ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

History Videos display "Invalid Parameter"

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 07/18/11 07:51 PM Views: 1193 Replies: 6
Monday, July 18, 2011 at 7:51 PM

My 1971 History/Videos page has a column of 5 "Videos from 1971" that will not play.
Clicking on the "PLAY" icon in the center of the video display generates a momentary pause then "Invalid parameters" message.
I've checked this on several different computers, and have had it reported by several class members.

I have to think this is a set-up that I've missed somewhere.
Any help will be great.

Reid Andrews
Bountiful HS Bountiful, Utah 1971

Monday, July 18, 2011 at 9:00 PM - Response #1

It's not youVery Happy

All that is generated by the (weirdly worded) ThePeopleHistory.com

Here's another example of their "translated" English on that page

Quote:

The US table tennis team visits to the People's Republic of China (PRC) known as "Ping Pong Diplomacy"

or this

Quote:
We also saw the use of more and more of the transistor technology in use in things like hand held calculators..

Now who in the USA writes like thatQuestion

And worse are the numerous mistakes they make. There are better feeds you can use with a little work. I used The Library of CongressIdea

Edited 07/18/11 9:03 PM
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 12:38 AM - Response #2

So - is there any way to make the videos work? What did you use from the Library of Congress and how did you do it?

Scott Chaffin
Bountiful HS
Class of '71

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 2:44 AM - Response #3

They will fix it in a bit. ALL CC sites have exactly the same mistake right now.

We did this 2 different ways. One I can show you the other I haven't talked everyone into opening it up for everyone.

For the year of the class, we made our own list of "things that happened" in our year. Since that is fixed, once you create it, it's just a regular page (our is 4 pages) that you edit. You can include anything you like and expand or change it as you desire. No more funny spelling, wording or inaccuracies that are fairly obvious to mostWink

For "This Day", I used an "iframe" that then goes to the Library of Congress. There are also other feeds you can use for "This Day". You can see how that works on our site.

Google "iframe" and you'll see how to use it. Basically it takes the data from another web site and magically makes it appear in your website. Most (but not all) web sites can be used this way.

This is the code from our site (hope code works for this)

You probably have to use a width of 700 or so. I've modified our page widths.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 11:27 AM - Response #4

@Reid - I've fixed the 1971 videos. It appears that YouTube may have updated the way they distribute their embed codes as the new ones are much shorter. We will have to review all of the years at some point... I'll just have to start hitting them when things are slower.

@Jack - I like this Library of Congress option.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 1:12 PM - Response #5

Scott Mastenbrook wrote:

It appears that YouTube may have updated the way they distribute their embed codes as the new ones are much shorter.

There are TWO ways to embed youtube videos now. What you picked is the new default iframe version which was done about 6-7 months ago. There is no autostart with that.

There is also an old embed version that looks just like the prior embed code. Not sure about the start now.

What has happened is that they changed the actual URL info and some parameters. Most don't work, but for some reason, 1961 has one that works - the last one.

You are going to be busy for a whileShocked

P.S. I wonder if this is going to affect the other videos people have put on their websites? Ours are all the iframe variety since that also works for iPadsExclamation

Edited 07/19/11 1:13 PM
Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 5:52 PM - Response #6

Yes I'm going to be busy and I also believe this will affect all embed codes using the "old" code. It's like they thought I was getting bored here. Guess not. Smile

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.