ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

mailing

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/10/13 12:21 PM Views: 923 Replies: 7
Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I am trying to download our list to update our database but because we are big I have to do each year separate. Is there a way to do more than one? Otherwise, I have 85 years to do.
Thanks

Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM - Response #1

It is on the list of things that need to be fixed. It used to work, but because it took the system down whenever it was done, a limit was put on the download class list feature. The database queries need to be reworked so that allowing these for large websites will not slow the system so much. The database queries cannot we rewritten soon because of higher priority features that were promised that have to be worked on. We are aware that it used to work, but it had to be disabled until it is reworked.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 7:37 PM - Response #2

Ray, it took me the better part of a day to download all our classes & merge them back together. I asked for a way to get them all but restrict it to a small selection of fields, to keep the size down. Or just those who have joined. Guess there aren't enough of us big-time users to move it up on the list!

I tried keeping up with the updates as they came in but after the 1/1 email I gave up; too many. Also asked them to let us sort the edit class list by update date - that would give you who changed since your last look.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM - Response #3

Mary,
We are in the process of using Harris Publishing to make a directory. Do you know who they are? If not can tell you -or anyone- what they do for us. Anyway, we use Microsoft Access to store our database. How do you "keep up with updates" do you use a different database too? I have to hire someone to start next week to update about 7,000 into our Access file. The reason I have to hire someone is it is way to much work for me to do plus I have a deadline and any volunteer would have to come to my site to do. It seems easier to hire someone.

The other thing I am doing is uploading the pictures. Are you or any of the big sites doing this? I did not mind doing a few but we have 85 years and like 60 left, Sheesh!

I know as soon as i get done Brad will this great announcement about "upload all pictures". This is if we ever get done. We just purchased a "book scanner" so that our local Historical Society can help us to scan all the year books. Another big project.

Anyone here let me know if you are working on big projects too.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:04 PM - Response #4

Ray, we did a Harris directory in 2005. It was full of errors and out-of-date before it went out. Apparently they filled in missing info with search data that wasn't even our alums and published many without permission, causing some of our reps to stop sharing with us. Never again!

I like working directly in grids or tables and use Excel for our Master db. I added the CC Member# to our data so I could match with the downloads, append those to the far edge, sort by most recent update and compare by eye, filter or formula for what's changed. We have a lot of info that CC doesn't accomodate - membership status, expiration & payments, family groups (spouse, siblings, progeny), class officers, awards, date we published deceased & obits, etc. Since we do mailings from it, I can't use CC addresses that classmates mess up or delete. We also have alternate addresses for dual residences.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM - Response #5

Mary,
Now I am a little nervous about using them again. This will be our 4 time using them. They really did create a database where one never existed before. I am actually glad you said this because I am going to have to keep an eye on the data we get back. We have 9,000 "Lost" grads and these are the ones I am really hoping they will update.

As for Excel it seems like everyone uses Excel for big db. I never spent any time on Excel I learned some Lotus and now that is useless. Lately I have been thinking that I should move to Excel because other people will then be able to use it. There are not many people around that can even use Access. I am just a little concerned that the spread sheet could get away from me real quick and then I would just have a mess.

Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 9:53 PM - Response #6

My personal experience, I don't think you can go wrong with Excel - for what it is worth. Smile

Thursday, January 10, 2013 at 10:14 PM - Response #7

Harris did our school and it's full of errors. It looks like they just filled in holes with anyone with that name. Close doesn't count when you are depending on accuracy. They did a bad job.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.