ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Home Page with JVideoPlayer is not updating

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 04/27/16 04:23 PM Views: 2349 Replies: 36
Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 4:23 PM

I'm using Jack Vermeulen's JVideoPlayer on the Home Page and have never had a problem until a few days ago. I can update the player, the changes show on the Edit Page, but Not on the Home Page. The Home Page shows the Old Player.

I can remove the Old player and the Home Page displays that it has been removed, but when I replace the Old Player with a New Player (that works on other pages just fine), when I paste it into the Home Page, rather than displaying the New Player, the Old Player is presented.

Now the first thing that comes to mind is that my cache is not refreshing. I've hit F5, Control F5, cleared the cache, despite flushing the cache and opening in a totally new browser, the Old Player is displayed.

Believing that a cache was still, somehow, failing to flush completely, I installed several new (never installed on my computer) browsers, Avant, Torch and Maxthon and also used my wife's computer browser who hadn't visited our Home Page recently. All displayed the Old Player, and alternately, all would display the page with the Old Player removed, but when ANY new Player was installed, the Old Player displayed.

[If you go to my site, the 3rd video Should show a dedication preceded by asterisks(new version); if you see minus signs, it's the old version. ]

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and again, this only started perhaps 3 days ago, and reducing the number of videos has no effect (removing the asterisks and minus signs in the titles also have no effect).

Thanks

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:44 PM - Response #1

Somebody at CC has made a mistake in generating pages. It removed "script" tags so that results in code showing instead. IOW, this affect more than just jvideoplayer.

Regular sites (non-responsive) had this too for a short while and somebody noticed and fixed it.

AND .. tada.. Responsive is just fixed too.

Edited 04/27/16 7:44 PM
Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM - Response #2

Btw, (I think you reported this?) the CSS issue on iPad, iPhone made me generate 'iframe' code to bypass Responsive CSS style stuff. It causes some videos to come up 'restricted' and poor response. Pretty weird actually since it works fine on everything else.

It not easy to figure out what parts are causing the styling (without the added code) issue since there are gobs and gobs of CSS that have nothing to do with CC site stuff Evil or Very Mad

Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:58 PM - Response #3

OK, my player pages are back to normal, but I still have the same problem that my Home Page will not update even though the Edit Page shows the change.

Has to be something on CC's side since creating a new page and copying the code produces an updated player, but for some reason, CC code is pulling an outdated version of the player, even when I remove one, save, view it's gone, then add a different player altogether. Strange.

Edited 04/27/16 8:04 PM
Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 9:10 PM - Response #4

Try latest Firefox 46.0 or just another browser to see if it's just a caching issue.

I've found that derivative browsers (such as PaleMoon) tend to have bugs. I suspect it's not refreshing your page here.

There's one browser that promises to be able to run as one of four browsers, but in practice NONE of them work correctly.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 1:49 AM - Response #5

Yes, that was my first thought, that somehow my cache was loading the old player. I normally refresh with Control F5, cleared my cache, deleted history, offline content, and even looked up all the instructions to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'd recently switched to PaleMoon from Firefox version 44 and just updated to 46.0. All previously worked well until Sunday, then changes to my player were no longer reflected on the Home Page.

In addition to clearing my PaleMoon cache, I cleared Firefox, Chrome and I.E. caches. I cleared the Chrome cache, "obliterating" "to the beginning of time", then uninstalled Chrome deleting all offline content, rebooted and reinstalled Chrome. Still getting the Old Player on ALL browsers, if I have any player on my home page.

I can delete the player, and all pages display without the player, I can change the text on the Home Page, and view the changes online, but when I add a New Player, the New Player shows on the Edit Page, but the Old Player displays in all the browsers.

I even downloaded and installed some browsers that were totally new to me and my computer and couldn't possibly have a cache to read, the Maxthon and Torch browsers and also tried Avant, as well as Chrome on my wife's computer, who had not visited the website and had no cache saved. All display the old player, although Chrome flashed the new player up for a split second, then the old. I've even imported my playlist and recreated a new player and tried that, also tried a different player with different videos.

If there is a player, new or old on my Edit Page, the Old Player displays on all browsers.

I'm having a hard time even trying to understand how this happens, unless it's a CC thing, but if I can view other changes to the page, why am I seeing the Old player?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 11:50 AM - Response #6

Could you let me see the home page?

