ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Can I Add right-column content panels?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 03/20/10 03:54 PM Views: 1338 Replies: 5
Saturday, March 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Is there a way that I can create content panels that would fit in the right column -- like the latest registrations, list of states, etc.

Maybe a weather panel? A slide show of missing classmate yearbook photos, etc.

It'd like to match the style and box, etc.

Or, maybe CC could add more panels based on what we requested -- like weather panel.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 1:05 PM - Response #1

Although we could easily add a "Build your own right module" feature, my concern there is there's a very small amount of space to work with in those boxes. We've gone to great lengths to ensure those boxes never become wider than the default size is, such as truncating really long Classmate names that might show up in any of those boxes, etc.

The problem with those boxes widening, which they will a lot of we built such a module, is that if 1 box widens there, ALL right module boxes widen there. That alone wouldn't be such a big deal, but when the boxes widen, the regular home page content area shrinks. And when that happens anything that used to fit correctly there now no longer does, such as any images and third party plugins you might be displaying.

Bottom line, we're probably better off adding any more modules people want. For instance, if you know of a weather widget that fits nicely into those boxes, let me know and we can easily add something like that to the system that you can turn on or off.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 2:22 PM - Response #2

http://www.showmyweather.com/ gave me a simple little weather box. It might work as a right-hand option.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM - Response #3

Excellent. Should fit nicely. Added to Task List, medium priority. That means it's coming, just not right away. Smile It will get implemented though as we work through the priority list.

Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 9:22 PM - Response #4

Brad Switzer wrote:

Excellent. Should fit nicely. Added to Task List, medium priority. That means it's coming, just not right away. Smile It will get implemented though as we work through the priority list.

I like the weather one; got one up in my announcements area already - but it would be nicer in the 'stack' on the right.

Some other widget ideas:
Map - click on it and it opens in a new window. You choose the address, city, state, country - for pinpointing the reunion location or the high school location

Countdown Clock - sized to fit the stack. Lots of sources on the internet; all have some sort of clickable link to site or ads.

Sticky Note - sized to fit the stack - "150 max character count" with text entered by admin control - ability to change color of push pin and 'sticky note' Maybe a 'slide-show' like effect with different messages that change every 10 seconds. Hovering mouse over message holds that one in place. Clickable link to something on the website. Sample use: "Thanks to Joe College for making a donation to the Class of 1961's 50th Reunion!"

Wanted! Player - sized to fit the stack - slideshow of missing classmates automatically pulls from the list of missing and the yearbook photos.

"iPod" Player - sized to fit the stack -- similar to the other playlist players out there, but more compact. Maybe with different 'skins' - 50's transistor radio, modern iPod.

Edited 03/21/10 9:25 PM
Sunday, March 21, 2010 at 10:09 PM - Response #5

Wow! Thanks. I've copied this to my own task list to explore as we have time. This is how you guys make Class Creator better, good stuff.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.