ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Create Mailing Labels in WORD 2007

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 11/06/12 10:56 PM Views: 1378 Replies: 5
Tuesday, November 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Someone had asked for a step-by-step guide to making mailing labels. I just finished and recorded the steps that worked for me.

Create Mailing Labels in WORD 2007 from Excel doc
1.In Admin Functions click on “Manage Classmates”
2.Find the box “Download Class List”
a.Click on “Check All Member Types”
b.Leave the ? for number of Classmates ( )
c.Put ? in the boxes “Name” and “Mailing Address” and click on “Separate Columns.” Uncheck everything else.
d.Format: “Excel”
e.Sort By: “Last Name”
f.Click on “Download Class List”
3.Open the document and inspect it to make sure you have information for each name. (You may get the message: “The file you are trying to open, ‘Classmates.xls’, is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?” – Click “Yes”)
4.Click “Save As” and browse to the location you want to save the file on your computer, and give it a name. I saved as an Excel Workbook.xlsx file extension (change that in the “Save as type” dialog box – click on the down arrow and select Excel Workbook.(*xlsx). Close the open Excel file.
5.Start a new WORD blank document. In the Menu, c
a.Click: “Mailings” - “Start Mail Merge”
b.Click: “Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard” – this will open a Mail Merge wizard on the right side of your screen.
c.Click: “Labels”
d.Click: “Next: Starting document”
e.Click: “Change document layout” – then “Label options.” This will open a dialog box where you can select the brand/size/layout for your labels.
f.Click: “Next: Select recipients”
g.Click: “Use an existing list” (this will be your Excel file) Now click: “Browse” and go to the location on your computer where you saved the Excel file. Make sure you have the right file when it opens up. Click “Ok.” The page of labels will populate with in all the boxes except the first one.
h.Click: “Next: Arrange your labels.”
i.Put your cursor in the first label box and click: “Address Block” in the wizard – see if you like how the address block is composed in the sample. If not, use the dialog box and “Match Fields” to fix it.
j.Click: “Update all labels” – this copies the format to the other label boxes, and the labels now say .
k.Click: “Next: Preview your labels”
l.Click: “Next: Complete the merge” – You could now print your labels, but I’d suggest you click on “Edit individual labels” and Merge All.
m.All the pages of labels should be displayed now in a new document.
n.Preview labels. You may need to change the spacing to make the address fit the label (adjust spacing in Paragraph menu) or if the font needs to be smaller for the address to fit, use control/all to select all and change the font size. Save the labels to your computer.
6.Print labels. (You might want to do a test print with 1 page of labels first to make sure everything is correct.) If you get an error message that the margins are outside the printable area, do not fix – just go ahead and print. If you want to make the labels stand out more, put them in bold (Control/A to select all – control/B to make bold)
7.Close the wizard.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:44 AM - Response #1

You may need to assure other Word users that this method will work with other 2000 to 2013 products. I am unsure of earlier versions but I would guess that late 1990 products can be used.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM - Response #2

Thank you for sharing this methodology, Beverly and Dennis. While I didn't ask about it, I was wondering how to do it. So it is very helpful.

Edited 11/07/12 12:23 PM
Wednesday, November 7, 2012 at 10:46 PM - Response #3

Papa - I don't have other programs, so I'm not much help there. Let's invite others using different programs to let us know if this works for them, and to post their tips for creating labels. I spent a very long time figuring it out - even though I searched it on the Internet first. A lot of things I tried just didn't work like they said it should.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014 at 9:50 PM - Response #4

Another way is in this forum
http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?messageid=F727B72D-1422-725F-3CCD895BFEE15819

Edited 01/21/14 9:51 PM
Friday, January 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM - Response #5

This process doesn't work with Office 2010. Mail merge will not import records from anything but access or outlook properly. Rolling Eyes

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.