ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Family website

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 05/22/09 12:28 PM Views: 3297 Replies: 14
Friday, May 22, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Hello,

I am wondering if anything has been set up for a family website? I have inquired a while back but have not kept up with forum postings to see if there have been any updates.

Thank you!

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 4:09 PM - Response #1

A separate family web site system using the Class Creator engine is something we have planned to start later this year. How quickly it will launch after that depends on a variety of things including tasks, workflow, staff, user requests and more. Rough estimate, look for the family system either very late this year or at the latest early next year. For the moment our sole focus has to be Class Creator until this system is "done" (whatever that means).

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 4:17 PM - Response #2

Could you explain what you mean by a family website?

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 4:28 PM - Response #3

Sure. When we launched Class Creator, an interesting and unexpected thing happend. People began using the system for family web sites, neighborhood web sites, church web sites, military reunion web sites, singing group web sites and a variety of other things. Check out this family site if you want to see what I mean, that was built using the regular Class Creator system.

Long story short, when Class Creator is more complete (with integrated live chat and galleries and other things) we'll be spinning off the codebase into specific systems, like family site systems, and will then allow the codebase to grow separately from there to best meet the needs of those specific niches.

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM - Response #4

Wow! I went to that family website and was blown away! What a GREAT use of Class Creator! Who knew?

Friday, May 22, 2009 at 4:46 PM - Response #5

We were a little surprised ourselves. Smile The various niches that our system can potentially cover became very apparent just by seeing what people are using it for.

Monday, June 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM - Response #6

Brad of Jess:

If I buy another classmate site now and use as a family site, when your real one comes out later this year or next year, will I be able to just change over to the new one without losing any of the work? Will there be add'l costs to do that?

Thanx,
Cheryl

Monday, June 29, 2009 at 5:58 PM - Response #7

Cost is undecided. We may even try an optional ad system to keep costs down or free. We'll see. So many Class Creator features have backed up that we'll be focusing on this system for quite some time still. I have somebody working on some investment money to get some of the other systems in place faster if possible -- that's on the table currently so we'll see about that.

No, the systems will be totally separate and there will be no conversion utility. You'd need to rebuid. You could pretty easily copy and paste source code from one system to the other though. Family members would have to rebuild their Profiles. For the most part they could copy and paste too though. But anyway no, once the family site is live it will be an entity of its own, and will grow in ways entirely different from Class Creator.

Saturday, July 4, 2009 at 7:58 AM - Response #8

Boy Brad, I really need to get a life. Here it is 4th of July and I'm sitting here reading posts and thinking about other uses for your site. I'm really excited about the Family site. I have over 13,000 names in my .gedcom but what good is it if I can't share it interactively. Hope it will have gedcom capability which we talked about before. Anyway, that got me to thinking. I work in rescuing animals and finding them forever homes. Lots of people send me pictures of their pets in their new homes and tell me what new cute thing they are doing. Each year, we have a pet reunion. This site will be perfect for that! So, don't be surprised when "Classmate" photos start showing up as dogs, cats or horses.

Thanks for this incredible site Brad. By the way, multiple site discount?? Very Happy

Saturday, July 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM - Response #9

Heh. Smile Ok, thanks for putting me on notice.

I'm working on getting some new people in the door so we can hopefully get to some more projects. Family system, sites for any purpose, etc. We just completed a move to a larger building so we have some space now.

Yes the system will support gedcom files. No we have no plans for multi site discounts.

All right, the grill awaits. Smile

Monday, November 2, 2009 at 3:13 PM - Response #10

I recently started thinking about tools to create and manage a family web site and thought I would start with a search here to see if the topic had come up. It's great to see that ClassCreator has future plans in this area. I took a quick look at the family web site that Brad mentions earlier in this thread; it looks good. I'm thinking some additional functionality for family trees and photo galleries would also be helpful. In case I start working on this sooner than later, has anyone come across other good tools in this area?

Thanks,
Paul

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM - Response #11

Family Website will be AWESOME...and not to mention cheaper then Ancestory.com.... May family has been using that for a few years and it has gotten pretty expensive so each family has taken turns on footing the fee. But some families can't afford so this will be great if the price stays as that of Classcreator..
On Ancestory.com we already have over 800 family pictures and documents that date back to early 1800's..we are up to eight generations...AWESOME!!
we even burned DVDs for mementos after our last reunion...we try to have them every five or so years...How families grow and besides good way for our kids, grandkids and future kids to know where they came from....
Looking forward to the family website here...

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 at 8:06 PM - Response #12

WOW! This is a wonderful idea!

Sunday, July 7, 2019 at 8:27 PM - Response #13

Have you created the family website yet?
Was thinking I'll try the free to see if family would use the site and help fund a classcreator site.
Sainting for temporary passwords to view the two sites I've found.
You know of other family sites?
Kkelly

Monday, July 8, 2019 at 11:55 PM - Response #14

Progress on the "family websites" has seemed to stop. You can still create a family website using any high school and choosing an early graduating year, like 1900. Then choosing the Change Design and remove the "High School" from the name.

I don't know what "Sainting for temporary passwords" means. Maybe it is a typo.

You can page through the 75 pages of classes who have created a website on ClassCreator to find any other family websites.

http://forums.classcreator.com/members.cfm

You can use the browser's search to search for the word "Family" .. I found on page 25 that there are two "Family" websites. Page 26 there is another one. It is not a foolproof way because on Page 27, there is "Holy family school" which is probably a school. Page 20 has three.

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.