ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Links I Created in Profile to Message Forum Stories Not Working

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 01/28/10 01:55 PM Views: 1530 Replies: 6
Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 1:55 PM

I was helping a classmate add links on his profile page that would take someone viewing his page right to stories he had posted in the Forum.

The format I used is the exact same I used on my profile page. My links work but his do not.

When I click on the link (I took down the other stories links and left just one for now) I get this message box:
---------------------------
Error 404 - Page Not Found

We're sorry, but the web page or file you have requested could not be found on our server.

This may be a permanent condition.

If you click here and see a "Maintenance", the file was not found because we are performing system maintenance.

Otherwise, it is likely the web page or file you've requested is simply no longer available.
--------------------------

I can't see what is wrong with the html code for this link. Can you tell me if 1) The code is incorrect or 2) if you just can not create a link to a story in the forums?

Here is the specific code I used:

1) The Bear

Note: The idea was to list all of the stories (there's about 16 or so). I removed the others since they did not work.

Thanks,

Bruce

Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 2:10 PM - Response #1

Bruce Eskander (Administrator) wrote:

Q: did you manually type the HTML code in the quote into your message or do a copy 'n paste from the source for your page?

If it was copy 'n pasted, it's flawed. It should look like this:

The Bear

(I can't test to see if the URL is OK since I can't log onto your reunion site, so I looked at one of our User Forum topics to compare.)

Edited 01/28/10 2:10 PM
Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM - Response #2

I went to the message forum and opened the story then copied the link from the browser bar and pasted onto a word document.

I was trying to lay out all of the stories first.

I added the correct code and then copied from the word document and pasted onto the profile page.

That is how I have done it before without any problems. I don't really think you have to type out the whole code to get it to work, or is that what you are suggesting?

There has to be an alternative if that's the case. Sad

BTW - both of the links above work in the email of your above message.

Edited 01/28/10 2:20 PM
Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 2:28 PM - Response #3

I thought it was the quotes but you do use single quotes and you can cut and paste. The problem was the 1) at the beginning of the title. That must be a conflict to the HTML code. I got it working now.

Thanks Smile

Edited 01/28/10 2:40 PM
Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 2:50 PM - Response #4

I'm glad you got it to work. Besides the single quotes around the URL, the other errors I noted were

1) the ")" single parenthesis that should have been a ">" greater-than sign, just before the string The Bear

2) the terminator for href showed as "" instead of "".

The multitude of syntax problems is why I asked if you re-typed the line instead of copy-n-pasted it directly from the page Smile

Cheers! Allen.

Edited 01/28/10 2:51 PM
Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 3:08 PM - Response #5

Other errors I see are no space between
target="_blank" and href

Also the use of typographical (fancy) single quotes instead of the ' (straight up and down single quote)

Thursday, January 28, 2010 at 4:12 PM - Response #6

Yes I noticed that about the fancy quote. It doesn't seem you can get the straight up quote when you copy and paste from a word document. It has to be typed in directly or copied right into the page from the browser url.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.