ClassCreator.com | Blockbuster sites, amazing reunions

Share Tips

New Topic Subscription Options  

How do you place senior photo onto profile

Forums: General Discussion
Created on: 01/25/10 08:14 PM Views: 1428 Replies: 7
Monday, January 25, 2010 at 8:14 PM

I am VERY new to this, and over 50..so bear with me. How do I place the individual senior picture onto the classmates page? Thank you for helping.

Monday, January 25, 2010 at 8:26 PM - Response #1

Diane Mayer wrote:

I am VERY new to this, and over 50..so bear with me. How do I place the individual senior picture onto the classmates page? Thank you for helping.

Hi Diane, the answer to that is in the FAQ's. Go to Questions about Building Your Site, then look at bullet #9. The last "paragraph" of that item lists the steps:

Quote:

If you wish to upload Yearbook photos for your Classmates follow these steps:

1. Click on Manage Classmates
2. Click on the Enter/Edit Classmates Manually button
3. Click the "Add" link under the Senior Photo column.
4. Click the "Browse" button next to the Yearbook Photo field to select a Classmate's Yearbook photo from your hard drive, then click the "Save Changes" button.

Hope that helps...

Friday, December 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM - Response #2

With this function, do you have to have an individual yearbook photo for each classmate? Generally the yearbook has a page of a dozen of them. What is the easiest way to scan these photos but be able to use individual photos for individual classmates..... Thanks!

Friday, December 6, 2013 at 5:35 PM - Response #3

Hi Susan, yes unfortunately you'll have to provide the individual photos of your classmates. That means doing a crop & export or cut 'n paste, depending upon what tools you might be using for creating the classmate head shot photos from your scanned yearbook pages.

We had >600 grads in our 3-year reunion group, and it took a little while to do, but you get into a rhythm after a while and just power through the tedium Smile

[ClassCreator support - if you're reading this, maybe you could do some kind of automated photo excerpting function that creates classmate photos from a scanned page? Would be a neat function IMO. I think one of my (Canon?) scanner apps had a similar function, it was called multi-crop and would automatically detect edges of photos on a page but give me a chance to alter and add selected areas to generate "sub" pictures from a single larger image]

Edited 12/06/13 5:36 PM
Friday, December 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM - Response #4

That's a neat idea Allen - the ability to multi-crop and get each one saved as a distinct image, even manually, would be a great time saver.

As I recall, the Canon app is meant for multiple distinct photos placed on the bed, not extracting them from a page as in a yearbook.

I wonder if there's an app that does that somewhere as an add-on to one of the image editing programs.Question

Friday, December 6, 2013 at 6:57 PM - Response #5

Susan,

The answer is NO, it isn't required to have an individual yearbook photo for each classmate. It is a good idea to have one for each classmate, but not a requirement.

Those classmates without a yearbook photo will still be listed with the default photo for those classmates.

The photo uploaded for the yearbook photo should be an individual yearbook photo, not the entire page of photos.

Friday, December 6, 2013 at 7:12 PM - Response #6

I noticed that the question on how to do this may not be crystal clear:

The easiest way to get individual pictures of each classmate is

1. scan each page with the classmate photos (200-300 dpi)
2. save the page with all the images.
3. Open the page image in an image editor
4. draw a select tool around each classmate picture, one at a time.
5. Save the cropped image.

The details vary depending on the editing program used.

I use "copy" (that copies the selection), then "paste as new image" and then save. Repeat for each image. Repeat for each page.

Be sure to keep the selected area pretty close to the same for each classmate photo. This will help when if you ever want to make name badges. I think a good size is 124 x 175, but I could not locate any specifics. Maybe CC can repeat the specs.

Susan Clary wrote:

With this function, do you have to have an individual yearbook photo for each classmate? Generally the yearbook has a page of a dozen of them. What is the easiest way to scan these photos but be able to use individual photos for individual classmates..... Thanks!

Saturday, December 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM - Response #7

Thanks Kyle, it's true that classmate grad photos for each profile are indeed *optional*. I interpreted Susan's question in a different context, that if she wanted to have them, whether the administrator would have to do each classmate - manually or if there was an automatic way to have them put against classmate profiles.

I see Jack liked my suggestion Smile And it would probably work for most old-style rogue's gallery mugshots, but modern desktop publishing and most "arty" presentation designs might make it more difficult to automate extracting grad photos from more recent yearbooks. I've seen some pretty impressive page designs in those publications Smile

Kyle Erickson wrote:

Susan,
The answer is NO, it isn't required to have an individual yearbook photo for each classmate. It is a good idea to have one for each classmate, but not a requirement.

Those classmates without a yearbook photo will still be listed with the default photo for those classmates.

The photo uploaded for the yearbook photo should be an individual yearbook photo, not the entire page of photos.

Subscription Options: Have all new forum posts sent directly to your email.
Subscription options are available after you log in.