Update worked on this end for a Responsive site.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 12:34 PM - Response #7

I'd appreciate that. I've sent you an email through classcreator with user name and password. The Home Page is about 12 pages down on the Edit Page.

Edited 04/28/16 12:41 PM
Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 1:03 PM - Response #8

Had me confused for a bit but in the end simple to fix.

There are TWO different playlists and they both use id="JVideoPlayer"

The original way to have two playlists was to use an iframe (documented), but I added another method that is much easier but did not document it yet. Here's how it works:

To get multiple playlists on the same page, change the name "JVideoPlayer" to anything else. The new generator shows the option.

(Assuming you want two playlists?)

To fix your home page, name the second one id="JVideoPlayer2" and then add &vplayerID=JVideoPlayer2 to the end of the parameters. You already have the &vplayerID so just add a '2' making the id="JVideoPlayer2" and &vplayerID=JVideoPlayer2 sections.

(edit to clear up defs again - technically names can be anyname legal for javascript code ).

Edited 04/28/16 6:03 PM
Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 2:08 PM - Response #9

Well, I thought I had it, but I've still got a glitch. I'm now seeing the New player on both players. Apparently I have the 2 in the wrong place (renamed the second incorrectly) or missed one.

Edited 04/28/16 4:41 PM
Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 3:26 PM - Response #10

I send you an email directly regarding this issue.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 4:31 PM - Response #11

Gary, var is always var, not var2 - that's the issue now (besides something else we need to get cleared up with CC)

For you has nothing to do with what Scott is sending.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 4:32 PM - Response #12

His issue is not related to CC change. It was just a typo again.

Please read the email I sent you. There's some confusion here on JVideoPlayer, YouTube and iframes in general.

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

I send you an email directly regarding this issue.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:10 PM - Response #13

Jack,

When you get a chance, please take a look at my site again. I think I'm not fully understanding how to implement your suggestions.

Forget the Home Page, just look at the top page in my Edit Pages section, it's got 3 players that "should" be different.

If you don't mind, please make any changes needed, I've granted you Edit Page privileges.

Thanks again

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 5:56 PM - Response #14

Sorry my mistake, been laying 400 stones and I got stoned I guess. I'll fix with correct info.

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM - Response #15

Fixed - my mistake - I redid post #8. I only saw two players??

Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 10:15 PM - Response #16

That fixed it and everything is now working as it should.

Thanks!

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 4:18 PM - Response #17

Jack,

I've got a question. When I'm trying to use your JVideoplayer creator and add a playlist rather than a single video, sometimes it will run and load all the videos on the playlist and other times it will hang up and I get an error message saying the "Video is not starting - connection?"

I can paste in a playlist that fails, then delete everything after the videoID and the single video loads just fine.

I've tried this in PaleMoon, Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Reloading with Control F5 seldom works, and Clearing the cache sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. No real pattern that I can see. Any suggestions?

Question 2
Is there any way to utilize cookies with your players so that a returning classmate will pick up on the playlist where they left off last time?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 7:14 PM - Response #18

Guessing that when you load multiple songs, YouTube has to locate all those videos to make the "optional" drop down list - icon in the upper left. That means it is sensitive to YouTube network (in the broadest sense) loads.

Try disabling that and see what happens: &vsuppressList=1

You loose the forward/backward arrows from YouTube.

Cookies sound interesting. Before I look at cookies want to figure out the CSS Responsive Design issue so I can simplify and make it work better on mobile devices.

Friday, June 17, 2016 at 1:17 PM - Response #19

Thanks Jack,

Actually, it's not when I'm trying to play the players that I'm having trouble, it's when I'm trying to Create the player. When I paste a single video into the player, it always works and creates the playlist correctly, but when I try to add a video with, say, a 50 video playlist, sometimes it works, but mostly it doesn't. It used to work correctly every time, but the past 3 to 4 weeks it began failing.

Typically I'll get one of two possible messages 1) An error occurred. Please try again later. This, I believe, is possibly due to the network load that you mentioned. OR 2) dYneeXVOAyA video not starting - connection? and possibly this is a network load problem as well?

