ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

In Memory

Forums: Questions and Answers About Building Your Site
Created on: 06/24/10 11:18 AM Views: 1555 Replies: 10
Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I just saw this "Light a candle" on a site and I think it is a pretty good idea. What do you think?
http://www.tributes.com/show/Chuck-Walters-88754655

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 11:48 AM - Response #1

I've seen these on Funeral Home sites and really liked the idea. Using it here could really be nice!

I'm thinking we could provide a lit candle graphic that could be copied and added as a picture, by each visitor in the comments area, but I have a feeling this will be too complicated for most of our 68'ers! I'm thinking I could edit them into postings, but I'm guessing most admins will think this is too much work? Maybe Brad could just write a single candle into the program for each comment? (for his LONG list of things to do later? )Laughing

Ray, I really like the idea and will be interested to see ideas from other admins!

Ruth

Edited 06/25/10 11:59 AM
Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 3:34 PM - Response #2

Hello,
Light a Candle is a great idea for the Memory page. But I also agree that it might be asking too much from members so they won't use it. However, right now a rose is placed next to the name of deceased classmates with an obituary or short bio. Maybe we can request Brad (we love him) to consider switching to a candle instead of a rose? I wonder how the other admins feel about it? If you agree, let's put in a request to our esteemed leader..

Edited 06/24/10 3:40 PM
Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 5:02 PM - Response #3

Thelma Alcordo wrote:

Hello,
Light a Candle is a great idea for the Memory page. But I also agree that it might be asking too much from members so they won't use it. However, right now a rose is placed next to the name of deceased classmates with an obituary or short bio. Maybe we can request Brad (we love him) to consider switching to a candle instead of a rose? I wonder how the other admins feel about it? If you agree, let's put in a request to our esteemed leader..

I like the idea of a candle...rose is great for the women..and a candle would be nice for a man...I just make it more complicated...Laughing

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 5:33 PM - Response #4

Ah! I like your idea better.
Rose for the lady and a candle for men.
S-h-u-s-h...even in death we're different.

Edited 06/24/10 5:35 PM
Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 5:50 PM - Response #5

Thelma Alcordo wrote:

Ah! I like your idea better.
Rose for the lady and a candle for men.
S-h-u-s-h...even in death we're different.

Yep...just ask my hubby...he's a Funeral Director/Embalmer!! Twisted EvilExclamationExclamationExclamationExclamation

Friday, June 25, 2010 at 10:52 AM - Response #6

Just to be clear about my idea. I really like the rose showing up with a comment or obit. It shows a little respect for the deceased IMHO. As for the candle I was just thinking about a way to get people to participate. Right now we have 3,779 in In Memory of those we have over half that have a rose. I am trying to have all in IM to have a rose. I was just thinking of the candle of a way someone can participate without being too actively involved. Sort of like the "Like" button on facebook. I found that people just do not "Post Comment' even when they have a question or would like to know more. I guess they do not want to look bad or something I am not sure but I do know that when you "Post Comment" you are sort of putting yourself out there. So a candle would be like a "like" button of course it would not mean like it would be respect.

Friday, June 25, 2010 at 11:57 AM - Response #7

Ray, this is what I was thinking too. I like the rose exactly the way Class Creator designed it.

My thought was to use the candle as an addition to the In Memory page. Perhaps adding a candle only would be an option in the comments area. The candle could be in a box with a heading that reads something like this: "If this person was your friend, or touched your life in some way, please add a candle in their memory". Each candle might be identified with the person's name, initials, or nothing at all, as they prefer. Many people who feel uncomfortable writing something formal, might really like this option.

Edited 06/25/10 12:02 PM
Friday, June 25, 2010 at 12:33 PM - Response #8

I went into each deceased classmate and put a period (.) in the comment box.. Now there's a rose next to each name.

Friday, June 25, 2010 at 12:41 PM - Response #9

Lynda, I added this message: ** If you have an obit or information about ??? to post here, please contact ******.

My thinking is that if someone takes the time to open the obit, they are interested in that person. It may give them a push to forward info they have, to be posted on the page.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 10:11 AM - Response #10

Exactly!
I am sure Brad does not have too much on his plate right now and has time to do this in the next day or 400. He is probaly watching the Phillies right now! or Cubs?

Ruth Music wrote:

Ray, this is what I was thinking too. I like the rose exactly the way Class Creator designed it.

My thought was to use the candle as an addition to the In Memory page. Perhaps adding a candle only would be an option in the comments area. The candle could be in a box with a heading that reads something like this: "If this person was your friend, or touched your life in some way, please add a candle in their memory". Each candle might be identified with the person's name, initials, or nothing at all, as they prefer. Many people who feel uncomfortable writing something formal, might really like this option.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.