ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Adding phone number hyphens (dash)

Forums: Suggestions and Feedback
Created on: 06/26/10 04:34 PM Views: 1644 Replies: 2
Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Would it be difficult to hard code in the dashes/hyphens so that when someone enters their phone number it jumps to the next spot. This would allow a standard format. Most on-line forms and websites use this feature.

Also, when we download to spreadsheets, we get all sorts of formats with ( ), or nothing (all run together) or periods or /. This causes all kinds of re-typing frustrations and extra work. You can't easily reformat when you have so many different variables.

Plus, in the future you may want to have a standard so someone could actually auto-dial classmates from the website. This feature could be very beneficial to class reps for reunion calling. It may be beneficial on other website modules you create that are not these high school formats.

An extra international prefix box could be added for the non standard prefixes which may vary in length.

But, I'd just love to have that hyphen hard coded in there if possible.

Edited 06/26/10 4:36 PM
Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM - Response #1

I'm putting this on the list for the next time we're working on Classmate Profiles. Thanks Bruce!

Monday, June 28, 2010 at 4:11 PM - Response #2

Oops, I stand corrected. Sent this to Programming, but it turns out we initially had three input boxes for a phone number when the system began. We quickly had to change that due to the format being too limited for international Classmates. Even if we only enforced the format for U.S. people, some have non-standard numbers or extensions they've wanted to include. In fact many of them have done this so there would be no way to force this format onto the current data.

I will ask the Programming about standardizing the output though.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.