Problem 1) can often be cured by reloading, but problem 2) fails repeatedly, even after closing the browser, restarting the computer, and in Chrome, clearing everything from the beginning of time.

This is the one I'm wondering if there is a solution to?

You'd mentioned using, &vsuppressList=1 and that the control arrows would disappear, however on my Pizza Hut music player, I've got &vsuppressList=0 and the control arrows still Disappeared. Not sure what's happening with that since that, for my players, was a more reliable method of moving between songs, formerly, clicking on the song title would freeze the player, however, now that the arrows have disappeared, clicking on the title now reliably moves to that song. [Edit discovered cause, I've got over 100 videos on this one.]

This is nice, however, the arrows permitted faster movement by fast clicking them multiple times, (not to mention that I'd spent quite a bit of time trying to educate my classmates not to click on the songs, but use the arrows), the ideal would be for Both to work reliably, still, all in all, if I can only have one, perhaps the click on the title is the best, but I'd sure like to load 50 video playlists into the creator all at once.

The thing that puzzles me is that it used to work reliably, but now doesn't. YouTube tweak 3 to 4 weeks ago perhaps that broke or damaged something?

Thanks again!

Edited 06/17/16 2:03 PM
Friday, June 17, 2016 at 1:49 PM - Response #20

Jack,
Have you ever thought of adding numbering to the player creator to make it easier to find the entries?

The reason I ask is that when your creator verifies the entries and finds one where the owner does not allow it to be included in playlists, it reports the error as

video 43 RxOBOhRECoo the owner does not allow this to be used in a player (going from memory).

It's hard to find video #43 in the created list. Numbering would simplify the process of finding and replacing it with an alternative that could be used, while still keeping the play order intact.

Additionally, the ability to edit the playlist to add that replacement code directly, (possibly within the Arrange option?) would be very nice.

[ An extension of this would be to write a routine to open a new window and create a YouTube search for the title so that we could find and select an alternative. But then again, we can do this ourselves. I'm just thinking out loud. ]

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 12:16 AM - Response #21

For the adding of videos, which list/page is the one that acts odd if you add one? I can do it myself and isolate it to network issues if it tends to work for me.

I automatically disable the "arrows" if there are videos that are not present in the YouTube list. Has to be done for it even to work.

Yes the YT video limit (where I remove the 'arrows') happens somewhere over 100 videos OR if I discover that a video has been removed (no longer in the YT list). It's not an exact number.

I have a test list with 1000 videos that works fine - but they have to be clicked. I have a test version with my own fwd/back arrows, etc but it's so much nicer/tidier to use the YT controls.

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 12:30 AM - Response #22

Yes, but I didn't because you can use the YT id to find the video pretty easily. The number shows in the upper right when it's playing. This goes along with the next ..

You can edit the list by clicking Import. That gives you a text listing of all the videos that can be searched using your browser (at least in FF) and then you can replace. IOW, pretty much like a text editor.

Gary Scott wrote:

Jack,
Have you ever thought of adding numbering to the player creator to make it easier to find the entries?

Additionally, the ability to edit the playlist to add that replacement code directly, (possibly within the Arrange option?) would be very nice.

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 3:21 AM - Response #23

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

For the adding of videos, which list/page is the one that acts odd if you add one? I can do it myself and isolate it to network issues if it tends to work for me.

I'm using your player creator that you have at
https://www.classcreator.com/000/7/7/0/13077/userfiles/file/html/JVideo-mainpage.html

One playlist that gives me a "citlhnGZxyw Video not Starting - connection?" message when I paste it into the player creator is this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citlhnGZxyw&list=RDcitlhnGZxyw#t=10

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzVLQTovv_g&list=RDRzVLQTovv_g#t=37

Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 5:13 AM - Response #24

For the generator, remove the &list=etc from both. Although it looks like I'm parsing OK, there's something that is trying to make another 'start', which results in "not starting" message.

Monday, June 20, 2016 at 1:22 AM - Response #25

Jack Vermeulen wrote:

For the generator, remove the &list=etc from both. Although it looks like I'm parsing OK, there's something that is trying to make another 'start', which results in "not starting" message.

Yes, that's what I've been doing when the whole playlist fails to start, however that loads a single video, one at a time, rather than adding, say, all 50 videos all at once like it used to. Loading a single code works reliably every time, but the playlist frequently fails to add the multiple codes like it once did.

