ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Add music to background

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 02/15/09 09:03 AM Views: 7210 Replies: 32
Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I would like to add music (fight song) to the background of our website. I see how to add music from the playist, but it leaves the "player' on the visually on the page. (Our song is the same as Ohio State's song, but the coding from Playlist shows the song as Ohio State.)

Any ideas?

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:41 AM - Response #1

Three possibilities for you:

1) Use Playlist, and in your source code view set all 4 widths and all 4 heights to 0. Doing this will cause the Playlist to completely disappear from your page, yet still play the music.

2) Upload the song to Reverb Nation and use their player. This way you can name the song whatever you want while still giving your Classmates the ability to use the player controls.

3) Upload the song to your site by clicking the chain link icon, then the upload tab. After doing this you would need to embed the song on your page using standard object embed code, so it's a little harder to do it this way. Standard object embed code can be found in any free html tutorial. Just Google "html tutorial" and you'll find many examples of how to embed your own objects on your page. It's actually very easy to do, but those who don't like "fiddlin' around" with source code should probably stick to #1 or #2 above.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM - Response #2

I have an mp3 file on my desktop of my band 40 years ago doing a cover of a song. I would like to put it on my profile page for classmates to listen to. I don't follow your instructions of using the chain link icon and then the upload button to get the file to my site. Once it's on the site I'll figure out how to embed it I hope. Could you clear up the procedure of uploading it to my profile page, or any other page for that matter. I have created links on many of my pages but I don't know what you mean by the chain link icon!? Thanks, Jim

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 7:12 PM - Response #3

Personally I'd use the Reverb Nation player, as it's easier and includes a nifty player for controlling the music. But, if you want to upload that mp3 and embed it, here's the procedure in more detail:

1) Go into Edit mode for any page of your site that has the visual editor. Make sure you are using Firefox or Internet Explorer for this.

2) Click the chain link icon. It looks like a chain link with a little globe behind it.

3) On the resulting window, click the Upload tab.

4) Select your mp3 on your hard drive, and then click the "Send it to the server" button.

5) Note the resulting file path so you can embed it on your page using object embed code.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM - Response #4

By the way, see this page for an example of a site using their own custom music inside of the Reverb Nation player. It's one of the nicer, not to mention easier, ways of adding your own music to your site I've seen.

Edited 02/15/09 7:16 PM
Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 2:28 PM - Response #5

Hi Brad

any other places other than Reverb?

My file wasn't 44khz per second and is 10mb, which is larger than their 8 mb limit.

thanks

Don

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM - Response #6

I'd use any free MP3 converted to convert your song to MP3. And then use Reverb Nation. Type in "free mp3 converter" into Google and you should find several programs to convert your audio format for you.

Saturday, February 21, 2009 at 3:37 PM - Response #7

thanks Brad!

Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 8:47 AM - Response #8

Maybe I am missing something but don't you have to own the rights to a song to upload it to sites such as ReverbNation and Playlist.com?

Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 9:22 AM - Response #9

I use paylist.com and absolutely love it! I can go to the site and add or delete songs from one of my playlists and after saving it, it will automatically make the changes to my website. The quality and sound of the music is so much better than the background music on the slideshows that I use so I have a playlist of songs on each page in my website and I name the playlist the same as the page and have had a great response from my classmates. They are even adding their own playlist to their profile pages!

Good luck!
Dawn Very Happy

Edited 05/09/09 9:22 AM
Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM - Response #10

Mickey Cassell wrote:

Maybe I am missing something but don't you have to own the rights to a song to upload it to sites such as ReverbNation and Playlist.com?

Playlist.com claims to have the right to distrube the music, and recently entered into partnership with Sony BMG. Having said that though, whenever embedding any third party content you'll want to check with those sources directly to ensure their legality.

Regarding uploading your own mp3s to Reverb Nation, yes, I would make sure you own or have the right to distribute the music before doing this.

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 5:50 PM - Response #11

Brad,

One of us is missing something and it's probably me but I see no way for anyone except artists to upload mp3 files to ReverbNation and get them on my website site.

My frustration comes from being able to do exactly what I want embedding mp3 files into my website and working exactly as I want in Firefox but they don't work in Internet Explore. I wish that IE would explode. That's a personal opinion.

Thanks for your help. This is a wonderful resource for my classmates.

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 9:12 PM - Response #12

What page on your site has an embedded mp3?

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 9:32 PM - Response #13

In Memory/2006/Donnie Markland.

Thanks

Monday, May 11, 2009 at 10:01 PM - Response #14

Well that's incredibly annoying. I haven't played around much with the Google audio player before now, but I couldn't get it working in Internet Explorer either. Works great in Firefox like you mentioned though.

Do you want to try the Yahoo player? Check this out.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM - Response #15

Thanks, Brad. I found a couple of references to the same problem. Here's one but I still couldn't get it to work. http://www.longtailvideo.com/support/forum/Setup-Problems/14288/Player-won-t-work-in-IE

Thanks for you help.

Mickey

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM - Response #16

Did you want to try that Yahoo player? I've never seen anyone here use either player actually, I'm just wondering if the Yahoo player happens to work in both browsers.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 4:08 PM - Response #17

Brad,

I did try the Yahoo player. I pasted the code from the website that you suggested. I get the player skin but clicking on play button brings up a voice message that the "Request cannot be processed". I am bit (well, more than a bit) challenged with programming and I don't understand the note below that is from the website for adding this player.

