end, all we need is a way to get what we want. I've done some silly things in hindsight, not knowing the 'right' way to do it.

Edited 02/20/13 9:27 PM
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.