I'm just not sure why, or if there is anything I can do other than add the codes one at a time?

Monday, June 20, 2016 at 11:12 AM - Response #26

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you just wanted that video since it had the # tag (that picks the specific video on YT in a playlist).

To use/retrieve a PLAYLIST, remove the #t=10, etc from the end. Code assumes that the playlist id is correct and does not check for anything else added since I think there is some variation there over time. Or maybe I just wanted to leave room for YT changes?

so this works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzVLQTovv_g&list=RDRzVLQTovv_g

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citlhnGZxyw&list=RDcitlhnGZxyw

sorry for not interpreting the question correctly

Edited 06/20/16 11:17 AM
Monday, June 20, 2016 at 10:24 PM - Response #27

Thanks Jack,

Removing the #t=10 worked on some browsers, but not on others (Firefox, PaleMoon, Opera and Chrome).

But I'm puzzled about how to utilize a URL formatted like this one which doesn't have the #t=10 and fails to run on any of the browsers I've tried.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqoEEAgRaU&list=PLiD8BTFpEhhPvKUPxS8pXbWuiEGLMkSw4

I've got to guess that perhaps YouTube changed their coding since it used to work reliably and now doesn't?

Monday, June 20, 2016 at 11:03 PM - Response #28

I'm assuming you are talking about the generator here, not the actual link for a browser execution? Just in case, all those links also work directly in the browsers listed below.

These links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzVLQTovv_g&list=RDRzVLQTovv_g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=citlhnGZxyw&list=RDcitlhnGZxyw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqoEEAgRaU&list=PLiD8BTFpEhhPvKUPxS8pXbWuiEGLMkSw4

IOW ALL those playlists (3) worked for me in FF, Chrome, Opera, Edge and IE 11. Palemoon doesn't count. Not going to load it again since it's just not mainstream enough. Had some bugs too, so I removed it.

The https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdqoEEAgRaU&list=PLiD8BTFpEhhPvKUPxS8pXbWuiEGLMkSw4 is an example of the other formats I recalled, making it not possible to make up any sort of 'rule'.

So it's something else on your system/connection/config somewhere.

What happens? Do you get an error message or?

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 1:01 AM - Response #29

Yes, in the generator. As you mentioned, all links work in all browsers, and using only the https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11digitcode will always add that single video,

but when I paste the long playlist and click "add URL" to the generator it hangs for a long time, then I usually get a message "11digitcode Video not Starting - connection?"

Thinking it might be a problem on my system, I've tried it on my desktop and laptop, tried clearing the caches on all browsers, on Chrome selecting "from beginning of time", but still it mostly fails, but sometimes will run perfectly, but I can't see a pattern, even shutting down and restarting after clearing the cache. I might get 25 failures, then the next one will load all remaining videos.

For example, let's say I've got a 75 video playlist that I'm looking at in a separate window on YouTube, I click the URL copy and paste it into the generator and sometimes it works, but usually doesn't (again, a month ago it Always worked).

If it fails, I delete everything after the 11 digit code and add that video manually, click the forward arrow on the YouTube window and get the next URL, the whole thing, because sometimes it will take off from there and add video #2 through 75. If that fails, delete all after the code and repeat. Sometimes I may add the first 25 manually and all of a sudden, #26 through #75 take off and add all at once, so there doesn't seem to be rhyme or reason to it. As far as I recall, I haven't made any changes to my machines, and both used to generate a multi-video playlist without problem until the past 3-4 weeks. It's puzzling.

I know this is wordy, but hopefully will describe what is happening well enough that it might hold a clue to the problem.

And now, when it does work, it only creates the first 26 videos out of perhaps 200, actually I'm not sure how many videos are in this playlist, at least 200.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKAa-vMiv0&list=RDAaKAa-vMiv0#t=1

Edited 06/21/16 2:56 AM
Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 4:48 AM - Response #30

Yup YouTube only gives 26 in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaKAa-vMiv0&list=RDAaKAa-vMiv0

I tested another list with over 200 and I got the limit of 200 that YouTube imposes.

I think there's something different with that particular list. Look at the index values that come up as you scroll down. They not only repeat but I couldn't get it to show over 52 even though there are way more than that.

