ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

current CC website format vs Responsive Design

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 03/08/16 02:53 PM Views: 1131 Replies: 16
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 2:53 PM

Moving forward: will CC continue to support non-Responsive Design websites? Inquiring now in case this will happen sometime in the future.
Thank you.
PS: to those Admin who switched to Responsive Design: your websites appear so clear and uncluttered. Our website was basically created using an iPad. My career often takes me to remote locations - with no PC available. Can someone clarify if switching to creating Responsive Design is possible using an iPad? Thank you.

Edited 03/08/16 2:55 PM
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 3:16 PM - Response #1

Hi Elena,

non-responsive designs will still be allowed to exist on the system. The main benefit for responsive designs is the increased use of Tablets and Smart Phones. If your users are primarily using desktop/laptop computers they should have no problem using the system.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 4:09 PM - Response #2

Hey Jessica,

I just went into my responsive design web site and everything appears to be there on my iPad that was on the laptop when I converted it. I didn't use the iPad to do the conversion, but it looks fine to me.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 4:21 PM - Response #3

Thank you, Jessica. A potential design change will depend on how long it takes to update our website.

Thanks, Johnny - exclusively I access our website using smart phone or iPad. Responsive Design has a clean look.
Might try, if Responsive Design can be created on an iPad.

Edited 03/13/16 2:31 PM
Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 4:45 PM - Response #4

That all depends on your screen size, device and page contents.

On a full size 1920x1080 PC screen, the layout is too wide and difficult to read if there is a lot of text. There's a reason columns are used on many sites (like a newspaper). IOW, it looks like both empty (too much white space around images) and too busy in terms of text width.

There are also many 'gotchas' that some are now discovering. It's easy to make the site "non-responsive" using common widgets and other common layouts because the CC editor is not aware of responsive design layout controls.

I recommend viewing a site on a full PC screen as well as a smaller screen. It's easy to switch back and forth to see both types of layouts.

But it can look fine if one puts the work required into the design changes. Wink

Elena Giannasio wrote:

Responsive Design has a clean look.
Might try, if Responsive Design can be created on an iPad.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 5:50 PM - Response #5

Thanks,Jack - your class website is inspiring. However, I haven't used a PC in a long time. When able to use a PC, will investigate. I'm not at all well-versed in tech speak!

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 at 11:21 PM - Response #6

Happy to hear CC will continue supporting the non-responsive design. I haven't switched to the Responsive Design for the reason Jack mentions: easily readable text on a full PC is an absolute must for me. My eyes get quickly fatigued reading the text on some of the responsive design sites I've visited. Too far for the eye to travel before going to the next line.

Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 1:23 PM - Response #7

Here's a question. If I change to Responsive design on a PC and then I do not like the way things look, is it easy (or even possible) to change back to non-responsive? Will an event created in non-responsive design look the same in responsive?

Tuesday, March 15, 2016 at 1:07 PM - Response #8

Barbara - Yes, simply go back to the Change Design page, select the View Legacy Designs link and reselect from the list.

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 4:35 PM - Response #9

Is it still true that you can "simply go back to the Change Design page, select the View Legacy Designs link and reselect from the list." ?

I'm about to try the conversion soon, and getting stuck between the two is my biggest fear at this point.

Also, has there been a video done of converting from Legacy to Responsive?

Edited 07/25/23 4:35 PM
Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 5:23 PM - Response #10

There's a slight bug going back and forth, but I forget what it is ATM. I reported it a long time ago. Might be fixed. Something maybe to do with background? Restore pretty much gets you back to Legacy.

I'd make a free TEST site first and experiment there. The only hard part about Responsive is picking the choices. It's not well documented nor explained.

A test site is the best way to try stuff out. You can copy your pages to a test site and find out right away how to pick the right choices. You have to upload any images that reside on your site to duplicate exactly. But for a quick look and see that can be delayed.

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 10:23 PM - Response #11

EXCELLENT, Jack! I never would have thought of that! Brilliant!

So, if that's the case, I could have my Live site on the left screen and a test site in a different browser on the right and copy "Source" code from old pages to paste to a new (separate) Responsive site ? (Presuming there's a Source functionality on Responsive?)

I don't mind teaching myself Responsive, but if I'm going to hit brick walls that I need time to rectify, I'd rather NOT do it on my LIVE site and have to jump from Responsive to Legacy several times "with everyone watching"Mad

Thanks (again) Jack!

Tuesday, July 25, 2023 at 11:48 PM - Response #12

Exactly. Use the editor source mode to copy pages. Images that reside on your site will have to be copied to the test site if they are in your file vault.

Ignore the "ads" that make it a bit annoying Evil or Very Mad Not well placed IMO.

Happy testing and thanks

Edited 07/25/23 11:49 PM
Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 8:37 PM - Response #13

How and where do you make a test site?

Wednesday, July 26, 2023 at 9:25 PM - Response #14

Hi Meg,

Just go to classcreator.com - Build Site and choose a year that is very unlikely to be needed like 1900. If you send me a link to it I can remove it from the findable school finder list.

Jessica
Class Creator Support

Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 3:22 PM - Response #15

Okey Dokey, Jessica . . . remove this from the findable school finder list, please.Wink (Who woulda thunk of using 1900 . . . Shocked )

https://www.classcreator.com/Minneapolis-Minnesota-Southwest-1900/class_index.cfm

Edited 07/27/23 3:22 PM
Thursday, July 27, 2023 at 4:02 PM - Response #16

All set for Minneapolis-Minnesota-Southwest-1900

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.