ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Responding to Members' Cookie Question?

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/11/09 11:14 AM Views: 1636 Replies: 1
Friday, December 11, 2009 at 11:14 AM

A new member sent me this email:

"Thank You John for your PHHS 50th Reunion invite. I set up my profile however when it came to the place to enable third-party cookies i stopped. Unfortunately i will not be able to use the information provided on your site. I find it works best for me to keep my computer set high on privacy. Unsure how to allow cookies from your site and not from others to keep my privacy setting?"

I need help answering this. Can't a member still participate without having cookies set? What would be the compromise to that person?

Thanks

Friday, December 11, 2009 at 12:45 PM - Response #1

Cookies are a very normal part of web development. Some of the early "cookie scares" out there were overblown (in my opinion). Cookies can do less in terms of privacy issues than people probably think.

Yes, cookies are required to stay logged in to Class Creator. Yes, you can turn off cookies globally and then only allow them for certain sites. How to do that depends on the browser. Here's some instructions for Internet Explorer and Firefox, the two most popular browsers.

If the member has a different browser just Google "how to allow cookies for specific sites in ". Like I said in most situations there would be little reason for doing this, but then I don't know every situation or people's specific privacy concerns. Fortunately it's an easy thing to set up if anybody wants to do this.

Edited 12/11/09 12:59 PM
New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.