New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

message forum

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/05/10 06:07 PM Views: 2088 Replies: 6
Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Clair Schultis
10/05/10 4:57 PM

mcpherson61.com

we launced our site about a month ago and have gotten about 50 of 90 class members that have email addresses signed on---how do we get people to stick their toe in the water and participate, ie using the message forum---some of our folks are not very computer savy and we are sensitive that we want everyone to feel they are on equal status with everyone else even though they maybe weren't "popular" or ran with the "in crowd" or played sports, etc---if you know what I mean----any suggestions---you guys are really helpful---thanks---
Clair

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 6:31 PM - Response #1

Everyone of us admin individuals have had that problem.Crying or Very sad

One of the ways I have got them to use the site is send out e-mails about different things from DO you remember when or I will e-mail them the list of missing classmates and ok Tell me who knows where these individuals are, Check and see if there are any different class on ClassCreator Try and join as a guestmember of there site and see what they are doing.

If you see something on a site just copy - save for you to use. good luck

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 7:38 PM - Response #2

Yep, we've all been there, Clair...

Welcome to the Help Forums.

50 out of 90 registered in one month is doing great.

I think the three secrets of getting people to register is content, content and content.

Most of my content is limited to viewing by registered users only.

Try to add something new at least once a month. Take down the old stuff -- put it in an archive, but don't continue to build your home page by continuously adding things to it.

Try seeding your Forums with questions most anyone can answer -- like whose homeroom were you in? Who was your favorite teacher? Who did you go to the prom with? Which elementary school did you attend? Ask them to share those 'whole class' photos that were usually taken in the elementary years.

Pull out your yearbook and do as William suggested above -- recall an event unique to your class and ask people to comment on their memories of that event.

I'm still stumped by how few I can get to participate in our forums -- but the class members all rave about the website.

For those of us looking at our 50th reunion, I've offered this advice before:

"It's not about hairlines, waistlines or credit lines...
...it's about life lines -- reconnecting with our friends from some of the best years of our lives."

You don't have to have run with the 'in-crowd' to make friends with them at the 50th reunion.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM - Response #3

Claire
the break-down of class distinction will take place pretty much on its own, with the growing familiarity and the constant message of "at our age who cares" the more added to bio's the more familiar people become with each other and with the reading of all new bios will bring up questions. And then there's the real goofy people that make up stories that really become humorous. I don't remember when I was visiting with ya'll in August if I mentioned I sent a "blast the class" with either information about reunion/meeting or just something going on. I tried not to make it my blog, however, it did generate viewing. I look at my stats daily, sometimes more than once and if they go down, I put something out there. We have had some great discussions about teachers, other classmates memories, and our very own Russell Crawford and all his "crushes".. check it out on class of 60...

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 2:10 PM - Response #4

Hey----thanks so much ----will try the "do you remember" idea--Clair

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 2:16 PM - Response #5

thanks so much---will try some of your ideas--Clair

Thursday, October 7, 2010 at 2:17 PM - Response #6

Marlene---thanks so much for you info---and glad to have you as a guest member----Clair

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.