ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

I want to do my own Backups

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 10/19/09 06:25 PM Views: 1345 Replies: 4
Monday, October 19, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I love the new backup feature; however, are there any plans to allow us to download EVERYTHING from our website as a backup? You know, it's one of those control things . . .

Cheryl

Monday, October 19, 2009 at 6:32 PM - Response #1

No there are no plans for a "back up everything" feature. If we did that we'd actually have to export it out in a database format, which very few people here would be able to do anything with. That's why we've got the class list export feature in there already, that's why we've got the "all photo export" feature in there already, and that's why we've got the backup feature in there already for all pages too. I.E. you've essentially got a backup of everything now, baring specific Classmate Profile data, and a feature to export that is coming shortly too.

Just FYI, the entire system is backup up locally every night, and it's also backed up every 2 hours off site, which means even if the building that houses all of our servers and our local backups burns down, we'd just restore the entire system from our off site backup (which incidentally is stored on the Amazon.com cloud). Note, these 2 backups are our backups and are meant for catostrophic restore purposes only. Hopefully we'll never need either one of them, but we have them just in case something awful happens.

Sunday, April 27, 2014 at 6:37 PM - Response #2

Referring to the post above, what is:

"that's why we've got the backup feature in there already for all pages too"

That is, where is this backup feature?

I want to make a backup of our site pages and cannot find this backup feature anywhere.

Monday, April 28, 2014 at 9:18 AM - Response #3

What this is talking about is the Edit Site Page, then EDIT PAGE of any of the pages. If you have made any changes, there is a message similar to " View Backups (24) • Last Save: 04/12/14 03:11 PM" below the content editor. Click the "VIEW BACKUPS (24)" link and you can restore an old copy of your edit page.

Monday, April 28, 2014 at 2:00 PM - Response #4

Dick, As mentioned above, there are now handy options to download most member profile data, pictures, etc, using the options on the Edit Classmates page. And the system does do backups for you when you change a page - although the last time I wanted to use that the available backups didn't go back far enough to include what I was trying to recover.

But if you're really into 'belt and suspenders' backups, you can always back up a page by going to that page via Edit Site Pages, click on Edit Page, select Source, highlight and copy everything, and paste that into a notepad document. The contents of that document can be pasted into a test page, or replace what's in the original page if it somehow goes totally haywire.

It would be very nice if we could easily download the contents of the File/Image vault, but... you can still download the contents of the vault - one file at a time - by clicking on each file and then using a right-click and 'save image as'.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.