ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Open pdf link on profile page in new window/tab

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/17/12 10:47 PM Views: 1144 Replies: 7
Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM

I know how to place a pdf in the File Vault and open it in a new window.

What I want to do is open in a new window a pdf link that's on a profile page. The pdf is stored on my personal web storage and not in the File Vault.

It opens fine but I want it to open in a new window/tab so the visitor doesn't leave the high school website.

Is there anyway to do this?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 11:07 PM - Response #1

Yes, but you will need to do some HTML around your PDF file name. If you use the PDF as the HREF= of the anchor tag and use TARGET='_blank' as one of the attributes of the anchor tag, it will open up in a new window.

If you aren't familiar with the words, you could look up an HTML tutorial to learn a little more about what I am talking about.

All of the Profile comment fields accept HTML, so if you enter the HTML codes, it will just show your link and not the HTML tags that you put in your comment.

Let me know if you still need ore help

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 at 11:17 PM - Response #2

Whoa, Kyle, I have no idea what you're talking about. I've looked at those html tutorials before, but it's all Greek to me. I'll try to Google to find the answer in layman's terms. Thanks anyway for your prompt reply.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 8:52 AM - Response #3

when I clicked on your PDF link in your profile, it automatically opened up in a new window.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM - Response #4

How come it doesn't open in new window for me?

I have a few websites and they all open in a new window because with the software I use I can select that option for links like I can using CC file vault.

But, when I click this test pdf that you found (thank you very much) on my website, no new tab or window. Yes, I have Firefox set to open new tab/window.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 1:22 PM - Response #5

I edited the link you posted in your profile so now it will open in a new window.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM - Response #6

Thanks so much, Eric. I really appreciate y'all taking the time to train me.

The pdf link you edited is just a test link. So, I tried to make another test link myself using all the characters you added to the first link to make it open in new tab.

Do you have time to look at what I did because mine doesn't work! I think I did exactly what you did.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 at 2:19 PM - Response #7

I just figured it out. I had spaces where none were needed! The word wrap made it appear to be identical to your example, though. Thank you, thank you. I think I'm good to go now to help the classmate that needed this option.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.