Click down the list, you'll see what I mean.

It also doesn't list how many videos there are. For example this one says 1/500 at the top. The one with the issues shows nothing at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRh_vgS2dFE&list=PLDcnymzs18LVXfO_x0Ei0R24qDbVtyy66

So it's not a regular playlist. Type in "playlist" as the search item in YouTube to see various playlist that all have the 1/#ofvideos (assuming they are playlists, not all are).

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 5:02 AM - Response #31

As to sometimes working and sometimes not, pretty sure that's a network issue. Occasionally that happens to me too if my neighbors are streaming videos or ? but pretty rare. I coded to time out after (I think) 30 seconds.

Heck sometimes a page refuses to load (or only partially loads), there's no 'waiting' msg/image - browser thinks it's actually loaded - and I have to reload to get the page to appear. Usually pages load in less than 5 seconds, so I just reload after 10 seconds, knowing something is amiss.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 12:05 PM - Response #32

Yes, I noticed that that list only displayed 52 entries, everything below was grayed out until you clicked on the bottom one, then the next 52 would display. Very strange. Some lists used to display the entire list as far as I recall, at least the grayed out portion seems new to me.

The thing that get's me is that it used to work every time, then suddenly it didn't.

That's what made me wonder if YouTube might have changed something on their end. Seems like they are still trying to feel their way around being a music provider, how to monetize it, as well as getting around copyright issues. Continuous tweaking on their part that breaks something, accidentally or intentionally, wouldn't surprise me. That's what seems to have happened, but you know a lot more than I do in this area. Thanks again!

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 12:27 PM - Response #33

I don't think I know much more than you here.

I have noticed changes since I started this back in Nov 2015, mostly with width and how it changed the YT list browser section.

YT uses different servers for different areas to spread the load around. Could be affecting things too.

That playlist is very different though from prior playlists. As noted, the grayed thing is either new or I just never noticed.

If you look, the list of 26 retrieved is not the same order as shown on YT. Another odd thing telling me it's not a regular playlist. Could be some new option to combine lists?

If more of that type show up, will see if I can create/duplicate the same type of playlist.

Sort of a pain having to get them one at a time, that's for sure.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 1:18 PM - Response #34

I know what you mean. I'm pretty sure I would have noticed the grayed out portions also. I had noticed the order was different also. I'm not sure if I'm getting all of the ones on the list.

I spent one evening loading 78 by hand, well, by that I mean cutting just the first part, up to the 11 digit code, pasting that into the generator, then moving down the playlist in the separate window, then I'd generate the Player and copy that to notepad ++, clear the creator and add more, create again and copy only the playlist part of the output and paste that to the end of the Playlist on notepad ++, adding the final comma at the end of the first list and pasting the new code below.

What I ended up with, and I'm not sure how it happened since I thought I was being careful moving between song to song, was a list with one video duplicated 4 times and two duplicated 5 times. That would tend to indicate that either I was a lot sloppier than I thought or the playlist is doing something strange, sort of like the issue you noted of the videos not loading in the same order that they appear on the list.

There also seem to be a number of different formats for the playlists, some have the mentioned #t=10, while others don't. I even tried changing the value, replacing the 10 in this example with various numbers, 15, 28, 56, 190, 200, 290, 500 and every time Only got the first 26 in the list.

It used to be that as I moved through the playlist in a YouTube window, let's say I'd moved through 17 on the list, I could copy the URL at that point and paste it into the generator and I'd get That video and all the ones following.

I wonder if the difference in the playlist formats, could they possibly be referencing the original playlist's owner's list, rather than a listing of all the individual videos? Perhaps that accounts for the #t=10, to start at video 11 (assuming the first is video Zero), however when the whole list does load into generator, it starts at the first video, not number 11.

Sheesh, I hate the thought of having to learn how their playlists are formatted, but doing it by hand is probably worse.

I'll let you know if I discover anything, but at this point, I may just sit back a while.

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 6:19 PM - Response #35

OK, that is a playlist comprising songs from OTHER playlists. Could be there are 26 playlists and we are getting the first one from each list. Working on something else and I ran into a similar list that made it clear how it was made.

Edited 06/21/16 6:19 PM
Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 4:59 PM - Response #36

Most interesting, a playlist made from other playlists.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.