ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

A FREE Database

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/04/18 03:03 PM Views: 1865 Replies: 9
Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 3:03 PM

There have been some requests/questions about access to a database in Class Creator. There is a free cloud-based relational database named Airtable (www.airtable.com) that provides the capability to embed forms, tables, calendars, etc. in a CC page. It is simple to set up and use and provides a decent method of using real-time data on your web site. Only restriction is a maximum of 1,200 records per database (for the free version) with an unlimited number of databases supported. Other solutions like Caspio are available but get costly very fast.
Link to sample

This is how Tesla uses Airtable

Edited 03/04/18 8:00 PM
Monday, March 5, 2018 at 3:16 AM - Response #1

I use Airtable for a project. Thanks for mentioning this and sharing the links. I look forward to Scott or Jessica's reply.

Wednesday, March 7, 2018 at 3:51 PM - Response #2

Phil,

I have not had a chance to try this, but it looks promising, thanks for sharing!

I assume that we can download CC information and load it into the software, but is it possible to link it interactively so that when a classmate updates their information, that is automatically entered into airtable or is it a manual update only?

Edited 03/07/18 4:16 PM
Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 11:04 AM - Response #3

Phil - have you embedded any of these in your site?

Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 12:09 PM - Response #4

Scott, none embedded yet. Tested all of the features quite extensively and they seem to work fine. We have a reunion coming up in September and will be using 3-4 of the database features. They are easier to use than HTML tables and by using views it is easy to filter data sets. Best suited for display of data rather than data manipulation.

Edited 03/08/18 12:54 PM
Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 12:24 PM - Response #5

Gary, setting up web forms that would be embedded in CC pages is easy; however, the forms only allow records to be added to the database - no data modifications or deletion. The free version provides one account with permissions to do everything. That person (typically the administrator) would do most of the work in setting up data tables, building views, modifying data and other database stuff.

Edited 03/08/18 12:32 PM
Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 2:12 PM - Response #6

Interesting. This is the first I had heard of that service. Looks like it could be useful.

Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 2:38 PM - Response #7

Here is a link to a number of Airtable applications Your text to link here...

Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 3:16 AM - Response #8

Phil, thanks again for the information!

Thursday, April 5, 2018 at 9:29 AM - Response #9

Thanks for the info. It give me a direction to try.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.