ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

Unwanted links showing up in browser

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 11/16/12 03:16 PM Views: 1626 Replies: 5
Friday, November 16, 2012 at 3:16 PM
CC with ad links showing.jpg

Probably related to browser settings - but don't know where to find - but this is happening on CC, so if you can help, please advise. I have brought up a classmate to send a note to. As I start the message I notice several terms turn into hot links: specifically at least in the case "Military service" "Private Message" and "subject" . When I hover over them there are ads that would pop up if actually clicked. This only is seen in FF, but not in Chrome. This happens on other web sites and often the link is from 'servads.com' I expect there is some browser setting to change in FF and is not an ad via CC. Can you please advise - screenshot attached - thanks

Friday, November 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM - Response #1

Sounds like you have "AdWare" (a malware product that shows different words highlighted as links). You should probably get a malware remover program. The one I recommend is www.malwarebytes.org . It is free and can remove the malware from your computer.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 2:59 PM - Response #2
HHS 21 Nov- FF Not OK Person.jpg

Partially correct. I did not have Malwarebytes installed. I did install it; did full scan; rebooted and did full scan again...and just today did a quick scan - each time removing a couple of small pieces from "215 apps" However has not changed and in fact may be worse, but I'm noticing ads on right side and bottom toolbar for other similar sounding links shows up ONLY ON FF. And also no standard class photos nor the icons on profile page showing up. attached are four screen shots 2 google showing OK; 2 in FF not OK; One with a profile that shows his own photo at the bottom works, but class photo not, and the other showing no icons on home Page. I am SURE it is my problem...but don't know where to find correct settings in FF ver 16.0.2 - should I go back a few versions? Might it be from my own domain hhs63.com that is linked to CC site - but only in FF is trouble and only on our hhs63.com site, not the forums or other websites. No extensions seen; multiple plug-ins seen but none seem wacky. Further thoughts?

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM - Response #3

If the problem is only happening in FF, then by definition, the problem is with FF. The likely answer is that you have installed an extension or plugin to FF (either along with something else you intended to install or it might have been a "drive-by" install when you visited a malicious website or clicked a bad link) that is causing this.

Check the Add-ons menu option in the Tools menu to see what you have installed, and remove or disable anything that you are not sure you want installed. If that doesn't do it, then disable ALL add-ons, ad then try turning them on one at a time and reloading your website until you determine which one is responsible.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 5:12 PM - Response #4

Will Try Eric - makes sense. But as it is only happening on FF AND in hhs63.com and not in CC or other sites, I chose to get a response from a responsible party - will try that...thanks

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 5:26 PM - Response #5

That seemed to do it...and all of a sudden where NO extensions had appeared, a lot showed up...so i found some couponing and similar ones and removed them - thank you !

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.