ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Adding a photo link to the message board

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 08/30/09 03:42 PM Views: 2204 Replies: 29
Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Brad, I tried adding a photo onto the message board and all I got was a box with an X in it. This is what I wrote. Tell me what I did wrong. (I took it off since then.) Thanks, Val

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 5:30 PM - Response #1

I see no such file name in your File Vault. You need to upload your image to File Vault before you can link to it. Where are you uploading it?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 5:37 PM - Response #2

How do you upload an image to file vault?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 6:37 PM - Response #3

1) Click FAQs above
2) Click Questions About Building Your Site
3) Read Question #7

In general it's easier to add images to the new forums, since it's all automated from a yellow "image icon". But you can do it in the old forums too by reading Question #7 and then linking directly to your image.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 7:07 PM - Response #4

Thanks Brad, I'll give it a shot. You'll be the first who will hear about it if it doesn't work!!

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 7:24 PM - Response #5

Brad, well I read #7 but all it said was how you upload a photo on any page. I am talking about the message board where you have to write your own html. The photos in question have been uploaded to the site already. Now what? I have them up right now if you want to take a look. Thanks, Val

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 8:24 PM - Response #6

Heh. Smile We'll get there. Every photo you upload to your web site, regardless of the page, goes into File Vault. In your case, where you're manually linking to an image, you have to link to the file residing somewhere on the server. Typically that would be to a file in your File Vault. Unless you're trying to link a photo that's been uploaded to a Classmate's Profile, or something in your threaded forums (which are NOT the same as the forums you're using) or something like that. Where specifically did you upload the file you're attempting to link to?

Edited 08/30/09 8:25 PM
Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM - Response #7

The photos I uploaded are on the video corner page that I made. I know the photos are in the photo bucket, they are on the site. And the place I'm trying to put the link is on the messageboard page. Does that answer your question? Am I supposed to put in the html that particular page where the photo is? I just added the extra: class_custom7.cf to the rest of the html but that didn't work either.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM - Response #8

Now I have

I'm making a mess.....but on the outside it's still a box with an X so you are the only one who knows what a mess it is behind it!

HtsReunion is the name of my file on my computer to put all the hts photos.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 10:03 PM - Response #9

You're on the right path but you're not linking to the file where it actually resides. Here's what I want you to do:

1) Go into edit mode for any page.
2) Click the chain link icon (NOT the yellow Image icon)
3) Click the File Vault button
4) Click directly on your file name, then click the Insert button to the right of the file name.
5) Press OK and return to your editor window.
6) You'll now see the entire image path. Copy it and use that link in your img src tag. That's the link you need to your file.

Note: You are doing the steps above just to get the proper link. Do not save your page after doing these steps, or you'll save the link to your file on the page. After copying your link, don't press the Save button, and instead just go to your forums to try pasting in the link.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 10:32 PM - Response #10

I finally got into the photobucket...very cute..Man this is a lot of work!! Anyways, is this what it's supposed to say now? It still doesn't work so it's obviously not correct yet...

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM - Response #11

Hey Brad, don't you ever go to sleep?

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 11:21 PM - Response #12

Hang in there. Smile Once you get it once, it'll be easy thereafter.

You were close. Your link is: http://www.classcreator.com/000/2/6/6/3662/userfiles/image/papasbag00.jpg

Had you actually gone through with inserting the file, saved the page, loaded it live, and clicked the link, you would have gone directly to the link I just pasted above. I didn't tell you to do that and you pasted in your school path, which actually isn't in there at all unless you're using a domain name with your site.

Sunday, August 30, 2009 at 11:54 PM - Response #13

FINALLY!! SUCCESS! Thank you so much, mostly for your patience! I really appreciate it. Whew! It's been some night...

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 2:25 AM - Response #14

Is that how you add a video link as well?

The embed code has been removed.

There is just the link.

It is a you tube link.

Edited 08/31/09 2:26 AM
Monday, August 31, 2009 at 2:47 AM - Response #15

The same technique would be how you link to your own uploaded video, such as a video you've uploaded in the .wmv format (Windows Media Format). If you want to embed a Youtube video, you need to embed it the same way you embed any other object:

1) Click FAQs above
2) Click Questions About Building Your Site
3) Read Question #19

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 10:45 AM - Response #16

What about adding music to the site? I've tried going through the procedures outlined and I keep getting a box with all the link information showing on the site. Can't that be hidden?

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 11:10 AM - Response #17

Hey Brad, one more question, on the photo bucket, are you supposed to keep the photos you put into the photo bucket or are you supposed to delete them after you use them. And if you delete them, does that take the photo off of where you originally placed it? So if you keep them in the photo bucket, you could literally have hundreds of photos in there someday?

