ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Emails to Classmates

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 12/27/08 10:57 AM Views: 2152 Replies: 7
Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 10:57 AM

Can you tell me approximately how long it should take for the emails to classmates to be delivered? I sent out an email last night and I still haven't received it in my inbox.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 11:00 AM - Response #1

Mine have gone through practically immediately. I think something went wrong with your message

Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 11:49 AM - Response #2

In most cases email goes out virtually instantly. Sometimes there can be a little backup on the mailserver if a whole bunch of people send class emails and other things all at the same time. But nothing that would cause a delay for many hours like you're describing though. Check with a few Classmates and see if they got the email. My guess is they did.

Now we'll need to figure out why you didn't get the email. First, have you whitelisted postmaster@classcreator.net? Did you check your spam or junk email folder in case the message went there? Have you received messages from postmaster@classcreator.net in the past? Finally, go to your own home page and in the Missing Classmates box enter your own email address, thus sending yourself an invitation to join your own web site. This message will come from postmaster@classcreator.net. Please tell me if you got it or not. If not, we can take various steps to determine why you're not receiving the email until we find the problem.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 10:31 AM - Response #3

I just want to relate our very recent experience on this issue. We were finally able to launch our site with an initial class email but it took some time. I am a site administrator but not the root administrator. We probably have 310 email addresses (some old) of classmates in a total class of around 700. The first time I tried to send a message nothing happened after receiving the "message sent" message. I checked in with Brad who told me to ensure that there was no whitelisting problem. That checked out fine. I tried again after Xmas to no avail. I then had the root administrator send the message and it was delivered after an approximately 6 hour delay. Maybe heavy internet traffic. I am now getting all the classmate notifications and it is incredibly gratifying. I note, however, that the link to the classmate profile on the notification comes up blank when clicked. One other possibly related bug involves the profile updater subscription feature which also comes up blank or sends us back to our own profile. I will post on that separately in the bugs forum later today.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 11:59 AM - Response #4

Unfortunately on your site those things are never going to work, because you have your domain name registered with somebody other than Classnames.net and you're then forwarding your domain name to your longer Class Creator system address. If you do that, which is perfectly fine, there will be things in the system that simply don't work. Such as the emails you're describing. If you want those things to work you need to transfer your domain name to Classnames.net. Whether you do that or not is entirely your call, I'm just letting you know why those things aren't working for you. Currently Classnames.net is the only registrar taht is 100% compatibile with your Class Creator web site. Although shortly after the New Year we're going to be working on some changes to allow other registrars to be fully compatible with the system. Once we've done that you'll still have to change from forwarding like you're doing to pointing to the direct IP instead though, or else it still won't work.

Any Administrator should be able to send a class wide email and have it come from themselves. We were incorporating some email changes into the Preferences area right around the time you indicated you sent your email. All I can imagine is maybe you sent it at the exact wrong time while we were changing a file or something like that. Are you sure nobody in the class got the email? If you send a class wide email there's no reason it should be going out, so please let me know if you see anything like this again.

Edited 12/28/08 12:02 PM
Sunday, December 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM - Response #5

Thanks Brad. We are looking into the possibility of transferring the domain name. Have a Happy New Year. Really appreciate your support!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM - Response #6

I changed my preferences to show that any emails from our site came from "The Reunion Committee" and at first it worked - now when I email the class, it comes from my name. I checked the preference menu and it still says "Reunion Commitee" so what did I do wrong? I don't want the committee to think I'm taking credit and not giving them any!

Wednesday, January 7, 2009 at 4:38 PM - Response #7

Your "Email The Class" function will always send the email from the sending Administrator's name. It will also use the Sending Administrator's email address as the "reply to" address unless you check the little checkbox on your Preferences page that says:

"Check this box if you would like emails sent using the "Email The Class" feature to come from the Site Email Address above instead of the Sending Administrator's email address (class wide emails sent using the "Email The Class" feature automatically come from the sending Administrator's email address unless you check this box)."

The Reunion Committee name that you entered in Preferences is used for auto generated emails by the system. Your Email The Class function is not considered an auto generated email, but rather a manual email that you or other Administrator's initiate at your leisure.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.