Though this Easy Listener MP3 player requires you to pass the address of the web page that contains the MP3 file(s), you can directly pass the MP3 link and it will work just fine. Supports auto play and you can decide where the meta data associated with the MP3 file should be displayed.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 6:58 PM - Response #18

I'm still seeing the Google player on there. Can you upload the mp3 to your next response here?

Tuesday, May 12, 2009 at 9:25 PM - Response #19

I left the Google player on my website because those classmates (few as they may be) who can use Firefox can use the player. I will change to the Yahoo player so that you can see what I see. How would I upload the mp3 here?

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:02 AM - Response #20

When you're responding here, just add a file to the "Attach File" box that you see below the box you're typing in.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 12:08 PM - Response #21

Thanks, Brad. You have either cloned yourself or have a surrogate Brad. No one person can answer this many messages (~).

This is the mp3 file with which I am working.

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 at 11:30 PM - Response #22

Yes I can. Smile

Did you forget to attach the mp3?

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 1:41 PM - Response #23

Brad,

I am not sure how much time this topic deserves other than to let users know that the Google mp3 player works fine in Firefox but will not work with Internet Explorer, at least with IE version 8 (though there are indications that it may work with older version of IE). There are numerous threads to this on the web. One solution (see below) has been suggested by several people. This probably won't work for us because the uploader won't accept a file without the .mp3 extension.

Also, as a followup to my previous question, I don't seem to be able to attach an mp3 files to these messages.

As always, thanks for you diligent efforts.

Mickey

1. Delete the file suffix (.mp3) from the file you're trying to play and change the source URL to the new file name without the suffix. This will stop IE from trying to download the file and allow google player to play it. It will produce a security warning on newer versions of IE, but this security warning can be ignored and the file will still play.
2. The Google Player requires mp3s that are coded at 44.1kHz - no more or less or the file will play at the wrong speed.
3. The player will look funny in either IE or FireFox unless you change height: 25px; border: 1px to height: 30px; border: 0px

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 7:50 PM - Response #24

Why can't you attach the mp3 file here? What's happening when you try? Try emailing it to brad@classcreator.com. I wanted to play around with it for a bit and see if I could get it working, but I can't without the file. Smile

Saturday, May 16, 2009 at 7:50 PM - Response #25

Why can't you attach the mp3 file here? What's happening when you try? Try emailing it to brad@classcreator.com. I wanted to play around with it for a bit and see if I could get it working, but I can't without the file. Smile

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM - Response #26

Interesting... I can make it work in a variety of ways locally, but that doesn't help you or anybody else who wouldn't have the same tools I have here (like Adobe Flash, where I can just embed the file). Every player seems to have some type of complication or another in at least 1 browser.

Can you remind me again why you're not using the Reverb Nation player? I know that works in all browsers and I've seen dozens of people successfully using it.

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 9:51 PM - Response #27

Brad,

Here is your response from a couple of weeks ago about uploading mp3 files to ReverbNation. I don't know how to upload mp3 files to ReverNation without being an artist.

RE: Uploading Songs
Posted Saturday, May 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Mickey Cassell wrote:

Playlist.com claims to have the right to distrube the music, and recently entered into partnership with Sony BMG. Having said that though, whenever embedding any third party content you'll want to check with those sources directly to ensure their legality.

Regarding uploading your own mp3s to Reverb Nation, yes, I would make sure you own or have the right to distribute the music before doing this.

Monday, May 18, 2009 at 11:49 PM - Response #28

Ok, but that would go for distributing the music with any player, not just Reverb Nation. I.E. if you're going to distribute the music in any fashion, there would be no difference between that and distributing it using the Reverb Nation player. Either way, it's you distributing music via your web site.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM - Response #29

Brad,

You and I have confirmed that the Google mp3 player works well in Firefox but won't work in Microsoft Explorer. A search of the web confirms that others have the same problem. A work-around exits. Here is one site that explains it. www.thinkinginwordpress.com/2009/04/using-google-mp3-player-to-play-music-on-your-blogsite/

Basically, IE doesn't like the .mp3 extension, so renaming the music file without the .mp3 extension (and changing corresponding URL in the source code) fakes IE into playing the music. For example, Mysong.mp3 is renamed to Mysong.

Here a catch. The Classcreator uploader won't allow files without an extension. I renamed my mp3 file to be a doc file (i.e., DONNIE2.mp3 was renamed to DONNIE2.doc). I uploaded the renamed file and changed the URL in the source code to DONNIE2.doc.

It works fine in both Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Thanks for you patience in working with me on this.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009 at 5:51 PM - Response #30

Isn't that something! Interesting. Thanks for sharing this workaround.

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 12:04 PM - Response #31

Question about adding an mp3 as background music. On my other websites, I can insert line of script :

and it will automatically start up and play constantly on the associated page. But that requires me to ftp the songfile to my directory on the server.
Is there a way for me to do that on classcreators server - in the directory for my HS?

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM - Response #32

FTP of course is just a way of getting a file from your local computer to the server. The File Vault feature on your site does the same thing. Just upload your .mid file to File Vault.

1) Click the chain link icon while editing anypage
2) Upload your .mid file
3) Embed .mid file on your page

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.