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 12:40 PM - Response #18

Ede Graves wrote:

What about adding music to the site? I've tried going through the procedures outlined and I keep getting a box with all the link information showing on the site. Can't that be hidden?

You need to press the "Source" button in the upper left corner of your editor before pasting any third party source code into your site. Otherwise everything just comes out as visible text. I fixed it for ya.

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 12:42 PM - Response #19

Val O'Connor wrote:

Hey Brad, one more question, on the photo bucket, are you supposed to keep the photos you put into the photo bucket or are you supposed to delete them after you use them. And if you delete them, does that take the photo off of where you originally placed it? So if you keep them in the photo bucket, you could literally have hundreds of photos in there someday?

Just so we don't confuse people, what you're calling Photo Bucket is actually called File Vault. There is a third party system out there called Photo Bucket where people also store images and other materials sometimes, so I want to be clear we're talking about File Vault, which is where images are permanently stored on your web site.

Yes, you MUST leave all images in File Vault that you want to display on your site. If you remove a file from File Vault that you were displaying somewhere on your site, the image will also disappear there. Thus make sure you only delete something from File Vault if you're really done with it and no longer wish to use the image anywhere on your site.

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 5:08 PM - Response #20

And this file vault is only for the message board? Everywhere else on the site you just upload photos from your photo file on your computer? Sorry but this is a bit confusing, first time I ever saw the file vault was last night and I've been uploading photos onto the site since October...

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 5:25 PM - Response #21

I understand your confusion. You've been uploading photos to your File Vault the entire time. We just never had an option to actually enter your File Vault and manage the photos you've previously uploaded. And now we do. Simple as that. We added the File Vault button 4 months ago or so.

Monday, August 31, 2009 at 5:41 PM - Response #22

OK. So when I went into the file vault it was empty and then I put in those two photos for the message board and that was that. So are you telling me there are different parts to the file vault, one that you can't see and one that you can see? And next time I go into it, will I see those two pictures I just added or will they be somewhere else inside it too and it will look empty again?

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 12:14 AM - Response #23

No they will be in there. Can you give me an example of a photo on your web site that is not in your File Vault?

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 12:24 AM - Response #24

Brad, I have learned a lot about this site in the past couple of days trying to achieve a few new things and am getting a better grasp on it. I design websites and use frontpage so I am familiar with html and formatting photos and all that stuff but this file vault just threw me for a loop but I am starting to understand where it is. When I put those two photos into the message board, the vault looked to be empty. Today when I was adding a photo I saw the link to go into the photo vault and I saw all the billions of photos I have already put in. I think the message board is in a different location than the rest from what I could see. I had to use the source button today for the first time and was able to throw in a whole photo album, very resourceful. Up to now I didn't know how to get behind the pages like I do in Frontpage. It's just different working on this format and I just need to explore more, time is valuable as you well know. Thanks for all your help, I very much appreciate it.

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 12:28 AM - Response #25

Any time. Smile

Tuesday, September 1, 2009 at 8:36 AM - Response #26

Brad,

After re-reading this thread, it wasn't talking about the User Forums, but these questions can still be relevant.

I can't see the File Vault in my Image Upload of the User Forums. Am I supposed to? I am using the Visual Editor and not the "BBML Editor". The Image Upload button only shows UPLOAD NOW, no "File Vault" button. I have uploaded an image and it made no difference. Is it because one is hosted on classcreator.com and the other is classforums.net?

Another thing - In my Forum Preferences, there is an option to show the yearbook photo if they haven't selected a master photo. I have the option turned ON, but several of the "members" don't have any photos still.

Last item (for this thread): Editing "My Settings" in the User Forums, there is the text "Note: You can specify a photo to appear with your forum posts from the Edit/Upload Photos link on the left navigation." but it doesn't say how to specify the photo or to choose the photo.

Edited 09/01/09 8:59 AM
Monday, September 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM - Response #27

Because Classmates can also attach files to forum posts we don't have the File Vault at all in that area.

Can you give me a Classmate name who has a yearbook photo and it's not displaying as a Master Photo?

On the photos page it says how to select a Master Photo and where the Mater Photo is used.

Monday, September 14, 2009 at 1:32 PM - Response #28

All of my classmates have yearbook photos.

But on the User Forums/Members page, only those classmates who have uploaded photos show a photo on the Members page. Do they have to post something first before a photo will appear?

Here are two of the many classmates:
KeriLee B.ackman D.ansie
Janet B.eckstrom E.dwards
(mangled the names so they don't show up in a Google search)

Monday, September 14, 2009 at 1:38 PM - Response #29

Yes, when they come for the first time and go through the initial account screen and post.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.