ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Falling Snow

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 12/09/13 12:00 PM Views: 1455 Replies: 20
Monday, December 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM

I was hoping to find some guidance on applying falling snow to my class site, but there's not much. Is there a quick tutorial someone can point me to? I used to do falling snow several years ago but I've lost the instructions.

Monday, December 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM - Response #1

Actually I followed Kyle's directions from last year and it worked... I now have falling snow!

Monday, December 9, 2013 at 2:10 PM - Response #2

Notice that the snow no longer shows in the left and that the snow stops after the first page bottomWink

Edited 12/09/13 2:11 PM
Monday, December 9, 2013 at 2:43 PM - Response #3

How did you do the falling snow? Can you pass along the directions?
Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Monday, December 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM - Response #4

Would love those instructions also

Monday, December 9, 2013 at 3:07 PM - Response #5

Go to Share Tips at the top of this page, then in the search area, type, Falling Snow, you will find the instructions on how to do this..

I put it in an announcement, that way I can activate the snow each winter and I don't have to put in the code each year.. Hope this works for you..

The snow only falls on my announcement page, not on my Home Page.. My system pw word is hotdog1960 if you want to see my page, also have a Christmas page.

Monday, December 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM - Response #6

Lynda, I was very impressed with your Website Homepage, good job!!! I love the song playing!!

I did finally figure out the snow thing with some help, great idea to put it on an announcement!

Again, excellent job!!

Monday, December 9, 2013 at 7:56 PM - Response #7

I just activated my falling snow and, as Jack said, it doesn't fall on the left side. It also continues falling after the end of the page which somehow has extended a foot or more past the end of the page content. ???????????

And it doesn't repeat . . . just stops until the page is refreshed.

I clicked on Betsy's site (Miami) and see the same problem - no snow on the left and the page extends way past the end of the home page content.

Edited 12/09/13 8:01 PM
Wednesday, December 11, 2013 at 9:44 AM - Response #8

I updated the JavaScript found in the original forum post with code that will work better in the new layout.

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages....25F-3CB1ABA20B437205

Thursday, December 12, 2013 at 12:18 AM - Response #9
snowcode-nographic.txt

I used part of the code Kyle modified and combined with snow code that does not use a graphic (allows for variable size and color flakes).

Edit: Modified for centered designs so it does full screen, left and right. Removed just center option to keep it simpler.

LINK to demo

Edited 12/15/13 11:00 PM
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 12:24 PM - Response #10

Thanks, Jack. It works but does not look good on the newspaper design. So TAP will not have it but my other sites... I'm heading over to add it! Smile

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM - Response #11

The key is changing the color and the flake size to match/contrast with the background. Those are both variable (along with speed and timing). There are now 3 colors, but you could only have 1 or 10.

If one knows html color codes, easy to do.Idea

Comments in the code show where to do this.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 1:02 PM - Response #12

Though I realize snowflakes are made of multiple colors, yet colored flakes? If anyone tries this, please share here as I would love to see it! Smile

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 1:21 PM - Response #13

The demo link above has 3 colors (per sample code). If you look carefully you can tell the colors are not all the same.

You can also keep the flakes to the "content" vs the whole page. I like the whole page better.

(Flakes are 3 shades of gray, 4 fonts and a dynamic variable size.)

Edited 12/15/13 1:24 PM
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 2:27 PM - Response #14

Betsy and everyone,

As Lynda pointed out, there are many threads available here in the forums by searching "snow". I tried Jack's and like it due to the different size snow flakes, the speed and the fact there are not so many you can't read the page. Smile Yet it is not snowing over on the left of the page. Jack?

Feel free to take a look at this on two of the sites I built and maintain: www.theadminsplace.com AND www.mchenryalumni.com.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM - Response #15

Wait... is it because I put the code in an announcement, Jack?

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 2:41 PM - Response #16

Don't know Gwen. I can't see the snow on either of those, so must be for logged in only. My site is left justified, but maybe I can build a local test and see what happens. Try putting it on the home page for everyone. I'll see after the Seahawks game if it matters.

As far as I know, there are only 2 snow scripts that work correctly for CC since the new CSS formats, Kyle's and mine. I used Kyle's mods to make it work - thanks Kyle for making the mods and learning something new too.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:13 PM - Response #17

I saw that as well, Jack. Please try it again and then head on over to PAGE ALIGNMENT: LEFT OR CENTER under "Questions and Answers About Building Your Site". I started a discussion over there on a topic I've been thinking about. Thanks!

Edited 12/15/13 3:18 PM
Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 3:35 PM - Response #18

Touchdown. Oh wait, snow. I see the problem. 0 x offset is the left side of the content,not the page. Need to figure out how to get the offset value.

There's a bit over a quarter to go in the game.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 7:24 PM - Response #19

With the screen zoomed, there are a few issues to resolve. The standards have fallen behind reality here.

Sunday, December 15, 2013 at 11:03 PM - Response #20

OK, modified for designs that are centered. See above post with new code.

If a page magnification is changed while "snowing", only a reload adjusts for that to keep overhead down.

Snow gets a bit "thin" for large screensWink

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.