ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Loading videos to the sight.

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/22/11 10:18 AM Views: 2448 Replies: 16
Monday, August 22, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I have placed several videos on the site using a program called Smilebox. It works pretty well, however, would like a program similiar to that with more options.....any ideas. I like it because it gives me the embed code and I'm not really literate in that aspect. What other programs allow entering a video to the site?

Monday, August 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM - Response #1

I don't know what options you are looking for, but YouTube is the #1 site for videos. And it gives you embed code that also works for iPads, iPhones, and iPods.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 1:34 PM - Response #2

I put together a short 4 minute "In Memory" tribute for our 45th reunion to the sixteen classmates who have passed away. I made it in iMovie and have burned it to a DVD to show at the reunion. I would like to be able to post a link to this from our website but the music I have used, "In My Life" by the Beatles, is apparently an issue. I posted it to Youtube so my committee could view it and even though I purchased the music and it is not for sale or even public use it says I am in violation of copyright laws or whatever. Sad Is there any other way I can post this video to the website so our other classmates can view it?

Thanks!
Janie

Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 2:56 PM - Response #3

Janie,

There are a few issues in your post that should be addressed. First, because of the content of your video, you will want to place it on a password-protected page of your site, so that ONLY registered classmates can view your video.

Second, unless you have purchased a "Public Performance License" for the music you've used to accompany your video, sites which allow PUBLIC ACCESS to that video will be required to remove it if the owner of the copyright so requests (and even that depends on the scope of the license). Even sites which display the video to only a small group of persons who must register to view it are responsible for insuring that the on-site use of copyrighted material complies with the terms under which it is licensed.

Assuming you have acquired the proper rights, the process to get a video from your computer onto your site is a bit involved. If you'd like to proceed, we can help, but it may involve some trial and error testing to make sure it works properly in all the browsers your classmates might be using.

Thursday, August 25, 2011 at 4:02 PM - Response #4

Putting it on a password protected page isn't a problem. I don't want anyone but members of the class to view it. Obviously I cannot obtain rights to this music.

Here is the link. Maybe you can view and tell me what I need to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhRvpHPVHwg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM - Response #5

Since youTube will police their content for any copyright violations, your only option is to upload the .mpg file into the file vault (or find another hosting option other than youTube) and then get code for a video player to place on a password protected page of your site. Then you can add the code to play the video within the player code. That will need to source the location of where you host the video file. You can do a google search for video player code and you will find plenty of results. You can upload the file to the file vault through the Insert / Edit Link button, and then hit the File Vault button. Once you upload the video, click on the video in the file vault and a button will appear that says Insert. This will place the path to source your video in the editor window. You will copy that path and paste it into the code for the player. Usually they will tell you to insert your path to your video by writing something like: yourVideoHere.mpg .. in the code.

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 3:31 PM - Response #6

Oh my! That appears incredibly technical! My brain just shuts down when I start to read all the steps as I have no idea what any of it means. Next week after the reunion is over and I have some time I will try to go through it and see if I can work on it. What would happen if I made another copy with other music? I have a just instrumental version that says Sony. Is this also likely to be a YouTube problem? Is there a place to find non-copyrighted music?

Thanks,
Janie

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM - Response #7

I do not know off the top of my head, but I'm sure a google search for royalty free music will give you the search results you need. I know my details above seem quite technical, but until we have a video upload module for the sites, unfortunately, this is the process.

Monday, September 24, 2012 at 12:15 PM - Response #8

Scott,

Is there a plan to create a video upload module?

Thanks.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 11:39 AM - Response #9

There is currently no plan because there is no standard way of displaying video on a web page yet. No matter what approach we might take to it, you the users would still be required to convert the video file to one of a few specified formats, and the range of tools for that are just too complex for most users. This will have to wait either for web standards to evolve a bit further or for us to have a pool of money sitting around waiting to be dedicated to this feature. Possibly both.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM - Response #10

Eric,
Thanks for replying. On a somewhat related note, is it possible for us (site admins) to enter code into the head section of a page? I was investigating methods to put a html video player on a CC page and the video.js site says for older versions of IE to interpret HTML5 tags, certain code needs to be in the head section.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 3:45 PM - Response #11

No, there is no way for you to put something in the HTML HEAD section of the page.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM - Response #12

THat's what I thought. Do you know if the CC code already has what's called an HTML5 shiv (or shim)?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 4:52 PM - Response #13

That is a particular javascript code library which I do not believe we are currently using.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 at 5:14 PM - Response #14

OK. Thanks.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 8:51 PM - Response #15

Hi,
Is there now a way to upload personal videos to the our website?
IF so, how do I do it.

This is a slideshow of those classmates who have passed on, and does have soundtrack.

Thank you,
Bob

Eric B Bassey wrote:

There is currently no plan because there is no standard way of displaying video on a web page yet. No matter what approach we might take to it, you the users would still be required to convert the video file to one of a few specified formats, and the range of tools for that are just too complex for most users. This will have to wait either for web standards to evolve a bit further or for us to have a pool of money sitting around waiting to be dedicated to this feature. Possibly both.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 at 11:49 PM - Response #16

Easiest way is to use Youtube. Make the video unlisted. Read THIS LINK Then PW your page. That makes it pretty unlikely in the event there is some music issue.

Besides that videos take an enormous amount of file vault space. Why bother when you get get it hosted for FREE on Youtube. It's pretty easy uploading and putting code on your webpage.

Youtube is a tremendous resource for music. Will post more describing a project I've developed to replace Grooveshark (which also uses Youtube as a resource).

P.S. There is now a standard way of displaying videos on a web page - HTML5 video and HTML5 audio. Youtube uses HTML5 where it can Idea Which is most new browsers/devices.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.