ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Reply Subscription Options  

Hi-jacking On Non Class Sites

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 06/23/17 07:17 PM Views: 1191 Replies: 8
Friday, June 23, 2017 at 7:17 PM

Is hi-jacking more or less prevalent on non-class sites such as churches, home owner associations, clubs, etc.?

We haven't started having sign-ups yet and I am trying to decide if we should have verification or not. We could possibly have upwards of 250 or so register.

Would it be possible to add a question in the profile generator that would establish verification?

Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 3:46 PM - Response #1

I don't know exactly how you are going to 'sign people up,' but do you have an existing membership list {Excel CSV} with email addresses for each?
That would be a good starting point to upload such.

Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 4:21 PM - Response #2

I have already uploaded all of the names and email addresses that were available (about 2/3 of the members). This is for our church and many of the members are concerned about security, hacking, etc., which is not really a problem with Classcreator. But that's not always easy to explain even though I have tried hard to do that.

If there is a chance that hi-jacking could occur because this is a church site (religion is not looked on favorable by some segments of our society today), I would like not to have the members' names hanging out there for all to see.

I have another post about using the system password to join the site here:

http://forums.classcreator.com/messages.cfm?threadid=90AD18BB-ECF4-BBD7-B960A80C58E9B8E8

Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM - Response #3

With that size group I'd suggest having them sign up with a password and then password protecting many pages on your site. That insures the privacy and security. If you block the Profiles page and leave open the Missing Classmates (or whatever you will call them on your site) that is further protection that your registered member list is not out there for Joe Public to view.

Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 6:00 PM - Response #4

I currently have the profiles page and the missing page restricted. Entering the site with the system password should take me to the members page or somehow let them join. Even if I don't restrict the missing page it will still not take me to it with the system password.

See the other thread in the previous post above.

I also do not have the "Login" button activated from the home page but when I do activate it, it only activates the "Sign In" button but no "join" button.

Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 9:53 PM - Response #5

I don't see a 'perfect' way to do what you want to do, but... Giving out instructions on how go to the site (with a link that will trigger the Restricted page), including the system password (and how to sign in using the System Password supplied), and THEN go to the Member Profile list and click on their name is about as safe as you can get. Explain that they will create their own id and password when they 'register' and the system password will no longer be needed.

I found that if I have the login box enabled, I do get the JOIN button, but that may be a difference between an older template and the Responsive Design template. In any case, with both Member Profiles page and Missing page restricted, both Join and Sign In go to the Restricted page - with no join option.

That's all obviously more complicated than it could be, but if privacy is one of the main concerns it's workable. At least in my case, the Sign In box would make it easier to both register and sign in later.

Leaving both the Member Profile list and the "Missing" page locked will keep anyone who doesn't have the system password (or hasn't registered) away from your member names.

That said, I'd still turn on Admin Verify. There is a remote chance that some outsider will gain access to the instructions you provide and hijack one of the names.

Saturday, June 24, 2017 at 10:34 PM - Response #6

You have touched on most all of the things that I have decided to do -- at least today.

I will have a link for members on the home page that goes to a Join button (my own button). That button is set up with an email link that will get sent to me through the website with their name and email address. I will respond with an email that contains a link to the Member page and also the system password. So on the way to the Member page they will input the SP and it will take them to the member page where they can join.

It sounds a little more complicated than I think it will be but by doing this it really eliminates hi-jacking because there are no member names for them to click on -- they have to tell me who they are in the system generated email. So it works out to cover privacy, hi-jacking and verification all at once.

Jim

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 1:04 AM - Response #7

Hi, Jim. Sorry I missed getting into the discussion when you started it. I replied to another post you wrote here in the forums.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017 at 1:27 AM - Response #8

Yes, I know the two threads kind of morphed into a crisscrossing thing - not what was intended -- sorry. But lots of good information and ideas are coming out of it.

Thanks,
Jim

New Topic Reply  
Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.