ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Building profiles for off-line members?

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/26/10 02:43 PM Views: 1594 Replies: 12
Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 2:43 PM

We're starting a project of calling class members for whom we have contact information and know they do not have an email address.

We're interviewing them using the questions in our profile and will be posting that with the members' permission.

Obviously, other online members won't be able to email these offline members -- can we simply leave the email address field in their Details blank?

Or do we need to put something there such as "Member does not have eMail"?

Will the lack of email addresses affect our list in any other way?

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM - Response #1

I see I've run into a problem already. How can I "register" these members - get them 'logged in' so others can view their profile?

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 7:34 PM - Response #2

You don't want to "Register" them. You can just say in the Edit Site Pages, Edit Classmate Profile page, there are some choices at the top

Do not show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to Classmate joining the site.
   Show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to Classmate joining the site.

If you choose the TOP choice "Do Not...." then nothing on the profile will show up.
If you choose the BOTTOM choice "Show Admin-entered..." then the profile items you type in will show up until the classmate joins. You don't need to enter an e-mail address or password.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 8:23 PM - Response #3

If the site administrator fills in the profile information for a classmate and checks the second box , will the classmate still be able to join the site later....? I was under the impression that if the info was filled in by the administrator that the classmate in question would not be able to join the site at a later time..... am I wrong?

We included a questionaire in the reunion letter we sent out by mail to be sent back if classmates did not have an email address....however,if we complete their profile we are concerned as we do not want to prevent them from accessing the site later and joining if they are able to from another computer......

what do you suggest?

Edited 06/26/10 8:25 PM
Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 9:02 PM - Response #4

They can register later. We have prefilled information on classmates who have not registered yet and when they register they have the ability to change it

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM - Response #5

Correct, just because you selected the second radio button, opting to display Admin-entered info for Classmates who have not yet joined, that doesn't stop the Classmate from coming to the site and joining.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 9:56 PM - Response #6

Thanks, Kyle... I've seen that option many times, but must have not been remembering it when I got started on creating profiles for class members.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 10:34 PM - Response #7

Correct, just because you selected the second radio button, opting to display Admin-entered info for Classmates who have not yet joined, that doesn't stop the Classmate from coming to the site and joining.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 12:28 AM - Response #8

OK, What am I doing wrong? I selected item 2, "Show Admin-entered Classmate Profile details prior to Classmate joining the site." Then I entered his address and phone number through the "Manage Classmates" section.

Yet when I select this classmate from the "Classmate Profiles" there is nothing but the same "If you are xxxx, click here" There is no profile info.

I even checked "allow classmates to see my address and phone number" on the profile info.Confused

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 12:33 AM - Response #9

Address and Phone Number are not PROFILE items, they are DETAILS item. Most people don't want this information displayed to the public without their permission.

You need to enter PROFILE information only.

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM - Response #10

In relation to this ~ what is the code I saw mentioned in an earlier forum message (that I could not seem to find) to enter in the email address to keep from getting bounce backs when sending emails??? THX, Abe

Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 1:34 AM - Response #11

You may be referring to entering "notmissing" in the email address field, which tells the system to exclude somebody from the Missing Classmates automated list even though the individual meets whatever Missing Classmate criteria you have selected.

Edited 06/27/10 3:55 AM
Sunday, June 27, 2010 at 2:44 AM - Response #12

Yes sir ~ Thx

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.